krivahan
krivahan
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:46
Czech to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2019

Hi all,
is there any way to split a segment in XTM please? I couldn't find anything in XTM documetation or on Google. I know you can merge/demerge segments, but I'm not sure if it is possible to split segment that hasn't been merged before...
Does anyone have experience with this?
Many thanks for your answers!
Hana

tz7

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
splitting source segments Jan 28, 2019

Hello everyone,
XTM does not support splitting source segments for a very good reason: if you split a segment then it will not be matched with TM the next time you come to translate an update to the document. It is therefore better to translate the segment as it is.

Hans Christian von Steuber
Hans Christian von Steuber  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
English to German
+ ...
Splitting source segments Dec 26, 2020

I'm sorry, but that is not a very good reason. After the split, two or more shorter segments will be found, which is much more likely to be useful. I am currently translating a project with many segments that consist of multiple sentences where punctuation or spaces seem to have been forgotten and it's a royal pain not being able to split them. I would not want those bloated segments in my database.
Merry Christmas!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Splitting segments in XTM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »