Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?
Thread poster: WolfestoneGroup
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WOW Jan 10, 2019

Wow - 12,020 views and counting. Is this a record?

Dalibor Skalník
Dalibor Skalník  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:53
English to Czech
Using XTM Jan 11, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Dalibor Skalník wrote:
From the Tasks page I do not have any options to download XLIFF, nor can I download memory (which is usually crucial); in my case I can download XML source files, and there are 400 files. I [also] have no idea how to upload.

I have worked on at least two variants of XTM. The one variant allows one to download multiple files as a TIPP package, and the other variant allows one to download multiple files as a special kind of single XLIFF file called a "multi XLIFF", which is presumably a standard XLIFF file (as opposed to e.g. Trados' joined SDLXLIFF file which isn't really a normal XLIFF file).

So, in the Tasks view, click the nav burger to the left and select "Open file manager", and then click the cog icon under the heading "Offline translation" in the row for "All files" and select the appropriate option (e.g. XLIFF or multi XLIFF or TIPP). There'll be a hourglass (or similar), and then an "i" icon will appear next to the cog which contains a status report. The status you're hoping for is "Successful".

If there is no "Offline translation column, or if the "multi XLIFF" format is not available, then you can't use offline translation. If there is a TIPP option, you can **try** to use it but it adds an extra layer of complexity (see here and here). If you download individual XLIFF files, you have to upload them individually as well.

xtm1

xtm2

xtm3a

Also I am pretty sure that according to the instructions I have to use XTM.

Depending on how you look at it, if your XTM installation specifically has an "offline translation" feature, then are you are still using XTM even if you make use of the offline feature as a part of the process. A request to definitely use a specific tool generally only means that that tool must be the start and the end of the process, and that there will be no support for final delivery in any other format or system.

[Edited at 2019-01-10 14:09 GMT]

Ricki and Samuel, thank you both for the info

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hm Feb 26, 2019

My least favorite tool so far (to put it mildly), and I have used a number of them. Slow to use and very limited number of options. Would very much prefer if there could be some desktop editor to working in the browser.

Marinus Vesseur
Ekaterina Ovcharova
Carla Griecco
Kersti Skovgaard
Thomas T. Frost
Stepan Konev
Yael Deutsch

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not enjoyable. Gives me psychosomatic ailments. Mar 7, 2019

This is the kind of tool that makes you wonder: have any of their programmers actually sat next to a translator to see how they work, what problems they encounter? This is unbelievably bad. I am in the middle of a large project on their SAAS and I am shocked at how far behind they are. If you have ever worked with MemoQ, switching to XTM Cloud is like going back in time about 20 years. Had I know, I would have refused the job.

Not for me.

LJILJANA KRAGULJ
i-Translator
Carla Griecco
Kersti Skovgaard
Thomas T. Frost
Stepan Konev
Yael Deutsch

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Horrible Mar 8, 2019

1. Slow
2. Absurd security bug (sorry, "feature"), where you get locked out of your account if you haven't logged on for a while and PM has to unlock it for you. This always happens by surprise, without any prior notification, when you have just sat down to focus and start the job, but instead you have to wait for the PM to get back you. Setting aside whether this bug has any actual purpose except to annoy translators, the developers really can't program the server to prevent assignment of
... See more
1. Slow
2. Absurd security bug (sorry, "feature"), where you get locked out of your account if you haven't logged on for a while and PM has to unlock it for you. This always happens by surprise, without any prior notification, when you have just sat down to focus and start the job, but instead you have to wait for the PM to get back you. Setting aside whether this bug has any actual purpose except to annoy translators, the developers really can't program the server to prevent assignment of a job to locked account?
3. No combining of files into a view or cross-file search/replace or autopropagation possible. So if I am editing 5 files with a lot of overlap, and make a correction in one file, I have to write the correction down by hand on paper so I remember what it was and search for the text in every single document separately. It's absurd.
Collapse

i-Translator
Thomas T. Frost
Yael Deutsch

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Not enjoyable Mar 11, 2019

Mr Vesseur,
As XTM developers we were very sad to hear your critical opinion of our product. We assure you that we develop XTM in close cooperation with a number of translators and are always responsive to their insights and requests.

If you think that the XTM solution lags behind its (undeniably, very respectable) competitor, we would highly appreciate more descriptive feedback. If you can spare a moment, please describe the features you miss and the obstacles you encounter
... See more
Mr Vesseur,
As XTM developers we were very sad to hear your critical opinion of our product. We assure you that we develop XTM in close cooperation with a number of translators and are always responsive to their insights and requests.

If you think that the XTM solution lags behind its (undeniably, very respectable) competitor, we would highly appreciate more descriptive feedback. If you can spare a moment, please describe the features you miss and the obstacles you encounter when working with XTM, and pass them over our support team.

We would also like to emphasize that on our website you can find a wealth of user-friendly manuals and instructions on how to navigate through the interface. We also have a team of support ready to answer any questions and help you resolve any issues you may encounter when working with XTM TMS.

Thank you for your concern.

XTM International

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

This is the kind of tool that makes you wonder: have any of their programmers actually sat next to a translator to see how they work, what problems they encounter? This is unbelievably bad. I am in the middle of a large project on their SAAS and I am shocked at how far behind they are. If you have ever worked with MemoQ, switching to XTM Cloud is like going back in time about 20 years. Had I know, I would have refused the job.

Not for me.
Collapse

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Rating of the tool... Mar 21, 2019

Hi there,
You asked for opinions from users of this tool
I must say that other solutions such as SDL Trados Studio, memoQ or memsource are much more translator-friendly.
Drawbacks of this tool:
- it is very difficult to go through a translation and do global changes
- there is no proper concordance search - the one there is does not open in a second window, but always takes you away from the phrase you are currently translating. Very annoying.
- it is very di
... See more
Hi there,
You asked for opinions from users of this tool
I must say that other solutions such as SDL Trados Studio, memoQ or memsource are much more translator-friendly.
Drawbacks of this tool:
- it is very difficult to go through a translation and do global changes
- there is no proper concordance search - the one there is does not open in a second window, but always takes you away from the phrase you are currently translating. Very annoying.
- it is very difficult to maintain consistency across very similar phrases (often previous translations are not offered as fuzzy matches)
- it is not possible to open two similar documents at once, i.e. you cannot refer back and forth between both of them
- there is not proper speedy spellcheck function
- you cannot display invisible characters (i.e. blank spaces between words)
- there is no possibility for the translator to view the translation in final layout before handing it back to the agency/client
etc. etc.
All in all, I am much slower working with this tool and I feel that the quality you can achieve is lower due to the drawbacks mentioned above.
Hope this helps you decide...
Regards,

Tanja
Collapse

Yael Deutsch

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Rating of the tool... Mar 26, 2019

Dear Tanja,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with the proz.com community and us. All feedback from our users is most welcome. We would like to take this opportunity to explain and correct some of the comments:

In XTM, Concordance opens in a pop-up window, a new window or in a panel docked at the bottom of the Editor screen. When opened in the docked panel, concordance opens with a terminology recognition window to the right. You can drag the vertical line between
... See more
Dear Tanja,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with the proz.com community and us. All feedback from our users is most welcome. We would like to take this opportunity to explain and correct some of the comments:

In XTM, Concordance opens in a pop-up window, a new window or in a panel docked at the bottom of the Editor screen. When opened in the docked panel, concordance opens with a terminology recognition window to the right. You can drag the vertical line between concordance and terminology sections to adjust the space to your needs. There’s no need for you to leave the Editor to work on your Concordance searches.

The reasons for not receiving previous translations as fuzzy matches can be various. The best way would be to check if your segments have not been saved with a “Not approved” status, while your TM might be relying only on the “Approved” segment statuses. It is also recommended to check if the project you are working on has not been created for a different customer than the customer whose TM you’re using. If these steps won’t bring the desired effect you can contact our support team to help you boost XTM performance.

XTM boasts a user-friendly and easily accessible spellchecking tool. Spelling is checked automatically when you exit a segment. To spell check all the target segments, click the ABC icon. Your translations are checked for spelling using one of the 90 plus different language dictionaries. The text is checked for formatting, punctuation and localization. You can also run objective tests on the quality of translation using the linguistic quality assessment (LQA) functionality.

Currently, there are two special spaces supported by XTM: no-break space (accessible via the shortcut combination Ctrl+Shift+Space) and zero-width space (you can create a shortcut combination using the ‘spanner’ icon in the left-hand side icon bar); they are displayed as {sp} and {zwsp}.

It is possible to preview the translation before sending it back to your client. You can preview it by either using the preview icon from the translation editor, which is on the left-hand icon bar, or by going to the context menu of the project you’re working on, then to Manage files, where you’ll be able to generate the latest version of the files, download it and open it in your MS Word. You can also view it in a PDF format.

We would also like to emphasise that on our website (https://xtm.cloud/academy/) you can find plenty of materials and guidance regarding how to tailor our system to your needs.

Kind regards,

XTm International
Collapse

Dalibor Skalník
Dalibor Skalník  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Segment "Matched with segment from another file" May 27, 2019

From time to time XTM displays "Matched with segment from another file", shows fuzzy percentage but there is no translation available in the memory. How is the segment analyzed? It should be zero match. I do not have the other file. Can anybody epxlain?

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 21:53
English to Russian
Desktop editor & Export option Jul 24, 2019

G'day,
I have been approached by a friendly client who wants me to use XTM CCAT.
Please tell me if a desktop editor is available, which you download and install on your system, instead of working in browser? Most desktop editors of cloud tools that I used perform much batter than the browser's environment.
Besides, is there any option in XTM to export the bilingual data in a [mostly] convenient format, so that the translation and QA could be done outside XTM, and later to impo
... See more
G'day,
I have been approached by a friendly client who wants me to use XTM CCAT.
Please tell me if a desktop editor is available, which you download and install on your system, instead of working in browser? Most desktop editors of cloud tools that I used perform much batter than the browser's environment.
Besides, is there any option in XTM to export the bilingual data in a [mostly] convenient format, so that the translation and QA could be done outside XTM, and later to import the translation back into XTM? I have dedicated QA tools and proven routines which help me ensure top quality of my translations, they work with common file formats only.
Thank you.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@KD Jul 24, 2019

kd42 wrote:
[Is there] a desktop editor is available, which you download and install on your system, instead of working in browser?

No. The online editor is not bad, however.

Is there any option in XTM to export the bilingual data in a [mostly] convenient format...?

Sometimes -- it depends on the way the client's XTM is set up. In some versions of XTM, you can export but not import. In other versions of XTM, you can't even export. In the versions where you can export and import, the format is XLIFF. So, simply ask your client if you can do the translation offline, in XLIFF format. If he doesn't specifically say "yes", then you know.

I recently came across some instances where agencies run XTM on some kind of boxed-in system that gives the translator no access to the file management aspects of it at all.

I think my biggest gripe with XTM is that in most (almost all) cases, the majority of segments start and end on a tag, and since you're not the one in charge of the file filter, you can't fix it so that unnecessary starting and ending tags are not displayed. A big fix in XTM would be a feature whereby a translator can type his translation without entering the starting and ending tag, and then the tags get added automatically when you move tot the next segment. But I can't see such a feature being added.

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 21:53
English to Russian
Thank you Jul 25, 2019

Thanks a lot for your response, Samuel.

[Is there] a desktop editor
No. The online editor is not bad, however.
To me "online" means "bad". Most likely using the mouse will be required. And of course you can't seriously compare the speed of executable file with that of browser scripts, Internet connection and SSD storage.

Is there any option in XTM to export the bilingual data in a [mostly] convenient format...?
simply ask your client if you can do the translation offline, in XLIFF format. If he doesn't specifically say "yes", then you know.
Thanks, it's a valuable piece of advice.

I recently came across some instances where agencies run XTM on some kind of boxed-in system that gives the translator no access to the file management aspects of it at all.
Most cloud tools allow access level setting. The problem is normally with the client. And with the developer, of course. Some are too much agency-oriented. Some don't even respond to freelancer's questions.

I think my biggest gripe with XTM is that in most (almost all) cases, the majority of segments start and end on a tag, and since you're not the one in charge of the file filter, you can't fix it so that unnecessary starting and ending tags are not displayed. A big fix in XTM would be a feature whereby a translator can type his translation without entering the starting and ending tag, and then the tags get added automatically when you move tot the next segment. But I can't see such a feature being added.
All CAT tools have issues, the good ones have many advantages too. The main difference is whether the CAT is mostly translator-, or PM-, or CEO-friendly.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:53
English to Russian
Shift+F3 functionality Jul 25, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
the majority of segments start and end on a tag

I have only few such segments appearing from time to time. When a segment is entirely bold or italic, there are no tgas in XTM editor. In my experience, such opening and closing tags only appear for some other reason (defferent font maybe). My concern is that I cannot find a way to use the Shift+F3 functionality (change lower case to capitals). Does anybody know if I miss somethiing?

David Kimb
David Kimb
Indonesia
Local time: 02:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Depends what you're used to... Sep 11, 2019

I have been using XTM for quite a while and have to say I enjoy using it. At the same time, I do use other products (the usual suspects; trados etc.) so sometimes I need to remember which tool im using while working or else I can get frustrated like some of you have mentioned. Overall its a good tool IF you're not completely used to another tool!

limunet
limunet
Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
Surprising behaviour of XTM Cloud: Change segment status Nov 18, 2019

When I finish correcting a file, that not all segments are marked as Finished (green). Normally I simply use the feature "Change Segment Status" on all Segments.
However as for the first time, I decided to do a last check before completing the work. I decided to view which of the in-scope segments have a Non-Green status using the filter excluding specific statuses "Green", I was surprised by a few segments with "green-red-red" status.
This should not be the expected behaviour withi
... See more
When I finish correcting a file, that not all segments are marked as Finished (green). Normally I simply use the feature "Change Segment Status" on all Segments.
However as for the first time, I decided to do a last check before completing the work. I decided to view which of the in-scope segments have a Non-Green status using the filter excluding specific statuses "Green", I was surprised by a few segments with "green-red-red" status.
This should not be the expected behaviour within XTM, is it? Thanks for advising!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »