Thread poster: Doris Wolf
Doris Wolf
Doris Wolf  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Apr 4, 2020

Hello,

I have translated a text from a word document (docx) in Wordfast 3. In the txml has appeared a part of text which I cannot find in the correspondong source file. After converting, it did not appear in the target file either. Regarding the context, it would be important for me to see the original layout of this part of text which consists of disjointed keywords (I guess it is a table). I am sure it must be somewhere in the word file, because if not, it would not appear in the
... See more
Hello,

I have translated a text from a word document (docx) in Wordfast 3. In the txml has appeared a part of text which I cannot find in the correspondong source file. After converting, it did not appear in the target file either. Regarding the context, it would be important for me to see the original layout of this part of text which consists of disjointed keywords (I guess it is a table). I am sure it must be somewhere in the word file, because if not, it would not appear in the txml neither.
I have been working with Wordfast 3 since 2011 and never had this problem.

If somebody know how to make visible this hidden text in the source and target word file (docx), thank you in advance for letting me know!

Kind regards
Doris
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:18
Danish to English
+ ...
Two possibilities at least Apr 5, 2020

It could be hidden text. Try to select all (Ctrl+A) and untick the Hide box in the Font menu.

There may be another possibility, as some Word files in compatibility format contain two versions of the same text under the covers. Some software could have corrupted the file and changed one of the versions but not the other. One of my gripes with MemoQ is that it imports and displays both versions so it would be possible for the translator to store two different versions in the target Wo
... See more
It could be hidden text. Try to select all (Ctrl+A) and untick the Hide box in the Font menu.

There may be another possibility, as some Word files in compatibility format contain two versions of the same text under the covers. Some software could have corrupted the file and changed one of the versions but not the other. One of my gripes with MemoQ is that it imports and displays both versions so it would be possible for the translator to store two different versions in the target Word file.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Text box? Apr 5, 2020

Doris Wolf wrote:
In the TXML appeared text which I cannot find in the corresponding source file.

Do you have "drawings" enabled in the view options? This setting will allow you to see text boxes, and in some files, text boxes are hidden by default.

Or, could this text be comments (the "tracked changes" kind) that are simply hidden?

If you click anywhere in the Word file, then do Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and then Ctrl+V into Notepad, does the mystery text show up?

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks guys! Apr 7, 2020

Who knows if we'll ever have a feedback on this one... ?!

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:18
French to English
Also in Wordfast 5 Apr 7, 2020

I have also seen something similar in Wordfast 5, for the first time last Friday, having used WFP5 since it was invented. Also working from French, I have in the first few segments, "Masking Area, Do not move margin(s)" several times in that language. Not in comments or hidden text, not visible in Word output or in a text editor. Seems to be in every file, with both .doc and .docx files in the project. Looks a bit like CSS language for web. It precedes three tables on the first page. I suspect i... See more
I have also seen something similar in Wordfast 5, for the first time last Friday, having used WFP5 since it was invented. Also working from French, I have in the first few segments, "Masking Area, Do not move margin(s)" several times in that language. Not in comments or hidden text, not visible in Word output or in a text editor. Seems to be in every file, with both .doc and .docx files in the project. Looks a bit like CSS language for web. It precedes three tables on the first page. I suspect it is a Word oddity rather than a bug in Wordfast, and I intend to ignore it, not least because the margins will have to move, as the text extends out of the printable area.Collapse

Nina P. Muñoz
Nina P. Muñoz
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Same on Wordfast anywhere Apr 13, 2020

Doris Wolf wrote:

Hello,

I have translated a text from a word document (docx) in Wordfast 3. In the txml has appeared a part of text which I cannot find in the correspondong source file. After converting, it did not appear in the target file either. Regarding the context, it would be important for me to see the original layout of this part of text which consists of disjointed keywords (I guess it is a table). I am sure it must be somewhere in the word file, because if not, it would not appear in the txml neither.
I have been working with Wordfast 3 since 2011 and never had this problem.

If somebody know how to make visible this hidden text in the source and target word file (docx), thank you in advance for letting me know!

Kind regards
Doris

Hello,
I noticed similar problem using the WF Anywhere last week. I had a TM entry that was not in the original docx file, nor could I find it later in the translated file.
Never had this problem in last 6 years. Using Safari.
Greetings,
Nina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text appearing in Wordfast 3 but invisible in Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »