Paste from Wordfast Pro5 into browser without formatting (Windows)
Thread poster: Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:05
French to English
Feb 26, 2020

Hi everyone,
Is there a trick to copy and paste into and out of WFP without getting the formatting. Currently when I cut and paste this:
Programme de formation de l’école québécoise (no tag, the text only)
I get this
<i realtype="italic">Quebec school training program</i> (QEP)

I'm using Windows, and use Autohotkey if there might be a solution there. I tried a plain paste AHK script but that hasn't helped.

I don't get
... See more
Hi everyone,
Is there a trick to copy and paste into and out of WFP without getting the formatting. Currently when I cut and paste this:
Programme de formation de l’école québécoise (no tag, the text only)
I get this
<i realtype="italic">Quebec school training program</i> (QEP)

I'm using Windows, and use Autohotkey if there might be a solution there. I tried a plain paste AHK script but that hasn't helped.

I don't get this behaviour on other CAT tools (Studio, OmegaT).

Thanks for any advice
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Pablo Feb 26, 2020

Pablo Strauss wrote:
Is there a trick to copy and paste into and out of WFP without getting the formatting?

No, WFP5's WYSIWYG doesn't remove the tags -- it merely hides them.

So, if you use WFP5 with the setting Preferences > Tags > "Show supported text information" (instead of "Show formatting as tags"), the tags are still there, but they're just not visible. This means that if you select all text in a cell, and the cell starts and/or ends with an invisible tag, the tag will also be selected (and copied).

Techniques that force plain pasting won't solve your problem, since you're already copying plain text (the invisible tag itself is in plain text, not HTML).

I'm not sure how to do regex find/replace in AHK, but it should be possible to tell it to delete the stuff from &lt; to &gt;.

I don't get this behaviour on other CAT tools (Studio, OmegaT).

OmegaT doesn't have WYSIWIG view. But even in OmegaT, if a segment begins or ends with a tag, and you select all text in the segment, it'll copy the tags, too. It's just that in OmegaT the tags are always visible.

With Trados 2019, you can't copy the tags at all (I find this extremely annoying myself... if I copy text in Trados and the text has tags in it, no matter what tag viewing settings I use, the tags are never copied). Trados also does not copy rich text to the clipboard -- it's always plain text, even if you're trying to copy something that contains a formatted word (regardless of whether you use WYSIWIG view and regardless of what your tag settings are). This is a *deficiency* in Trados, not an advantage.

[Edited at 2020-02-26 14:05 GMT]

Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:05
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Feb 26, 2020

Thanks Samuel! Changing that setting pretty much solves my problem as I can avoid the tags when copying the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paste from Wordfast Pro5 into browser without formatting (Windows)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »