Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 14, 2019

I recently upgraded to WFPro 5 from WF 3 - I was forced to do so by one of my biggest clients who stopped supporting WF3.
The type of work I do for them requires me to use the "Add Note" tool.
Basically, I am checking translations, but I am not allowed to edit the text, I have to provide all my comments in Notes.
I am having some serious issues with the Note tool in WF5 Pro - if someone knows a setting or workaround to resolve these, please let me know.

Problem
... See more
I recently upgraded to WFPro 5 from WF 3 - I was forced to do so by one of my biggest clients who stopped supporting WF3.
The type of work I do for them requires me to use the "Add Note" tool.
Basically, I am checking translations, but I am not allowed to edit the text, I have to provide all my comments in Notes.
I am having some serious issues with the Note tool in WF5 Pro - if someone knows a setting or workaround to resolve these, please let me know.

Problem #1 - Note dialog blocks everything else (THIS MAY BE A BUG):
When the Note editing dialog box is open, everything else is blocked in WF. I cannot click on the Source or Target text, cannot scroll that window, can't do anything else, until I close the Note dialog. This was not like this in WF3. I could open the Note editor dialog box and while it was open, I could scroll the translation, and copy/paste from it into the Note dialog. I absolutely cannot do this in WF5. This is a major issue, because most often when I Add or Edit a Note, it is to show inconsistencies between translations in different segments, or suggest a different word order or punctuation - for all of this I need to copy some text out of the source or target text. To do this in WF5, I have to copy the text first, then open the Note dialog and paste. If I have to copy another piece of text from the translation, I have to close the Note dialog, copy the text, find the Note again in the list, open it and paste. It is a lot of wasted time and frustration.

Problem #2 - WF5 does not remember the Note Type setting:
Each Note has a Type that can be selected from a pull-down field. In WF3 these were: text, question, important. In WF5 the types are slightly different: Translation, Review, Question, Important. This is actually great, because we can differentiate between notes that are added during the Translation vs. the Review phase. The problem is that the Add Note dialog defaults to "Translation" - and I am doing review. This means that every single time I add a note, I have to remember to change the Type in the Pull-down field, before I close the Note. In my projects I have to add a lot of notes, it can easily be 10% of the number of segments, so doing this repeatedly for every single note it is a major waste of time.
The same problem was present in WF3 in 2015 when the type was defaulting to "question", but then it got changed in the next release. After that change, the type setting was "sticky", it stayed until the user changed it. In other words, WF3 remembered the user's setting and kept it. WF5 does not remember the Note Type setting, and it is a major productivity issue.
Here is the link to the discussion about this back in 2015:
https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/286160-add_note_type_the_default_is_"question"_and_not_"text".html
I am wondering if there is a setting somewhere to change the default, or if not, if this could be resolved within the software similarly as it was fixed in WF3?

P.S: I have WF Pro 5.10.0 64bit version running on Windows 10, Build: 20190816-1400

[Edited at 2019-09-14 02:16 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further problems - extremely small font in Note editor. Sep 15, 2019

So, I had to suffer through 6 hours of Note adding and editing in WF5 today, and I was almost literally pulling my hair out.
In addition to the two major problems I described in the previous post, there is a 3rd one.

Problem #3: The font size in the Add/Edit note dialog is extremely small, it is very hard to see.
I went to the Preferences, and I can set larger fonts for many panels and areas, including the Note Viewer, but NOT the Note editing dialog. I can only
... See more
So, I had to suffer through 6 hours of Note adding and editing in WF5 today, and I was almost literally pulling my hair out.
In addition to the two major problems I described in the previous post, there is a 3rd one.

Problem #3: The font size in the Add/Edit note dialog is extremely small, it is very hard to see.
I went to the Preferences, and I can set larger fonts for many panels and areas, including the Note Viewer, but NOT the Note editing dialog. I can only guess, but it looks like the font size is 6 or 7 points, while all other panels have 12 and 13. At that small size, differentiating between periods and commas, and various accent marks is nearly impossible. I have a good monitor and I wear appropriate glasses, but the strain this puts on my eyes is just simply horrible.
No other software I use have this issue.

Anybody have a temporary workaround until (hopefully) this gets fixed in the software?
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:48
French to English
+ ...
Non-response? Nov 22, 2019

I think that I'd have more confidence in Wordfast if there was some sign here of a response to the issues raised by Katalin.

Katalin Horváth McClure

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress report - some issues were fixed! Feb 4, 2020

Sooooo, I just updated to version 5.13.0 from Jan 29, 2020 , and 2 of the 3 issues I mentioned above were fixed in this release.
Specifically:
Problem #2 - WF5 does not remember the Note Type setting: --- Now it does!
Problem #3: The font size in the Add/Edit note dialog is extremely small, it is very hard to see. --- It is bigger now! Cannot be configured b the user, but at least it is bigger now (12 points, I think).

Yay!
See more
Sooooo, I just updated to version 5.13.0 from Jan 29, 2020 , and 2 of the 3 issues I mentioned above were fixed in this release.
Specifically:
Problem #2 - WF5 does not remember the Note Type setting: --- Now it does!
Problem #3: The font size in the Add/Edit note dialog is extremely small, it is very hard to see. --- It is bigger now! Cannot be configured b the user, but at least it is bigger now (12 points, I think).

Yay!

Problem #1 - Note dialog blocks everything else --- This still persist.

[Edited at 2020-02-04 04:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add/Edit Note problems in Worldfast Pro 5 - @John Di Rico

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »