Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 08:00
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jul 12, 2019

For some time now, I have wanted to save Wordfast files as TXML instead of TXLF as is the format in version 5. It seems this is impossible, at least I have not been able to find any information to the contrary. Many a project manager has requested TXML, and I have had to use the workaround of delivering a glp package.

Now I would really like to use Verifika, but it has Wordfast files down as TXML and will not accept TXLF. So, Is there a way I can make it work and use Verifika. This
... See more
For some time now, I have wanted to save Wordfast files as TXML instead of TXLF as is the format in version 5. It seems this is impossible, at least I have not been able to find any information to the contrary. Many a project manager has requested TXML, and I have had to use the workaround of delivering a glp package.

Now I would really like to use Verifika, but it has Wordfast files down as TXML and will not accept TXLF. So, Is there a way I can make it work and use Verifika. This would really be nice.For some time now, I have wanted to save Wordfast files as TXML instead of TXLF as is the format in version 5. It seems this is impossible, at least I have not been able to find any information to the contrary. Many a project manager has requested TXML, and I have had to use the workaround of delivering a glp package.

Now I would really like to use Verifika, but it has Wordfast files down as TXML and will not accept TXLF. So, Is there a way I can make it work and use Verifika. This would really be nice.
Collapse

Suparna Chatterjee

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:00
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
.txlf seems to be another flavor of the xliff format... Jul 13, 2019

...and if so, those files should be opened by other CAT tools. If fact, I know that MemoQ pertinent xml filter process them in a very straightforward manner.

Have you tried to open the .txlf files as xml in WF Pro 3 and then renaming their extension to .txml?

Saludos

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I don't own Wordfast 3… Jul 13, 2019

Changing the file extension in version 5 doesn't work. I don't own version 3, so that's not an option. I'm not really sure why they started the txlf extension when txml is still needed

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
AFAIK Jul 14, 2019

Reed James wrote:
Now I would really like to use Verifika, but it has Wordfast files down as TXML and will not accept TXLF.

Option 1: AFAIK, if you open TXLF files in WFP3, they get saved as TXML. Then you can process the TXML files. Then, after wards, "save as" back to TXLF again.

I'm not sure if WFP3 accepts TXLF out of the box, but you can add a filter for (use XLIFF as the base) via Edit > Preferences > Translations > Filters > Formats. I can't remember how exactly I did it, but my WFP3 currently handles TXLF perfectly.

Option 2: Try changing the file TXLF file extension to "XLF" or "XLIFF" -- does Verifika have a generic XLF filter?

I don't own version 3, so that's not an option.

If you have a valid license for WFP5, then you have one included for WFP3. Just download and install it (the licensing system is different but if you have a WFP license on your account, then you should be able to activate WFP3).

Jorge Payan wrote:
Have you tried to open the .txlf files as xml in WF Pro 3 and then renaming their extension to .txml?

I don't quite understand this suggestion. If you open any file in WFP3, the resulting bilingual file is already TXML, so there's no need to "rename" it to TXML.

[Edited at 2019-07-14 08:42 GMT]

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
XLF works Jul 14, 2019

Samuel,

I just changed the extension to xlf, and it works. thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forcing exported or saved files to be txml

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »