WFP 5.8 - can I configure the information displayed in the terminology panel?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2019

Hi all
I've checked the manual but can't find any details of how I can configure the columns displayed in the terminology pane of WFP 5.8...
The only option seems to be to have the source term above the target term and a little "i" in a circle, which I can click on to see which glossary it was found in and how reliable it is. However, this is tedious, especially if I am using multiple glossaries and want to prioritise one of them (usually my own).
Surely, there must be a way of
... See more
Hi all
I've checked the manual but can't find any details of how I can configure the columns displayed in the terminology pane of WFP 5.8...
The only option seems to be to have the source term above the target term and a little "i" in a circle, which I can click on to see which glossary it was found in and how reliable it is. However, this is tedious, especially if I am using multiple glossaries and want to prioritise one of them (usually my own).
Surely, there must be a way of having all this information displayed by default in columns: source term, target term, glossary name, reliability, notes...
Does anyone know please?
Thanks

[Edited at 2019-07-08 12:14 GMT]
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:19
French to English
+ ...
Me too! Jul 8, 2019

I hate that feature of WFP5. I find it better to use the mouse to hover the pointer over the source term, that way you can see the details of the various suggested glossary entries. I also get very fed up with not being able to arrange the order in which the glossaries and TMs display. It's not adequate to just be able to choose whether TMs are primary or secondary.

In fact, there's an increasing amount of stuff about WFP5 that annoys me and, if I wasn't approaching retirement, I'd
... See more
I hate that feature of WFP5. I find it better to use the mouse to hover the pointer over the source term, that way you can see the details of the various suggested glossary entries. I also get very fed up with not being able to arrange the order in which the glossaries and TMs display. It's not adequate to just be able to choose whether TMs are primary or secondary.

In fact, there's an increasing amount of stuff about WFP5 that annoys me and, if I wasn't approaching retirement, I'd be looking to switch to a different CAT tool.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's an interesting tool, but ... Jul 8, 2019

It's an interesting tool, but the crazy way it handles simple things like confirming segments (with all those colours and statuses being reset after a restart) made me switch back to memoQ/CafeTran.

Michael

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too many WF versions to maintain and develop? Jul 8, 2019

I think part of the problem with Wordfast in general is that they are spreading themselves too thinly by having a Word version, a browser version and the desktop version.
I suspect they have too much to maintain and develop and the problem is that none of the versions are especially good compared to the competition. I'm currently holding my breath (and getting pretty blue in the face by now!) for the upcoming new release of Wf Pro. Although there is much I like about Wf Pro (and use it fo
... See more
I think part of the problem with Wordfast in general is that they are spreading themselves too thinly by having a Word version, a browser version and the desktop version.
I suspect they have too much to maintain and develop and the problem is that none of the versions are especially good compared to the competition. I'm currently holding my breath (and getting pretty blue in the face by now!) for the upcoming new release of Wf Pro. Although there is much I like about Wf Pro (and use it for all my translation work - mainly because I like one single environment), it and the online and Word formats do have quite a few weaknesses (some of which I have fed back to them over the months), and which I feel sure could be fixed fairly easily.... I just hope they are working very hard right now to get it up to scratch and impress us....

[Edited at 2019-07-08 13:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-08 15:50 GMT]
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:19
English to French
+ ...
Different people are involved Jul 8, 2019

AFAIK, the non-Pro versions (Wf Classic, Wf Anywhere, as well as Wf Server and Wf Aligner) have been developed by Yves Champollion, who is not involved with the development of WfPro, making the latter akin to a separate entity.

As a matter of fact, the lack of similarities of the features, to say nothing of user-friendliness, between between Classic and Pro, which has been painfully obvious forever, should be enough to prove my educated assumption correct.

[quote]Comunican wrote:

Comunican

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP 5.8 - can I configure the information displayed in the terminology panel?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »