Is there a way to download the contents on a Web site?
Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2003

I need to quote a job based on wordcount and the client just pointed to his Web site for me to calculate the number of words. I understand there is a tool that will either count the number of words or allow me to download the site and then I can count the words.

Any info?

Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Download Glossy from www.foreignword.biz Mar 4, 2003

Hi Ricardo,

If you go to www.foreignword.biz you can download a trial version (free for 30 days)of Glossy.

This is a handy tool that helps you with the translation of websites by turning the translatable text into regular Word documents.

I have only tried to convert once but it worked fine.

I had some problems when I tried using their glossary function but that was my own mi
... See more
Hi Ricardo,

If you go to www.foreignword.biz you can download a trial version (free for 30 days)of Glossy.

This is a handy tool that helps you with the translation of websites by turning the translatable text into regular Word documents.

I have only tried to convert once but it worked fine.

I had some problems when I tried using their glossary function but that was my own mistake.

Go check it out and see if it is something for you.

--Ann

http://www.foreignword.biz/software/glossy/
Collapse

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:07
English to French
+ ...
several tools Mar 4, 2003

To download websites I use HTTrack Website Copier that you can find for free at download.com, I used to work with Webzip, but this new piece of sotware seems better.

To make a wordcount, I use several methods. Either a drag and drop of the files to translate in Workbench (Trados) or I use Webbudget, I was told Practicount does a good job too.

The key when you translate a website is to remember there are metetagas and alt tags, those have to be translate
... See more
To download websites I use HTTrack Website Copier that you can find for free at download.com, I used to work with Webzip, but this new piece of sotware seems better.

To make a wordcount, I use several methods. Either a drag and drop of the files to translate in Workbench (Trados) or I use Webbudget, I was told Practicount does a good job too.

The key when you translate a website is to remember there are metetagas and alt tags, those have to be translated but won\'t appear is you use a Wysiwyg editor. However, if you use Tageditor, they will be shown.

My 2 cents.
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Go to download.com... Mar 4, 2003

and search for \"offline browsing\" in the download section (I\'m assuming you\'re using some form of Windows, but there are programs for other OSes as well). You\'ll get a rather long list of software that does what you want, some shareware, some freeware.

HTH

Rick

====

Quote:

On 2003-03-04 21:29, chilean1 wrote:

I need to quote a job based on wordcount and ... See more
and search for \"offline browsing\" in the download section (I\'m assuming you\'re using some form of Windows, but there are programs for other OSes as well). You\'ll get a rather long list of software that does what you want, some shareware, some freeware.

HTH

Rick

====

Quote:

On 2003-03-04 21:29, chilean1 wrote:

I need to quote a job based on wordcount and the client just pointed to his Web site for me to calculate the number of words. I understand there is a tool that will either count the number of words or allow me to download the site and then I can count the words.

Any info?

Collapse

Philip Ronan
Philip Ronan
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
If you're using Internet Explorer... Mar 4, 2003

...just go to the site\'s home page and choose \"Save As...\" from the file menu. Choose \"Web Archive\" as the format, and click on the options buttin. Tell it to include the images and to follow all the links unless they point to other web sites.

This works on a Macintosh anyway. I\'m sure the Windows version will let you do the same thing.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ask for a zip file or expect trouble Mar 5, 2003

HTTrack Website Copier is a great free tool to spunge complete websites. But you can never be 100% sure you haven\'t copied old files too, etc. Recently, I\'ve had some problems because I had translated ASP generated text that I had copied as HTML.

I\'ve now decided to work with a client\'s copy of the site only to be 100% sure that all files (including links and line breaks) are identical.

Regards,

Gerard

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I use Acrobat Mar 5, 2003

With Acrobat 5.0 (not the Reader) you can use the \"Open Web Page\" command and chose how many levels to download, whether to download linked pages on the same server only (useful to filter out banner links and ad links) and plenty more.

It saves everything as a PDF with links and bookmarks, pls the option to add other linked pages to the same file (it retains the links to pages which may not have been saved in the PDF because of your download settings).

I then count words i
... See more
With Acrobat 5.0 (not the Reader) you can use the \"Open Web Page\" command and chose how many levels to download, whether to download linked pages on the same server only (useful to filter out banner links and ad links) and plenty more.

It saves everything as a PDF with links and bookmarks, pls the option to add other linked pages to the same file (it retains the links to pages which may not have been saved in the PDF because of your download settings).

I then count words in PDF with the \"PDFCount\" plug-in (http://www.4translation.com/)
Collapse

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:07
English to Romanian
+ ...
Save as mht Mar 5, 2003

...assuming you do not have hundreds of html pages in that website, you can save the files as mht and then use a common toll (like Word\'s counter).

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
French to English
Don't do it!! Mar 5, 2003

Ricardo,

I agree with Gerard. This is asking for trouble. How are you to know whether you\'ll get all the pages that need to be translated? And what if you translate ones that don\'t need to be?

The best thing to do, IMO, is to ask the client to send you the files. And if they\'re still to lazy to do that (because I\'m sure they just don\'t want to be bothered doing so), save the pages from their Web site and SEND them a list of all the files to confirm
... See more
Ricardo,

I agree with Gerard. This is asking for trouble. How are you to know whether you\'ll get all the pages that need to be translated? And what if you translate ones that don\'t need to be?

The best thing to do, IMO, is to ask the client to send you the files. And if they\'re still to lazy to do that (because I\'m sure they just don\'t want to be bothered doing so), save the pages from their Web site and SEND them a list of all the files to confirm before you start working on it.

Good luck!

Erika

Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I just found out about Omni-Crawler... Apr 25, 2018

See: https://www.omni-lookup.de/

Haven't tried it myself, but it's from the developer of Omni-Lookup (formerly known as Multifultor).

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to download the contents on a Web site?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »