How to translate slides in videos that already have a translation written on them?
Thread poster: marijaflora
marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 21:47
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2020

I am relatively new at translating. I am in the process of translating some videos into English for a client, and I have noticed that a great deal of the narrators words have actually already been translated onto slides that are presented in the video.
Iow, as the presenter is presenting in their own language, there are also slides showing the English translation of her words.

My dilemma is do I translate these sections into the exact words on the slides, even if they are not
... See more
I am relatively new at translating. I am in the process of translating some videos into English for a client, and I have noticed that a great deal of the narrators words have actually already been translated onto slides that are presented in the video.
Iow, as the presenter is presenting in their own language, there are also slides showing the English translation of her words.

My dilemma is do I translate these sections into the exact words on the slides, even if they are not 100 % the words that I would have chosen, or do I translate it in my own words?
On one hand I'm concerned it might look unprofessional if it is not consistent, but on the other hand I am concerned it might look lazy if I am just literally retyping those words.

These slides are on display for approximately 70 % of the video, so it's not just a minor segment.

I would appreciate any help!
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:47
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Consider asking your client. Oct 20, 2020

Dear Marijaflora,

Why don't you consider asking your client?

My kind regards ☺️

marijaflora
Joanna Posylek

marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 21:47
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2020

Thanks Morano. I wasn't sure whether I should or if it would look bad.

Morano El-Kholy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate slides in videos that already have a translation written on them?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »