Som Kethyasey  Identity Verified
Cambodia
Local time: 19:12
Member (2014)
English to Khmer (Central)
+ ...
Jan 17, 2019

Hi all,

One of my clients wanted me to translate a website and he gives me a web address to estimate word count. How can i estimate this and How can i work directly on the website? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Som

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Som Jan 17, 2019

Som Kethyasey wrote:
1. How can I estimate the word count, and
2. How can I work directly on the website?

1. Why do you want to estimate the word count? Are you just trying to figure out how much work it will be, or are you going to use the estimate to calculate a fee?

2. A web site consists of special types of files that are displayed in the web browser, so you don't be able to translate it directly in the browser -- you have to get the files from the client, and translate them as files.

In all instances, the client must provide you with the files. If you try to download/save them yourself, you may overlook some files. And, if the client's web site is database driven, then the client won't be able to do anything with the translations if you give him translations of files that you had downloaded yourself.

The alternative is to copy all the text from the web site into e.g. MS Word, and then provide the client with two versions of each file, namely the source version, and your translation, but I'm telling you: the client's web designer isn't going to be happy.

Vadim Kadyrov
Som Kethyasey
Thayenga

Jiantao Lu
Jiantao Lu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:12
English to Chinese
Hi Som Jan 17, 2019

You can't process it directly in the website. You still have to edit the web pages in .html (or other formats) and upload them to the host server.

I had similar experience years ago. I only asked the client to provide me the exact content that I was supposed to translate. And the client (an agency) was friendly enough to provide all the pages (.html) to me. So I could calculate the wordcount in Trados and provided the estimated cost and deadline.

A website address is ju
... See more
You can't process it directly in the website. You still have to edit the web pages in .html (or other formats) and upload them to the host server.

I had similar experience years ago. I only asked the client to provide me the exact content that I was supposed to translate. And the client (an agency) was friendly enough to provide all the pages (.html) to me. So I could calculate the wordcount in Trados and provided the estimated cost and deadline.

A website address is just not enough.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Collapse

Som Kethyasey
Som Kethyasey  Identity Verified
Cambodia
Local time: 19:12
Member (2014)
English to Khmer (Central)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Som Kethyasey wrote: 1. How can I estimate the word count, and 2. How can I work directly on the web Jan 18, 2019

Hi Lu and Samuel,

Thanks a lot for your comments. I understand it now.

Best,

Som

Vanessa Anderson
Vanessa Anderson
United States
Word Count Aug 22, 2019

There are many ways to count the words of website.you can use to online tools who can help your in word count. Personally, I use to SEOquake for the count of words.you can install to this extension on your browser.I hope it will be helpful for you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »