Against the “Good” Translation: The Power of Disobedience

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Against the “Good” Translation: The Power of Disobedience".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mark Robertson
Mark Robertson
Local time: 08:33
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not translation Oct 30, 2020

"Creative Translation" appears not to be translation at all. Usual post-modernist anything goes mumbo-jumbo.

Nils Andersson
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Daryo

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not translation Oct 31, 2020

MARK ROBERTSON wrote:

"Creative Translation" appears not to be translation at all. Usual post-modernist anything goes mumbo-jumbo.

TLDR, but you're probably right. I managed to skim the first few paragraphs before my eyes started to glaze over. It's like the old adage "those who can, do, and those who can't, pontificate about doing"...

Nils Andersson
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
philgoddard
Daryo

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
What is this I don't even Nov 1, 2020

Could someone restate their point in plain, simple English?

[Edited at 2020-11-01 15:48 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
German to English
+ ...
In the real world Nov 3, 2020

These people have no idea about the translation world. They're talking about some kind of creative artistic endeavour. In the real world, translations serve a purpose, and are commissioned by a client who has a purpose and a need. A "rebellious" translator could cost a client a potential job, or could risk someone's life. And so on.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure what to call this Nov 3, 2020

The introductory paragraph is: Gitanjali Patel and Jessie Spivey of Shadow Heroes, an organization that runs creative translation workshops for students, take on the myth of the "good" translation. Deconstructing the harmful and exclusionary assumptions behind the phrase, they propose an alternative approach to translation.

I was interested in the
... See more
The introductory paragraph is: Gitanjali Patel and Jessie Spivey of Shadow Heroes, an organization that runs creative translation workshops for students, take on the myth of the "good" translation. Deconstructing the harmful and exclusionary assumptions behind the phrase, they propose an alternative approach to translation.

I was interested in the workshops, so I started reading. I wish I hadn't. The workshops are dealt with only in the final 1/5th of the article. The first 4/5th of the article is about "deconstructing harmful and blah-blah-blah".
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
If anyone told me Nov 13, 2020

that one day I would be quoting Margaret Thacher's word, I would have dismissed it as preposterous. Still ...

I think that this mumbo-jumbo shouldn't be given the oxygen of publicity - should simply be ignored.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Against the “Good” Translation: The Power of Disobedience

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »