Article: Brazilian vs. European (aka Continental or Iberian) Portuguese explained for non-Portuguese speakers
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 3, 2008

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Brazilian vs. European (aka Continental or Iberian) Portuguese explained for non-Portuguese speakers".

airmailrpl
airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:48
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very good article Oct 29, 2008

Very Good article.

Should be obligatory reading for many European Translation Agencies who think that they can hire Brazilian Translators to translate from English (or other languages) to European Portuguese (I guess they think we have cheaper rates).

I have turned down several translation jobs from English to European Portuguese - and the agency asked me "But what is the difference?"

By the way what is the Brazilian Portuguese translation of
"put
... See more
Very Good article.

Should be obligatory reading for many European Translation Agencies who think that they can hire Brazilian Translators to translate from English (or other languages) to European Portuguese (I guess they think we have cheaper rates).

I have turned down several translation jobs from English to European Portuguese - and the agency asked me "But what is the difference?"

By the way what is the Brazilian Portuguese translation of
"put for granted"?
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks! Oct 29, 2008

I wrote it mostly for those agencies that either have no idea that such a difference exists, or that want some one-size-fits-all (or at least both) translation. I got tired of having to explain all that and ask about the variant on every bid. Now I just provide the link and ask.

I had an uphill fight at Proz for several years, trying to convince them to demand variant specification on jobs posted for PT. I lost. The reason is that they were somewhat afraid that the ES folks would de
... See more
I wrote it mostly for those agencies that either have no idea that such a difference exists, or that want some one-size-fits-all (or at least both) translation. I got tired of having to explain all that and ask about the variant on every bid. Now I just provide the link and ask.

I had an uphill fight at Proz for several years, trying to convince them to demand variant specification on jobs posted for PT. I lost. The reason is that they were somewhat afraid that the ES folks would demand the same privilege, which would cause unnecessary discussion, e.g. if ES from Colombia can be used for Venezuela, and so on. At least they have included it, but it's optional.

About "putting for granted", I'd equate it to "deixar como líquido e certo". The word play works better in English.

One interesting aspect is that some (EC) Portuguese colleagues acknowledged having got some enlightenment from that article as well, since it provided them with a reasonable explanation for why they often feel so clueless reading a Brazilian text.
Collapse

Ivan Costa Pinto
Ivan Costa Pinto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Excellent article by an excellent translator. Jun 4, 2009

Dear Lamensdorf, the days of the Yahoo list are already past, at least for me, but I continue to admire your logic and cold assertiveness. Congratulations for this article, that should be a must for foreign consumers of the Portuguese language. Best regards. Ivan Costa Pinto.

Flavio Steffen
Flavio Steffen  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Brazilian vs. European Portuguese Jul 13, 2009

For me, as an old "infossaurus ibemensis" (I work with IBM computers since 1969), who started to make translations because English was a pre-requisite, logic is the central point of the differences between both languages. As logic is the most important part in computer programming, the article highlihted this part.
When data entry to computers used punched cards, the data were written in forms and sent to Data Entry people to transfe it to cards; in all the world people use to put a ... See more
For me, as an old "infossaurus ibemensis" (I work with IBM computers since 1969), who started to make translations because English was a pre-requisite, logic is the central point of the differences between both languages. As logic is the most important part in computer programming, the article highlihted this part.
When data entry to computers used punched cards, the data were written in forms and sent to Data Entry people to transfe it to cards; in all the world people use to put a
diagonal slash crossing the zeros, except in Portugal were they use to put the
diagonal slash crossing the letter "O". In my opinion this was more logic, as there were much more zeros than Os.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Necro Jul 6, 2013

Good stuff, really. It was a true pleasure to read. Very interesting and entertaining.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Brazilian vs. European (aka Continental or Iberian) Portuguese explained for non-Portuguese speakers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »