Article: Ten typical mistakes start-up freelance translators should avoid
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 27, 2012

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article Ten typical mistakes start-up freelance translators should avoid.

Vilina Svetoslavova
Vilina Svetoslavova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:50
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Essential advice Mar 14, 2014

Great article summarizing what we need to a avoid as start-up freelance translators. As well with all the recommendations we normally read, it is good to know what not to do.

Shivam Seem
Shivam Seem  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:20
German to English
+ ...
Invaluable pieces of information... Feb 14, 2016

The information provided in this article is indeed quite helpful. I found point number 6 the most crucial of all. For any newbie it is fortunately/unfortunately quite difficult to understand industry's standards quickly. It becomes more difficult in case of Freelancing, which is as good as running your own business, and hence brings along fear and uncertainty with it during the initial stages, which can easily lead to desperation, if not checked.
Thanks Nicole for the article.

Margaret Stewart
Margaret Stewart
Local time: 18:50
French to English
Excellent advice Apr 28, 2016

This is a very sound article & I'd recommend it to all start-up translators.
The point about not working all hours is especially valid for newcomers: if you don't value your own leisure time, then neither will your clients.
The phrase to remember is A LACK OF FORESIGHT ON YOUR PART DOES NOT IMPLY AN EMERGENCY ON MINE.

Susan Copeland
Susan Copeland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
Member (2016)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Excellent advice Apr 30, 2016

Thank you very much, Nicole. I've only been in business a month and have already made pretty much all these mistakes! I'm learning fast but it is so valuable to get some guidance from someone who's been doing it a while.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Ten typical mistakes start-up freelance translators should avoid

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »