Article: Interpreting in the Magistrates' Courts: introduction to the Criminal Justice System
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 3, 2011

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Interpreting in the Magistrates' Courts: introduction to the Criminal Justice System".

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:22
Member (2005)
French to English
The interpreter's oath - times have changed Apr 28, 2017

I acted as a court interpreter a couple of times in South-East England, in the 1970s. At the time, the oath, as I remember it, was extended from the text cited here with the words, "as certain I shall answer for my rendering of the same on the great day of judgement." I imagine the oath must have been shortened since, but it appears to have lost some solemnity.

That reminiscence apart, I'm glad our colleague, Marta Stelmaszak, has written such a knowledgeable and helpfully practical
... See more
I acted as a court interpreter a couple of times in South-East England, in the 1970s. At the time, the oath, as I remember it, was extended from the text cited here with the words, "as certain I shall answer for my rendering of the same on the great day of judgement." I imagine the oath must have been shortened since, but it appears to have lost some solemnity.

That reminiscence apart, I'm glad our colleague, Marta Stelmaszak, has written such a knowledgeable and helpfully practical article on how to help the English justice system in providing a fair trial.

With thanks to Marta, and kind regards,
Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Interpreting in the Magistrates' Courts: introduction to the Criminal Justice System

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »