Article: Passing the Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) examinations from the UK Institute of Linguists - part 2
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 22, 2011

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Passing the Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) examinations from the UK Institute of Linguists - part 2".

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:53
Portuguese to English
Good article Jul 20, 2011

I came to learn Brazilian Portuguese in much the same way as Mike. After developing proficiency in Spanish on a 12-month backpacking trip around South America, I spent the last 6 weeks of that trip in Brazil and had to "convert" - when I later moved to Brazil, I did exactly as Mike did - exposed myself to as much spoken and written Portuguese as possible.

My first translation was a windsurfing coursebook, shortly after I had done my own course on the local beach. Then came menus, th
... See more
I came to learn Brazilian Portuguese in much the same way as Mike. After developing proficiency in Spanish on a 12-month backpacking trip around South America, I spent the last 6 weeks of that trip in Brazil and had to "convert" - when I later moved to Brazil, I did exactly as Mike did - exposed myself to as much spoken and written Portuguese as possible.

My first translation was a windsurfing coursebook, shortly after I had done my own course on the local beach. Then came menus, the odd advertising leaflet, and it snowballed from there.

I took DipTrans in 2010, without having completed any preparation course. Despite gaining a Distinction in the General and Pass in the Business, I failed my chosen option of Social Sciences in Paper 3. This was down to a bad choice on my part, I "panic-chose" because it was about Brazilian history, while the other two papers were Portugal-sourced. On reflection I would have been much better off in Part 3 doing the Science paper (about study of a plant), or even the Law paper.

Anyway, I went back in January 2011 (British Coucil in São Paulo) and re-sat Part 3, again choosing to hand-write. Happily I obtained a Merit, and am now awaiting arrival of the Diptrans Certificate at my home address.

There is no substitute for talent and experience, but I agree with Mike that a well-respected credential such as DipTrans will (should) enable a translator to be taken seriously, and paid a just price for his/her work.

Cheers!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great article Sep 11, 2012

The best part for me is how out of touch this (rather costly IMO) Diploma is shown to be in the 21st century, insisting that candidates sit the exam "with a pen and paper".

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:53
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Very accurate Mar 19, 2013

I did the DipTrans three years ago, after doing City University's preparation course. My experiences are very similar to yours and I think your article is a good reflection of the whole process. I would recommend it to anyone thinking about taking the exam.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that it is not an easy (or cheap!) exam and many people do not pass all three papers first time (myself included - I passed one paper first time round and re-sat the other two the following year). H
... See more
I did the DipTrans three years ago, after doing City University's preparation course. My experiences are very similar to yours and I think your article is a good reflection of the whole process. I would recommend it to anyone thinking about taking the exam.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that it is not an easy (or cheap!) exam and many people do not pass all three papers first time (myself included - I passed one paper first time round and re-sat the other two the following year). However, because of the high standard it does serve as evidence of the translator's high level of competence.

[Edited at 2013-03-19 11:09 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Passing the Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) examinations from the UK Institute of Linguists - part 2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »