Article: Read or weep
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 30, 2011

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Read or weep".

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:16
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
AMEN May 7, 2011

to this. To all of it.

Yes, every little detail matters, and translators who only read what "suits" them and overlook the little details, e. g. UK based in your article, shouldn't expect a reply from the PM.
Read AND think, are the Words of the Day.

Natalia Pedrosa (X)
Natalia Pedrosa (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very well expressed! Jul 28, 2011

I've really enjoyed this article.

In my early days as an amateur translator aiming at becoming a professional one, I used to fall head over heels with this "Reading it all" matter, mainly as I was so anxious to reply I skipped the very juicy bits (UK-based).

Now, even if I deem some requirements are quite pointless, I refrain from replying.

Thanks for making us have a good time reading all your article.

Best,

Natalia

Michael Bernhardt
Michael Bernhardt
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Important subject Feb 11, 2012

I like your article and I certainly agree that it can be annoying from the PMs point of view to receive such applications. I also agree that some people might draw the same conclusion as Gladys did in respect to the translator's ability.
BUT: If Gladys were really such an experienced professional, she would know how difficult the situation for translators is and she would not assume that John applied because he couldn't read or understand the instructions.
That's why I also don't t
... See more
I like your article and I certainly agree that it can be annoying from the PMs point of view to receive such applications. I also agree that some people might draw the same conclusion as Gladys did in respect to the translator's ability.
BUT: If Gladys were really such an experienced professional, she would know how difficult the situation for translators is and she would not assume that John applied because he couldn't read or understand the instructions.
That's why I also don't think that John made a mistake in applying for the job: If you sit there and wait for the job that's 100% right for you, you can maybe send out 2 or 3 quotes per week. With an average 20 or so people applying per job, you can do the maths and see when you will get work next time.
What If Gladys doesn't find a UK-based translator who is qualified, able to meet the deadline etc.? Perhaps she would talk to the customer again, who would maybe agree to have it done by a non-UK-based translator, because in this case, it's more important for him to meet a critical deadline. In such a case, Gladys' second best choice might be to hire John...
I'm very interested in your thoughts about this.

Michael.
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:16
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
It's an amusing article. Apr 29, 2012

Really it 's an amusing article. I enjoyed reading it. Frankly your point of view is very interesting. I also read the other comments of my colleagues here. I liked the opinion of Aviation Expert as well.
Thanks to you for this valuable article & hope you all the best.

An Ismanto
An Ismanto  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:16
English to Indonesian
Er, that's my case Apr 14, 2013

Definitely that was my case. I do not have any certificate in translation yet but I pushed myself to submit quotes - or bids. And never did I get reply. But, if I never done that (blindly submitting quotes), I would have never get a job (in online environment, I mean, as my offline clients are very understanding). Did I read the requirements? Of course I read those. But, for a couple of factors, I kept on sending the quotes regardless of my lacking and may be that was why most of the PMs I sent ... See more
Definitely that was my case. I do not have any certificate in translation yet but I pushed myself to submit quotes - or bids. And never did I get reply. But, if I never done that (blindly submitting quotes), I would have never get a job (in online environment, I mean, as my offline clients are very understanding). Did I read the requirements? Of course I read those. But, for a couple of factors, I kept on sending the quotes regardless of my lacking and may be that was why most of the PMs I sent my quotes to never replied. The lesson I got from your article is that to be a real professional, we need to pour out our resources but before that: complete our arsenals. And I am doing it, little by little, brick by brick, for this past six months. A degree in translation -- this is the most common requirement of so many jobs advertised in ProZ.com. I'll get that one soon.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Read or weep

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »