Article: How Valuable Time Can Be To A Freelance Translator And How To Organise Your Workday And Life
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 25, 2009

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "How Valuable Time Can Be To A Freelance Translator And How To Organise Your Workday And Life".

Rafael Rocha

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:29
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Seems good general advice for those starting out Sep 25, 2009

This article is likely to be helpful to those starting out as freelancers, to help them in establishing the need for organisation and scheduling the working day.

From experience, I can concur with the advice given here. It does not seem obvious on Day 1 of becoming a freelancer that careful records need to be kept of all aspects of the business, and it is quite difficult to catch up on a backlog of records a year or two later. If this article helps to point that out to new freelance
... See more
This article is likely to be helpful to those starting out as freelancers, to help them in establishing the need for organisation and scheduling the working day.

From experience, I can concur with the advice given here. It does not seem obvious on Day 1 of becoming a freelancer that careful records need to be kept of all aspects of the business, and it is quite difficult to catch up on a backlog of records a year or two later. If this article helps to point that out to new freelancers, it will be valuable reading.
Collapse

Jorge Ruiz de Mena

Nicola Gardner
Nicola Gardner  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
Too much work makes Jack a dull boy and employ an accountant Jan 6, 2011

Really enjoyed this article!! I particularly identified with the point about not just working like a zombie when you first start out as a freelancer (my mistake) but try to spend time on making contacts and research. Working fewer hours (which I've learned to do) means you enjoy your work more and the quality improves.
Another piece of advice I would give, tying in with the careful keeping of records, is: employ an accountant. Mine charges me around £200 per year but probably saves me a g
... See more
Really enjoyed this article!! I particularly identified with the point about not just working like a zombie when you first start out as a freelancer (my mistake) but try to spend time on making contacts and research. Working fewer hours (which I've learned to do) means you enjoy your work more and the quality improves.
Another piece of advice I would give, tying in with the careful keeping of records, is: employ an accountant. Mine charges me around £200 per year but probably saves me a good £800, and gives lots of peripheral advice and guidance, so well worth the investment.
Looking forward to reading more articles from this author.
Collapse

Jorge Ruiz de Mena

Jorge Ruiz de Mena
Jorge Ruiz de Mena
Spain
English to Spanish
I find this kind of information very useful Dec 10, 2020

Thanks for this article! Since I am starting as a translator I find this kind of information very useful. I haven´t thought very much about the organization but what the author says makes a lot of sense. Personally, being organized gives me a lot of peace of mind.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
German to English
+ ...
Can't see it Dec 13, 2020

I assumed that it had expired, but if the person preceding me read it a couple of days ago, its "non-existence" is a mystery.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How to get up in the morning. Dec 13, 2020

1. Wake up
2. Get out of bed.

Done.

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
IrinaN
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
But... Dec 13, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

1. Wake up
2. Get out of bed.

But maybe the article will tell us which side to get out of?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
On form Dec 13, 2020

On form today, Chris! You obviously got out of the right side this morning.

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:29
Danish to English
+ ...
Side Dec 13, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

1. Wake up
2. Get out of bed.

But maybe the article will tell us which side to get out of?

If it did, Tom would never get out of that side again.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Missing steps 1.1, 2.1 and 3 Dec 13, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

1. Wake up
2. Get out of bed.

Done.

1.1 Apologize to your cat for disturbing him
2. Get out of bed
2.1 Feed your cat
3. Finish waking up

Done

Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
message I get Dec 14, 2020

when I click the link:

"This www.proz.com page can’t be foundNo webpage was found for the web address: https://www.proz.com/ar?url_id=article&source=forum_topic&url=http://www.proz.com/doc/2663
HTTP ERROR 404"

Are others able to see th
... See more
when I click the link:

"This www.proz.com page can’t be foundNo webpage was found for the web address: https://www.proz.com/ar?url_id=article&source=forum_topic&url=http://www.proz.com/doc/2663
HTTP ERROR 404"

Are others able to see the article?
Collapse

expressisverbis

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:29
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same issue Dec 14, 2020

I had the same issue. I found that if you delete everything before the second 'http' (i.e. http://www.proz.com/doc/2663), it takes you to the article.

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bed side story Dec 14, 2020

Just a quick word of thanks to Tom here. I test-drove your steps 1 and 2, and I was amazed to find how simple it all was. Worked like a charm.

Have you ever considered giving up translation and becoming one of those mystical self-help gurus? There's any amount of scope for elaborating on all this. For instance, there I was standing triumphantly beside the bed, but I found myself with no guidance on what to do next. So you could bring out a series for dolts like that.

... See more
Just a quick word of thanks to Tom here. I test-drove your steps 1 and 2, and I was amazed to find how simple it all was. Worked like a charm.

Have you ever considered giving up translation and becoming one of those mystical self-help gurus? There's any amount of scope for elaborating on all this. For instance, there I was standing triumphantly beside the bed, but I found myself with no guidance on what to do next. So you could bring out a series for dolts like that.

How about the "TiL Criterion" Series? - the Get-Up Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Go Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Flow Criterion, the Get-Go Criterion, the Go-From-The-Get-Go Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Get-Down Criterion, the Go-Getter Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Get-Around Criterion, the Get-Around-Get-Around-I-Get-Around Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Get-Even Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Get-Ahead Criterion, the Get-Up-And-Get-Head Criterion, and moving forward to the All-Dressed-Up-And-Everywhere-To-Go Criterion. And all with initial caps so People Take You Seriously.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Adam Dec 17, 2020

Adam Dickinson wrote:

I had the same issue. I found that if you delete everything before the second 'http' (i.e. http://www.proz.com/doc/2663), it takes you to the article.

I've now read it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: How Valuable Time Can Be To A Freelance Translator And How To Organise Your Workday And Life

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »