Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2008

Transit will release a new version, Transit NXT, but I don't know anything about its price, release date, and most important, its new features.

http://www.star-deutschland.net/download/Transit-NXT_11-2007_DEU.pdf
This document is only in German, so German speaking colleagues may give us detailed information.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translation Jun 5, 2008

Are you asking for a translation? Will you accept my rates?

Seriously, I took a quick look at the document and found no info on price or release date.
The new functions seem to be aimed mostly at a better interaction with Windows and various file formats. Interesting, but I don't have time to take a good look at them right now.
I'll track this forum thread though, see what the colleagues have to say.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Margreet Jun 5, 2008

The integrated pdf viewer seems interesting but may require a 19 or 21" screen. And the new interface resembles MS Office 2007; I didn't like it.

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Are you asking for a translation? Will you accept my rates?

Sure, but next time. This was only a test translation

[Edited at 2008-06-05 11:14]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recent news Sep 24, 2008

http://www.star-portals.net/Transit/default.aspx

Unfortunately no public information on its release date, versions and price.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
just posted more info on the portal Oct 11, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

http://www.star-portals.net/Transit/default.aspx

Unfortunately no public information on its release date, versions and price.

Hi Selcuk,
Sorry I didn't see your posting of the portal site, I've just started a new topic. Did you see the videos? There are well worth looking at.

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
New Transit NXT Feb 4, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering if anybody purchased the new version of Transit NXT - its interface seems to have significantly improved. I have worked in the free Satellite PE version for years, but it is not very functional. There are obviously ways to get around its format, but this takes a lot of time and some problems might appear.

I will request an evaluation version and will decide if I am going to purchase it or not.

Any opinion and experien
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I was wondering if anybody purchased the new version of Transit NXT - its interface seems to have significantly improved. I have worked in the free Satellite PE version for years, but it is not very functional. There are obviously ways to get around its format, but this takes a lot of time and some problems might appear.

I will request an evaluation version and will decide if I am going to purchase it or not.

Any opinion and experience would be welcome! Thanks a lot!

P.S. Did you see the price list? The prices are pretty high, but they offer a discount until the end of February.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Transit NXT: first hands-on experience Feb 9, 2009

Hi all,
I'm currently participating in a Transit NXT training course organized by the Czech division of Star.
Transit NXT seems to be very good. The GUI is much more intuitive now and quite some new features have been added (such as target fuzzy matching).

But there is a number of points to consider:
- If you want to use all the new features, you'd better got yourselves two monitors; one will definitely not be enough;
- Transit NXT will be pretty expensive: t
... See more
Hi all,
I'm currently participating in a Transit NXT training course organized by the Czech division of Star.
Transit NXT seems to be very good. The GUI is much more intuitive now and quite some new features have been added (such as target fuzzy matching).

But there is a number of points to consider:
- If you want to use all the new features, you'd better got yourselves two monitors; one will definitely not be enough;
- Transit NXT will be pretty expensive: the lowest version you can really use (Transit NXT Freelance Pro) costs 1,195 Euros (excl. VAT).
- The old problem of purchasing additional filters and spelling checker languages will not disappear.

So, if I want to use Transit NXT and work on InDesign and Framemaker files, I will have to pay:
€ 1,195 for Transit
€ 1,050 (!) for InDesign filter
€ 740 (!) for Framemaker filter
€ 160 for spelling checkers for two additional languages
Total: € 3,145 (VAT excluded)

Obviously, if you purchase the Professional version, the price DOUBLES! And not even the Professional version includes all the filters, which you will have to buy separately. The strategy is obvious: squeeze as much money as we can from our dear translators. Hardly anybody could expect me to spend more than three thousand Euros on that.
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
You are right... Feb 9, 2009

Thanks for the info, Stanislav.

I agree that the prices are very high. I do not know how they justify them...e.g. they do not have a spellcheck for my language at all.

So far I worked in the free Satellite version, but NXT version does not support that version anymore so most translators in the future will have to purchase this expensive software if they intend to keep their clients. I am curious to see what is going to happen and how the agencies and clients will han
... See more
Thanks for the info, Stanislav.

I agree that the prices are very high. I do not know how they justify them...e.g. they do not have a spellcheck for my language at all.

So far I worked in the free Satellite version, but NXT version does not support that version anymore so most translators in the future will have to purchase this expensive software if they intend to keep their clients. I am curious to see what is going to happen and how the agencies and clients will handle the situation. I personally know only a few persons who have a paid version of Transit.

Anyhow, so far I lost a lot of time working in the free version, so I intend to buy Freelance Pro version now (without additional filters!) to minimize the time spent - I mostly process the files sent to me by the agencies. It seems to be a significant improvement when compared to the latest version and it will certainly serve me for years as they do not release a new, upgraded version so often, but rather spend more time testing and developing new features. I like that logic.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Little or no success Feb 10, 2009

Hi Ana,
I absolutely agree to your points. There is one version of TNXT which is similar to the older Satellite 3.0 PE and costs around 300 Euros (VAT excluded).
In my very humble opinion, agencies will keep their XV version, or switch over to a different software. The reason is simple: hardly any one of them will be able to force translators to buy the expensive TNXT and a translation agency without translators is like a car without an engine.

BTW, the paid versions of
... See more
Hi Ana,
I absolutely agree to your points. There is one version of TNXT which is similar to the older Satellite 3.0 PE and costs around 300 Euros (VAT excluded).
In my very humble opinion, agencies will keep their XV version, or switch over to a different software. The reason is simple: hardly any one of them will be able to force translators to buy the expensive TNXT and a translation agency without translators is like a car without an engine.

BTW, the paid versions of Transit support spelling checker dictionaries for OpenOffice. Unfortunately enough, the Satellite version does not.
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks for info! Feb 10, 2009

Hello Stanislav,

I am curious to know: Which version of NXT costs 300 Euros? I see that they offer only Freelance Pro, Professional and Workstation (slightly cheaper, but you cannot create projects).

I asked a few agencies to try to negotiate better prices for us (e.g. like group buy), but so far I did not get any such offer (!). Therefore, if the agencies themselves do not do something, I do not think that the translators will be so enthusiastic to purchase Transit. I
... See more
Hello Stanislav,

I am curious to know: Which version of NXT costs 300 Euros? I see that they offer only Freelance Pro, Professional and Workstation (slightly cheaper, but you cannot create projects).

I asked a few agencies to try to negotiate better prices for us (e.g. like group buy), but so far I did not get any such offer (!). Therefore, if the agencies themselves do not do something, I do not think that the translators will be so enthusiastic to purchase Transit. It is simply too expensive if you do not work in it so often.

Yes, I know that I can import an OpenOffice spellcheck, but honestly, for that price they should include it for free.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NXT to XV conversion plug-in Feb 10, 2009

Any detailed information on this plug-in, is it free or costs an arm and a leg?

Selcuk

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Transit NXT <->XV conversion tools Feb 10, 2009

Both NXT and the latest XV SP include tools for NXT XV conversions for no extra pay.

I did buy an upgrade from XV Pro to NXT Pro, by the way. Regarding InDesign projects, as an owner of Trados I prefer importing those into ttx and process ttx by Transit.

After having used NXT for two months, I have mixed feeling about it - there are many nice points and a few bugs and drawbacks.

As for Satellite, I was explained by Star Czech people that it was free but di
... See more
Both NXT and the latest XV SP include tools for NXT XV conversions for no extra pay.

I did buy an upgrade from XV Pro to NXT Pro, by the way. Regarding InDesign projects, as an owner of Trados I prefer importing those into ttx and process ttx by Transit.

After having used NXT for two months, I have mixed feeling about it - there are many nice points and a few bugs and drawbacks.

As for Satellite, I was explained by Star Czech people that it was free but difficult to use so Star wanted to come with something paid-for and more suitable for work. It makes some sense from my point of view.

Antonin
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Transit NXT Freelance Feb 11, 2009

Hi Ana,
it's Transit NXT Freelance that costs 300 Euros. This is a license for one year. Once this license has expired, you will be offered to purchase the Freelance Pro version and the 300 Euros you have already paid will be deducted from the Freelance Pro purchase price. Anyway, the "group buy" idea is a nice one and I will try to negotiate with some agencies too.

I absolutely agree to Antonin, except for his point on InDesign. Yes, Trados offers native support both for Fram
... See more
Hi Ana,
it's Transit NXT Freelance that costs 300 Euros. This is a license for one year. Once this license has expired, you will be offered to purchase the Freelance Pro version and the 300 Euros you have already paid will be deducted from the Freelance Pro purchase price. Anyway, the "group buy" idea is a nice one and I will try to negotiate with some agencies too.

I absolutely agree to Antonin, except for his point on InDesign. Yes, Trados offers native support both for Framemaker and InDesign (INX) files but we all know how unreliable its filters are, which is especially the case with INX files.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
InDesign + Transit Feb 11, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

I absolutely agree to Antonin, except for his point on InDesign. Yes, Trados offers native support both for Framemaker and InDesign (INX) files but we all know how unreliable its filters are, which is especially the case with INX files.

I am not saying it is the best solution, but from my point of view it is the least expensive one. If I had many InDesign files coming my way, the 1k EUR investment into a Transit filter might pay, but it is not my case. I have used this inx-ttx-Transit-ttx-inx workflow in Transit XV twice without any problems, as a a matter of fact (but the files were not too complicated).

Antonin

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
MemoQ or Across Feb 11, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:
I am not saying it is the best solution, but from my point of view it is the least expensive one.
Antonin

If I may suggest, MemoQ seems to handle INX files pretty well and so does Across. I'm still testing MemoQ in the trial period, so I don't know much about its limitations once my trial period has expired. Anyway, Across is free for freelancers and can handle even poorly prepared (embedded graphics, direct formatting etc.) INX files with ease.

Just an opinion...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »