Is there any function in Studio 2021 to export only the segments currently filtered in Editor view?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:39
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2021

Is there any function in Studio 2021 to export only the segments currently filtered in Editor view?

There are around 10 percent of the segments left of a big MTPE project that needs detailed explanations by the end customer to be able to translate them. No context or anything, and quite a few of them misspelled and wrong translation (translated to English by a non-native English). So the only way to handle these segments is to export them (best would be to Excel) and get the custome
... See more

There are around 10 percent of the segments left of a big MTPE project that needs detailed explanations by the end customer to be able to translate them. No context or anything, and quite a few of them misspelled and wrong translation (translated to English by a non-native English). So the only way to handle these segments is to export them (best would be to Excel) and get the customer to explain them.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Apr 2, 2021

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I believe the studioViews add-in can do that.

Elena Feriani
bris97

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful, thanks Apr 2, 2021

Thanks Samuel, this will be very useful for coming projects in Studio also.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Copy and paste into Excel Apr 3, 2021

Fredrik, since you mention Excel, the easiest solution is to use copy and paste.
Filter the segments you want to export, put your cursor at the start of the first segment on the source side and click Ctrl+shift+end. Then copy the selection and paste into an Excel file. Do the same for the target segments, and paste them into the next column in Excel. Done!

If you want to export to an sdlxliff file instead, simply filter the segments you want to export, go to the Advanced Displ
... See more
Fredrik, since you mention Excel, the easiest solution is to use copy and paste.
Filter the segments you want to export, put your cursor at the start of the first segment on the source side and click Ctrl+shift+end. Then copy the selection and paste into an Excel file. Do the same for the target segments, and paste them into the next column in Excel. Done!

If you want to export to an sdlxliff file instead, simply filter the segments you want to export, go to the Advanced Display Filter and at the top, click "Generate". Done!
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, quick and easy to Excel is just what I need Apr 3, 2021

Thanks Emma, that is the quickest way to get these filtered segments to Excel columns, which is the best format for this purpose. Sdlxliff works well also, I think I have an add-in as well so that I can create a termbase with a few mouse clicks form sdlxliff.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use both methods to quickly transfer both segments and file names to Excel? Apr 3, 2021

It's a big project that started last month on almost 150,000 words and the end-client wants me to state the file name for each term that I need clarified. As there are a lot of SDLXLIFF files that I have merged while doing the post-editing, wouldn't the easiest be to export both the segments (by either Samuel's or Emma's suggested method) and the SDLXLIFF files with segments also but with the purpose of getting the file name for each batch of segments easily transferred to Excel?

Or
... See more
It's a big project that started last month on almost 150,000 words and the end-client wants me to state the file name for each term that I need clarified. As there are a lot of SDLXLIFF files that I have merged while doing the post-editing, wouldn't the easiest be to export both the segments (by either Samuel's or Emma's suggested method) and the SDLXLIFF files with segments also but with the purpose of getting the file name for each batch of segments easily transferred to Excel?

Or maybe I complicate things, it's perhaps just to export the SDLXLIFF files and then from there to Excel and I would easily get the file names transferred to Excel also together with the exported segments.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:39
English to Russian
Xbench plugin Apr 4, 2021

You can use this Xbench plugin.
1. Add any set of symbols to mark your segments in question. For example, add ??? at the end of each segment in question.
2. Filter them by ??? and change their status to 'Translation Rejected'.
3. Run the plugin and create a personal checklist with ??? in target: View—Checklist Manager—Personal checklist—New f
... See more
You can use this Xbench plugin.
1. Add any set of symbols to mark your segments in question. For example, add ??? at the end of each segment in question.
2. Filter them by ??? and change their status to 'Translation Rejected'.
3. Run the plugin and create a personal checklist with ??? in target: View—Checklist Manager—Personal checklist—New for checklist—New for checklist rule (click right mouse button on any header and select New/Ins)—Put ??? in the Target field.
4. Make sure that your Xbench project only covers sdlxliff files. For this purpose, go to Properties in Xbench and remove Glossary (sdltb) and TM (sdltm) if any.
5. Go to the QA tab and click 'Run Personal Checklists'.
6. Anywhere within the QA results, click the right mouse button and select Export QA results (Ctrl+Q).
*If you don't have ApSIC Xbench 3.0, you can either use a free version (2.9) separately by adding your sdlxliff files to Xbench 2.9 or use free plugin 2.9.

[Edited at 2021-04-05 07:39 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So running a QA in Xbench to get everything exported together to Excel, including filenames Apr 5, 2021

This seems like a clever solution Stephan, thanks! I had a break today, will try this out tomorrow. I have ApSIC Xbench 3.0 installed since before on my old computer, have used it only on a few occasions though. Will see tomorrow if I can get it to work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »