Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:51
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2011

My copy of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance (on Windows 7 with Office 2010, and previously Office 2003) creates return packages that only include:

- a folder with source sdlxliff files
- a folder with target clean files
- a File Types folder
- an sdlproj file.

Now, it seems to me that such a package is completely useless, because it doesn't contain the translated bilingual files or the TM. I create my packages after the files are translated, and the pr
... See more
My copy of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance (on Windows 7 with Office 2010, and previously Office 2003) creates return packages that only include:

- a folder with source sdlxliff files
- a folder with target clean files
- a File Types folder
- an sdlproj file.

Now, it seems to me that such a package is completely useless, because it doesn't contain the translated bilingual files or the TM. I create my packages after the files are translated, and the project is finalized. What am I doing wrong?
Collapse

Thomas Rühl
Thomas Rühl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
I have had quite the same problem Aug 12, 2011

or sometimes still have it, to be precise. But rather than the source sdlxliff, some of my packages only include the target file. A Trados support guy had a look at this, however, he couldn't reproduce the bug.

The workaround I have so far is to export the missing file from Trados and then include it manually in the return package. To do that, you'll just have to open the sdlrpx file with a zip tool and drag the missing files to their respective folders. This might produce some issu
... See more
or sometimes still have it, to be precise. But rather than the source sdlxliff, some of my packages only include the target file. A Trados support guy had a look at this, however, he couldn't reproduce the bug.

The workaround I have so far is to export the missing file from Trados and then include it manually in the return package. To do that, you'll just have to open the sdlrpx file with a zip tool and drag the missing files to their respective folders. This might produce some issues within the xml code but generally, it should work for your customer.

[Edited at 2011-08-12 19:00 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Thomas! Aug 12, 2011

Thomas Rühl wrote:

The workaround I have so far is to export the missing file from Trados and then include it manually in the return package. To do that, you'll just have to open the sdlrpx file with a zip tool and drag the missing files to their respective folders. This might produce some issues within the xml code but generally, it should work for your customer.

[Edited at 2011-08-12 19:00 GMT]

What I have been doing is just send the target files and the TM separately with the package file (plus my apologies). I'm not even sure what the return package is supposed to contain. As a PM I would expect the target clean and bilingual files and possibly the TM. I can't see why the source files and format definition files are included as well. I do hope the new Studio version sorts this out.

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem (partly) solved Aug 12, 2011

http://studiotroubleshooting.blogspot.com/2011/05/studio-where-is-xliff-file-in-this.html

But, what is supposed to be in the return package after all? When I reverted the files to sdlxliff, the package included the source folder with source language sdlxfiles (what for?) and the target folder with bilingual sdlxliff files, but no targe
... See more
http://studiotroubleshooting.blogspot.com/2011/05/studio-where-is-xliff-file-in-this.html

But, what is supposed to be in the return package after all? When I reverted the files to sdlxliff, the package included the source folder with source language sdlxfiles (what for?) and the target folder with bilingual sdlxliff files, but no target language files. Are they not included on purpose? What if I work on a PowerPoint file that needs manual adjustments?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What's in a return package? Aug 12, 2011

Hi,

Interesting thread and I hope I can shed some light on this. First of all, if you Finalise the Project you are in effect finishing it. So no intention to create a return package, rather do the following:

- Update the Main Translation Memories
- Generate the target translations and finish the Project

When you do this the SDLXLIFF will be converted to the target files and the SDLXLIFF is hidden away because it's finished. You can revert to SDLXLI
... See more
Hi,

Interesting thread and I hope I can shed some light on this. First of all, if you Finalise the Project you are in effect finishing it. So no intention to create a return package, rather do the following:

- Update the Main Translation Memories
- Generate the target translations and finish the Project

When you do this the SDLXLIFF will be converted to the target files and the SDLXLIFF is hidden away because it's finished. You can revert to SDLXLIFF if you wish to reopen the Project, but the use of this batch task is intended to be the end of the job.

So, if you have received a Package (and you can have packages for different things) then you should complete the work you have been asked to do and once this is done you create the return package. If you wanted to generate target files to check then don't finalise them (or you have the revert to SDLXLIFF), just use the export target translations batch task or save target as functions.

The contents of the return package can vary. It depends on what the package was created for in the first place and whether you added any to supplement the information you were returning. Essentially though the important files are the translated SDLXLIFF files and the SDLPROJ. As long as these are in the package then the recipient can update their project files with them. The TM isn't necessary, but you could add it if you wanted.

Under the hood it could do with some tidying up I think (2011 has already removed all the unnecessary filetypes), but as long as you don't Finalise the Project before creating the return package then you will have a single file (SDLRPX) that should do the job of updating the Project that is intended.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, Paul! Aug 12, 2011

I really appreciate your response on a Friday night. So, if I receive a package for translation, and proceed as you described, will the client only receive my translated sdlxliff files and no target files (like PowerPoint presentations, for example)? Do I need to generate and send them separately?

Thanks a lot, once again!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I have the same problem... Aug 12, 2011

sometimes, after I translate and finalise the file and create the return package, the end client finds there is no target file in it. I haven't been able to find the reason for this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... and don't let me mention my terrible .NET Frame problem (Value was either too large or too small for an Int32)...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Target files Aug 12, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

I really appreciate your response on a Friday night. So, if I receive a package for translation, and proceed as you described, will the client only receive my translated sdlxliff files and no target files (like PowerPoint presentations, for example)? Do I need to generate and send them separately?

Thanks a lot, once again!

Hi Adam,

The only time you need to attach the target files will be if you reduced the embedded file size in the SDLXLIFF filetype. SDLXLIFF files contain a binary portion that allows the source or target file to be recreated from the SDLXLIFF alone (with appropriate filetype in case you used a custom one to create the SDLXLIFF). So normally you shouldn't need to include them.

But if you change the expension to *.ZIP then you can check what's in there and you may find they are included anyway... I wanted to test this and double check but I can't send a package to myself and don't remember what's in there by default..!

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-08-12 22:07 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Aug 12, 2011

Thanks again, Paul.
I was thinking about PowerPoint files in particular, as I always have to resize text boxes in them after translation (and sometimes make other adjustments). I guess I'll just add them separately.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I see what you mean.. Aug 12, 2011

Hi Adam,

I guess you are following a better process like that given the likelihood with Powerpoint for dtp work being needed,

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Reinstall? Aug 12, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

... and don't let me mention my terrible .NET Frame problem (Value was either too large or too small for an Int32)...

Hi,

Maybe a .NET reinstall is necessary for you? You could uninstall Studio, then reinstall .NET from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Then run the Studio installer again. Perhaps this would help resolve the problem?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Thanks... Aug 15, 2011

I'll try and do that... when I have a minute!

Giovanni

SDL Support wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

... and don't let me mention my terrible .NET Frame problem (Value was either too large or too small for an Int32)...

Hi,

Maybe a .NET reinstall is necessary for you? You could uninstall Studio, then reinstall .NET from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Then run the Studio installer again. Perhaps this would help resolve the problem?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Target file Aug 16, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

But if you change the expension to *.ZIP then you can check what's in there and you may find they are included anyway... I wanted to test this and double check but I can't send a package to myself and don't remember what's in there by default..!

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-08-12 22:07 GMT]

when you create a return package, it seems that target files are NOT included, for some reason. It happens every time, now.... the client gets back to me saying there is no target file. Unless I'm doing something wrong... but at the end of the translation, I just save the bilingual file, then update the memories, save to target and create return package. Is this correct? But the target file doesn't seem to be included!

Vickie Dimitriadou

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not needed Aug 16, 2011

Hi Giovanni,

As I mentioned earlier the target files are not actually needed because they can be recreated from the target SDLXLIFF at any time.

Regards

Paul.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Aug 16, 2011

mmm... yes, but I suppose the client is too lazy to do that! They just want bilingual and target, so they can update the memory with the bilingual and use the target straightaway... but I will tell them that. Or is there a way to include the target file in the return package manually? I tried the .zip trick and I can see its content, but it doesn't allow me to add anything to it.

G

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Giovanni,

As I mentioned earlier the target files are not actually needed because they can be recreated from the target SDLXLIFF at any time.

Regards

Paul.

[Edited at 2011-08-16 09:19 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Return Package Content Problem

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »