How to subtitle Engliish subtitles by non-natice speakers?
Thread poster: marijaflora
marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 23:59
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2020

I am quite new to subtitle work, and I am wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some guidance on how to subtitle presentations in English by non-English native speakers?

For example, if a sentence was narrated as, "In Canada, males and females were put together"
(referring to survey results that men and women were tallied up together as one group)

should the sentence be transcribed as it is into the subtitle file, or should the wording be slightly edited
... See more
I am quite new to subtitle work, and I am wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some guidance on how to subtitle presentations in English by non-English native speakers?

For example, if a sentence was narrated as, "In Canada, males and females were put together"
(referring to survey results that men and women were tallied up together as one group)

should the sentence be transcribed as it is into the subtitle file, or should the wording be slightly edited to fall more in line with native English speaker standards such as change it to "In Canada, males and female results were calculated together"?

Is there any best practice rules for this, or does it all depend on what they client themselves wants?

Also, what should be done in the case where there are many such examples in the narrators English speech?

And if a presenter swears quite graphically in their presentation, this should be included word for word also?

Thank you

[Edited at 2020-12-10 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 13:59
French to Italian
+ ...
It depends on the client Dec 11, 2020

Hi Marija,
My experience is that it depends on the client. You need to ask these questions to every client, if they don't provide any guidelines.

marijaflora

marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 23:59
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 12, 2020

Thank you Elena.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to subtitle Engliish subtitles by non-natice speakers?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »