Subtitling translation software that supports DFXP files - urgent
Thread poster: Gutranslation
Gutranslation
Gutranslation
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:40
Oct 6, 2017

Hello,

I've only started translating subtitles this past year, it's been going fine but so far all the work I've done was done through companies' own subtitle online software.

Now that I am branching out, I am looking for a subtitling software where I can upload a regular MP4 video and a sub template in the following formats : DFXP, ITT, TT, STL and XLS. I'd need to export it in one of these formats as well obviously.

Since I'm only really starting doing t
... See more
Hello,

I've only started translating subtitles this past year, it's been going fine but so far all the work I've done was done through companies' own subtitle online software.

Now that I am branching out, I am looking for a subtitling software where I can upload a regular MP4 video and a sub template in the following formats : DFXP, ITT, TT, STL and XLS. I'd need to export it in one of these formats as well obviously.

Since I'm only really starting doing this, I'd like a free option or rather inexpensive option to start with. This is rather urgent as it's for a job I was offered.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Collapse

Michelle Pelescak

Nuno Oliveira
Nuno Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
Subtitle Edit Oct 6, 2017

Hi.

You can try Subtitle Edit, its free and supports multiple subtitle formats: http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/

Gutranslation
Gutranslation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitle Edit Oct 7, 2017

Hi Nuno,

Thank you so much for your response. I actually tried installing the latest version and for some reason it doesn't work on my computer (Windows 10, newish computer), but I managed to make it work by downloading an earlier version. I'll have to try it out.

I'm still open to other suggestions!

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
French to Spanish
+ ...
EZTitles Oct 7, 2017

Hi.

I use EzTitles and has that option. You can download a demo version from their web page: http://www.eztitles.com/

Good luck!

Gutranslation
Gutranslation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Ez titles Oct 7, 2017

Hi Margarita,

Thank you, such a shame that the demo limits to 25 subs per file though, otherwise I'd download it! It's quite expensive as I'm only just starting and I am just translating from a template, so no time coding needed.

I just need a software that can open the files and where I can translate efficiently while viewing the video.

I'm sure I'll have to invest in a good software eventually if I want to get invested in this though, so I'm keeping it in
... See more
Hi Margarita,

Thank you, such a shame that the demo limits to 25 subs per file though, otherwise I'd download it! It's quite expensive as I'm only just starting and I am just translating from a template, so no time coding needed.

I just need a software that can open the files and where I can translate efficiently while viewing the video.

I'm sure I'll have to invest in a good software eventually if I want to get invested in this though, so I'm keeping it in mind. Thank you!
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Aegisub (does not natively support the format you mention) Oct 7, 2017

One of the most advanced free (and open source) subtitling software I know is called Aegisub - http://www.aegisub.org/. It has a certain learning curve though. If you also do spotting, in Aegisub, you'll be better off using Audio instead of Video, for the most part. Much more efficient. This is explained in the related resources.

By default, Aegisub saves .ass files and can open/export to .srt and a
... See more
One of the most advanced free (and open source) subtitling software I know is called Aegisub - http://www.aegisub.org/. It has a certain learning curve though. If you also do spotting, in Aegisub, you'll be better off using Audio instead of Video, for the most part. Much more efficient. This is explained in the related resources.

By default, Aegisub saves .ass files and can open/export to .srt and a number of other formats. It does NOT handle the formats you mention, so you would need Subtitle Edit or another software or service to perform the conversion and check the final result.

You could give it a shot.

Jean
Collapse

Gutranslation
Gutranslation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Aegisubs Oct 8, 2017

Hi Jean,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think I'll have to try out a few options so it's good to have a couple softwares to try.

Thanks!

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:40
Estonian to English
+ ...
Subtitle Edit Oct 8, 2017

Subtitle Edit is the only one able to handle professional formats (at least open them). I don't know how well the files saved there in professional formats work in professional software.
I have no idea how they do it because you actually have to pay for the use of some professional formats (that a free software obviously cannot do), so I am not sure about the professional quality of the files saved there.
All of the other formats, used by free software, are basically text files and d
... See more
Subtitle Edit is the only one able to handle professional formats (at least open them). I don't know how well the files saved there in professional formats work in professional software.
I have no idea how they do it because you actually have to pay for the use of some professional formats (that a free software obviously cannot do), so I am not sure about the professional quality of the files saved there.
All of the other formats, used by free software, are basically text files and do not offer the professional functionality that is often required (e.g. raise text by 3 lines or raise to the top of the screen, left/centre-align etc).
However, almost all professional software offer monthly/annual payment plans. I'm sure EZTitles as well or for example
http://subtitling.com/products/subtitle-create/create/wincaps-q4-subtitling-software/
This shouldn't break your back, especially if you work with French. 1-2 projects or a few days of work should pay enough to cover the annual license fee.
Collapse

Gutranslation
Gutranslation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitle Edit Oct 8, 2017

Hi jbjb, thank you for your response. Indeed, that's why I decided to post here since it seemed like most freewares do not support the formats I mentioned. This is not so much about the money, and more about, is this worth investing in on my first project with this very company. I'm only starting out and who knows if I'll keep on doing this.

It is essential to deliver quality work though, a monthly or yearly subscription seems like a good compromise for my situation.

A
... See more
Hi jbjb, thank you for your response. Indeed, that's why I decided to post here since it seemed like most freewares do not support the formats I mentioned. This is not so much about the money, and more about, is this worth investing in on my first project with this very company. I'm only starting out and who knows if I'll keep on doing this.

It is essential to deliver quality work though, a monthly or yearly subscription seems like a good compromise for my situation.

As I said, I've only been getting into subtitle translation for the past year, I do not do any spotting, but I have a background in film and translation to start with so my experiences led me to this. I reached a point where I really enjoy it and I want to branch out (By studying subtitling and beginning to work with my own software, as opposed to just translating subs), but I am still unsure of everything. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, it's nice to get different opinions, especially from people with more experience than me.
Collapse

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
French to Spanish
+ ...
Full functioning trial Oct 10, 2017

Gutranslation wrote:

Hi Margarita,

I'm sure I'll have to invest in a good software eventually if I want to get invested in this though, so I'm keeping it in mind. Thank you!

Hi Gutranslation,

If you look here: http://www.eztitles.com/index.php?page=download-free-trials you'll find a free trial for the real product, limited to a month.

Maybe this could help.

Happy subtitling!

Gutranslation
Gutranslation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
EzTitles Oct 11, 2017

Hi Margarita,

Thank you, I did not realise that the free trial was different from the Demo.

I have tried Subtitle Edit and it's definitely doing the trick for now, although I do not find the interface that efficient for translation, it does its job. Definitely not as nice to use as what I tried so far so I'm happy that I can test EZTitles out without limitation, at least for 30 days. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling translation software that supports DFXP files - urgent

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »