Help! Stop these notifications I never signed up for!
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nov 10, 2020

I receive email notifications of new topics. That's OK. That's what I want.

But I DON'T want to then continue receiving a notification every time someone posts to that topic.

This is happening for all posts in all topics whether or not I click on this thing:

Screen Shot

I've tried clicking on it and then de-clicking on it but those unwanted email notifications just keep on coming.

Can someone tell me how to make this stop - or where the link is to ask the site operators (not the moderators) how to stop it? Because I've been all over the site looking for that link, and I can't find it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ditto Nov 10, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
But I DON'T want to then continue receiving a notification every time someone posts to that topic.

Fortunately, I don't have that problem (and some don't think of it as a problem). My problem is that I can't unsubscribe from threads that I started. I will never, ever start a new topic in the scams forum... I'm still getting replies to my scam report from donkey's years ago, and there is no way to unsubscribe.

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Works for me Nov 10, 2020

That's odd, Tom. It works for me. I presume you've clicked on Save changes. Sort of obvious, so that's probably not the reason.

If you start a topic, you may not be able to opt out, but I honestly don't know.

This is the link for contacting site support: https://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask

You get there by clicking on the encircled question mark in the naviga
... See more
That's odd, Tom. It works for me. I presume you've clicked on Save changes. Sort of obvious, so that's probably not the reason.

If you start a topic, you may not be able to opt out, but I honestly don't know.

This is the link for contacting site support: https://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask

You get there by clicking on the encircled question mark in the navigation bar, then My support requests.

Ask and thou shalt receive in answer.
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Possible answer here: Nov 10, 2020

I think you have the "answer" here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/323309-email_tracking_for_forum_threads_doesnt_work_properly.html?print=1
In your place, I would submit a support ticket to the staff and ask them if they already have a solution for this.
That box should also work when unchecked and
... See more
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/323309-email_tracking_for_forum_threads_doesnt_work_properly.html?print=1
In your place, I would submit a support ticket to the staff and ask them if they already have a solution for this.
That box should also work when unchecked and using "save changes" to stop receiving notifications from threads that one starts.
Try to insist with them in fixing that "feature", so that you and others with same problem don’t receive any notifications in the future.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not the answer Nov 11, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

That box should also work when unchecked and using "save changes" to stop receiving notifications from threads that one starts.
Try to insist with them in fixing that "feature", so that you and others with same problem don’t receive any notifications in the future.

No, that thread was about email notifications to those who start a discussion thread. My issue is about email notifications to people (such as me) who

- didn't start the thread
- didn't sign up for email notifications, but who nevertheless
- receive those notifications every time someone posts in the thread.

This is happening to me with ALL threads. I am receiving a large amount of email notifications I don't want. Of course I can tell my email client to trash them but that is not an ideal solution and it wastes a lot of my time.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Nov 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
This is happening to me with ALL threads. I am receiving a large amount of email notifications I don't want. Of course I can tell my email client to trash them but that is not an ideal solution and it wastes a lot of my time.

Could it be karmic retribution for having corrected one person’s grammar to far?

PS I simply unsubscribed from all messages from ProZ. Were I to receive anything now, it would cause an international incident. I know from my fisherman friends that the Task Force has never been stood down, and you know what happened six very long months later last time.

[Edited at 2020-11-11 08:44 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
unhelpful Nov 11, 2020

Chris S wrote:

unhelpful stuff

Thanks for generating yet another unwanted email reminder. Please don't post again unless you have something serious to say.

[Edited at 2020-11-11 09:01 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In all sheriushnesh Nov 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

unhelpful stuff

Thanks for generating yet another unwanted email reminder. Please don't post again unless you have something serious to say.

That’s a little harsh. I suggested that you unsubscribe from all emails. It worked for me.

I also suggest you open a support ticket with the site. They’re the ones that control these things, not us.

expressisverbis
Jessica Noyes
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's strange! Nov 12, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

No, that thread was about email notifications to those who start a discussion thread. My issue is about email notifications to people (such as me) who

- didn't start the thread
- didn't sign up for email notifications, but who nevertheless
- receive those notifications every time someone posts in the thread.

It can be annoying, I know that.
In that case, you really need to contact the staff, and tell them they have to fix that.
In fact, Proz staff have to fix many issues or bugs.
It's strange!

Ibrahim musei

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Nov 12, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

you really need to contact the staff

Done and fixed- thanks

Ibrahim musei
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great! Nov 12, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

you really need to contact the staff

Done and fixed- thanks

I'm glad that is solved!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Breaking news Nov 12, 2020

We're getting reports of an incident at a translation platform in Syracuse, New York. A man who would only identify himself as the "Notifications Equaliser" rang a company to complain about "unwanted, unwarranted, unwelcome and .... [there was a slight pause on the line as he apparently searched desperately for another adjective beginning with "unw-", and then ...] "totally absurd notifications day and night".

Many calls followed, during which the words "unnecessary", "unbecoming"
... See more
We're getting reports of an incident at a translation platform in Syracuse, New York. A man who would only identify himself as the "Notifications Equaliser" rang a company to complain about "unwanted, unwarranted, unwelcome and .... [there was a slight pause on the line as he apparently searched desperately for another adjective beginning with "unw-", and then ...] "totally absurd notifications day and night".

Many calls followed, during which the words "unnecessary", "unbecoming" and "unsolicited" were used repeatedly. The member of staff on call was quick to point out that the use of the term "day and night" was rather ironic, considering it was still the middle of the night in Syracuse, and he was taking these calls from his bed, whereupon the Notifications Equaliser said "Please don't evade the issue, and please do not talk to me about terminology. I know terminology. I remember the 60s, daddio. They were so chock-a-block with terminology it was far out, baby, not to mention too much, man. Stop the notifications, or you'll be sorry, I'm warning you."

Staff reported that the problem was solved within a very short space of time ...
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Kay-Viktor Stegemann

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
But are you still getting notifications for threads you started, Tom? Nov 12, 2020

But are you still getting notifications for threads you started, Tom?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Stop these notifications I never signed up for!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »