How do I prevent the Generating preview to activate for each segment I confirm?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:09
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2021

I'm working with a large MTPE project using SDL GroupShare with around seven TMs. For some reason, I get the Generating preview displayed furthest down to the left in the editor window. First occasionally, now for every segment I confirm. Sometimes, or often, it takes a very long time until I can proceed to next segment.

Does it have anything to do with that I have filtered the segments? If so, any suggestion how to not get any preview generated? I've already closed the preview wind
... See more
I'm working with a large MTPE project using SDL GroupShare with around seven TMs. For some reason, I get the Generating preview displayed furthest down to the left in the editor window. First occasionally, now for every segment I confirm. Sometimes, or often, it takes a very long time until I can proceed to next segment.

Does it have anything to do with that I have filtered the segments? If so, any suggestion how to not get any preview generated? I've already closed the preview window to the right in the editor window (the minimized).
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:09
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
try this Mar 11, 2021

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Does it have anything to do with that I have filtered the segments? If so, any suggestion how to not get any preview generated? I've already closed the preview window to the right in the editor window (the minimized).

From memory, close the preview completely, restart your project, and reopen the project without opening preview again. Preview has always been a disaster in Studio. Incidentally, which version of Studio are you using?

Michael

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Preview window already closed, should I now check in and check out the project again? Mar 11, 2021

I'm not sure what you mean with 'From memory'. Do you mean from Translation memories view? But I have no Preview option there.

What I did earlier is that I clicked on the X for the Preview window in the editor (the Preview window that pops up when you hover with the mouse pointer over it, furthest to the right side in the editor, alongside Useful Tips and Notifications). Then it disappeared.

In the Translation Memories view, the only window I have is the Field Values wi
... See more
I'm not sure what you mean with 'From memory'. Do you mean from Translation memories view? But I have no Preview option there.

What I did earlier is that I clicked on the X for the Preview window in the editor (the Preview window that pops up when you hover with the mouse pointer over it, furthest to the right side in the editor, alongside Useful Tips and Notifications). Then it disappeared.

In the Translation Memories view, the only window I have is the Field Values window furthest to the right. Do you mean I should close this one? Then check out the whole project and check it in again from GroupShare?

By the way, I found out that this problem doesn't have anything to do whether I filter the segments or not.

[Edited at 2021-03-11 19:30 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should I display Preview window again and then follow your advice? Mar 11, 2021

There is no Preview window now in the Translation Memories window. I already clicked the X for the Preview minimized window furthest to the right side in the Editor window. If I hadn't done that already, perhaps the Preview window would have been displayed furthest to the right side (as minimized window) also in the Translation Memories window.

What do you think, should I display Preview window again, then follow your advice (if the Preview window then will be displayed in the Trans
... See more
There is no Preview window now in the Translation Memories window. I already clicked the X for the Preview minimized window furthest to the right side in the Editor window. If I hadn't done that already, perhaps the Preview window would have been displayed furthest to the right side (as minimized window) also in the Translation Memories window.

What do you think, should I display Preview window again, then follow your advice (if the Preview window then will be displayed in the Translation Memories window) and I click on the X for the minimized Preview window in the Translation Memories window? After that, I check in the two batches and then download the two batches again to open in SDL Trados Studio 2021 (latest, updated version) and I finally check out the two batches again. And this time the Preview window shouldn't be displayed at all from the very outset (and I never open it again).

[Edited at 2021-03-12 10:16 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A possible work-around?: bookmark each segment instead of confirming into TM, then batch confirm? Mar 12, 2021

I received below explanation from SDL Support and they have set my case as fixed. But I don't believe in their explanations. There are other Studio users having this same problem, in particular one that has experienced exactly the same problem as I when he changed the shortcut to Ctrl+K. A quick way for me to get on with the project would be if I can bookmark each segment with a simple shortcut instead of confirming into memory. Then, when having a meal or break, I could batch confirm all bookma... See more
I received below explanation from SDL Support and they have set my case as fixed. But I don't believe in their explanations. There are other Studio users having this same problem, in particular one that has experienced exactly the same problem as I when he changed the shortcut to Ctrl+K. A quick way for me to get on with the project would be if I can bookmark each segment with a simple shortcut instead of confirming into memory. Then, when having a meal or break, I could batch confirm all bookmarked segments. Doesn't matter if it takes time as I'm away from the computer anyway. Could this work?

Anyway, here is SDL Support's conclusion:

Dear Pettersson Fredrik,

I have investigated and discussed this behavior internally, and concluded that "Generating Preview" message works as designed, it happens for all projects with server based TMs when confirming a segment.

There is no way to get rid of this message.

Regarding the performance, I see that it is reasonable because you are connected to a server and due to communication needed between studio and the end point server which would not be local and would account in comunication for latency and security protocols

I hope this explains.

But that explanation doesn't hold: Initially when starting out with this project, I didn't experience this problem at all. And even now, it's not always that I get the Generating preview displayed furthest down to the left in the Editor window. And, why should there even be a shortcut AND a minimized window in Editor window for Generate preview if that happens automatically anyway without any chance for the user to opt out of it?

I started to get this issue after I had changed shortcut for Concordance searches from F3 to Ctrl+K (the same as in MemoQ). That's the same thing that this other user that I found on a Google search experienced.

I'm longing to get back to MemoQ again...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MemoQ Feb 19, 2022

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
I'm longing to get back to MemoQ again...

Sorry for necroposting, but: MemoQ has a similar "feature" when working with checked out projects, particularly during revision. Sometimes (not always, but sometimes) it happens that whenever I confirm a segment, MemoQ re-synchronizes the project. With every segment I confirm. You'd think that simply disconnecting from the internet would be a solution, but no: that just causes MemoQ to pop up an error message about not being able to synchronize.

[Edited at 2022-02-19 09:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I prevent the Generating preview to activate for each segment I confirm?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »