Paola Olivieri  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2020

Hi all.

I am working on Trados Studio 2021.

I need to import the content of a en-US>it TM into a it>en-GB TM in order to update the latter with new useful units.
The former was wrongly set as US at the beginning.
As suggested in other posts, I exported the en-US>it TM into TMX, opened the TMX with Notepad++ editor and replaced all "en-US" codes with "en-GB", saved the modified TMX and tried to re-import the TMX into the en-GB>it TM. Trados read all the units
... See more
Hi all.

I am working on Trados Studio 2021.

I need to import the content of a en-US>it TM into a it>en-GB TM in order to update the latter with new useful units.
The former was wrongly set as US at the beginning.
As suggested in other posts, I exported the en-US>it TM into TMX, opened the TMX with Notepad++ editor and replaced all "en-US" codes with "en-GB", saved the modified TMX and tried to re-import the TMX into the en-GB>it TM. Trados read all the units but did not import any

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks much in advance for your help.
Paola

[Edited at 2020-11-05 10:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-05 10:07 GMT]
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Use "any file based TM" Nov 5, 2020

Do you need to import the en-US TM?
Could you not just add it to the project using "use any file based TM" ?

Paola Olivieri
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I need to import it Nov 5, 2020

Hi Mark.
I have a en-US>it TM and a it>en-GB TM.
My initial mistake (selecting US instead of UK) in the former has messed things up a little bit: this is why I have just created a new en-GB>it MT where I was able to import the it>en-GB TMX, but the issue remains the other way around because I apparently cannot import the en-US TM anywhere.
Your option is good (thank you) maybe to make sure that all TMs are taken into account when translating, despite my mistakes, but it does no
... See more
Hi Mark.
I have a en-US>it TM and a it>en-GB TM.
My initial mistake (selecting US instead of UK) in the former has messed things up a little bit: this is why I have just created a new en-GB>it MT where I was able to import the it>en-GB TMX, but the issue remains the other way around because I apparently cannot import the en-US TM anywhere.
Your option is good (thank you) maybe to make sure that all TMs are taken into account when translating, despite my mistakes, but it does not enable to keep the two TMs aligned and in order.
Any other idea?
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Here's an idea Nov 5, 2020

This idea may work if you have all the sdlxliff files that relate to the en-US>IT TM.

Create a new project in en-US>IT.

Add all the translated en-US sdlxliff files.

Select the en-GB>IT TM using "use any filed based TM".

Click on "update all TMs".

The content of the sdlixliff files should be directly imported into the en-GB TM.

Felipe Lacerda

Paola Olivieri
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Mark! Nov 5, 2020

Thank you very much, Mark!

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:07
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yup. Nov 5, 2020

Mark Nathan wrote:

This idea may work if you have all the sdlxliff files that relate to the en-US>IT TM.

Create a new project in en-US>IT.

Add all the translated en-US sdlxliff files.

Select the en-GB>IT TM using "use any filed based TM".

Click on "update all TMs".

The content of the sdlixliff files should be directly imported into the en-GB TM.

I was gonna say that. Using bilinguals to update TMs, instead of TMX files, is way much easier.

Paola Olivieri

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import a en-US>it TM into a it>en-GB TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »