How can I make sdlxliff files exported from memoQ 9 workable on SDL Trados 2014?
Thread poster: Marco Ramón
Marco Ramón
Marco Ramón  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:28
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Aug 7, 2020

I got a package in SDL Trados 2014 and translated the 15k words on in SDL Trados 2014. I have Win 10 and Office 365. Some incompatibility prevented me from executing tasks like... proofreading! So, I exported the files for proofreading on memoQ 9. The language pair is English US to Spanish Latin America (memoQ calls its Spanish Latin America "deprecated").
The sdlxliff files proofread and exported from memoQ are not recognized by SDL 2014. It treats them as "Reference" instead of translat
... See more
I got a package in SDL Trados 2014 and translated the 15k words on in SDL Trados 2014. I have Win 10 and Office 365. Some incompatibility prevented me from executing tasks like... proofreading! So, I exported the files for proofreading on memoQ 9. The language pair is English US to Spanish Latin America (memoQ calls its Spanish Latin America "deprecated").
The sdlxliff files proofread and exported from memoQ are not recognized by SDL 2014. It treats them as "Reference" instead of translatable files. If this is caused by the language pair definition, how can I change this definition on sdlxliff files already translated? Or, any ideas on how to make SDL 2014 usable with Office 365/Win 10? Please, help!
Collapse

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
File type Aug 7, 2020

Marco, hi,

I'm not sure in Studio 2014, but in 2017 and 2019 you can add the file type in the project's settings, there is a link "Additional installed files types" under "File types", click it and add the MQ type.

You can also export from MemoQ in .mqxlz (Save a compressed file, in the export bilingual dialog).

Once you get the file into Studio as a bilingual document (sdlxliff), you can import it into the TM using "import" in the translation memory sett
... See more
Marco, hi,

I'm not sure in Studio 2014, but in 2017 and 2019 you can add the file type in the project's settings, there is a link "Additional installed files types" under "File types", click it and add the MQ type.

You can also export from MemoQ in .mqxlz (Save a compressed file, in the export bilingual dialog).

Once you get the file into Studio as a bilingual document (sdlxliff), you can import it into the TM using "import" in the translation memory settings (of the project's settings). You can also create a new TM to just import your file. Then you can apply the TM to the original file.

If the language pair of the files is bugging you, you can open the file with a text editor (notepad) and change the target language from "x-es-XL" to whaever you need (es-ES, es-419, etc.)

Hope this helps, if you don't manage, write me a line and I will gladly convert your file to a sdlxliff you can open Studio.
Collapse

Marco Ramón
Marco Ramón  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:28
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Roy Aug 7, 2020

Hi Roy,

Thank you so much. I was going to go into the massive editing of each (30 in total) sdlxliff files. But, after a long break, I opened the folder containing the exported files from MQ. They already had the sdlxliff extension and SDL logo, I clicked right and tried opening one with SDL. It simply opened the SDL CAT and from there it was a breeze, as they say. Somehow I knew all along my problem was either "impossible" or plainly stupid. Yes, it was not impossible. I appreciate
... See more
Hi Roy,

Thank you so much. I was going to go into the massive editing of each (30 in total) sdlxliff files. But, after a long break, I opened the folder containing the exported files from MQ. They already had the sdlxliff extension and SDL logo, I clicked right and tried opening one with SDL. It simply opened the SDL CAT and from there it was a breeze, as they say. Somehow I knew all along my problem was either "impossible" or plainly stupid. Yes, it was not impossible. I appreciate your input.

Best o luck to you! Until the next one!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I make sdlxliff files exported from memoQ 9 workable on SDL Trados 2014?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »