Memory requirements for Trados 2019
Thread poster: Daniel Olsson
Daniel Olsson
Daniel Olsson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:27
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 30, 2020

I want to buy a laptop to be able to work on Trados when I am travelling.
Is 4 GB RAM sufficient, if I only run trados, nothing else?
How much diskspace does trados need?
The computer I am interested in has a smallish SSD, and I am wondering I you can run Trados of an external ssd?

Thanks in advance
Daniel Olsson

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
4GB Jun 30, 2020

4GB will barely run Windows 10.

Please do the rest of the world a favor and don't buy a laptop with 4GB RAM. It's not even about you, it's to stop encouraging manufacturers from putting turd on the market.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Officially... Jun 30, 2020

Daniel Olsson wrote:
I want to buy a laptop to be able to work on Trados when I am travelling. Is 4 GB RAM sufficient, if I only run Trados, nothing else?

Well, officially, you are "recommended" to have 8 GB for Trados 2019.

How much diskspace does Trados need?

On my computer, Trados folders take up 1.9 GB (this excludes projects).

The computer I am interested in has a smallish SSD, and I am wondering I you can run Trados of an external SSD?

I don't think installing Trados on a different drive will be a problem.

Run away from any computer with "small" storage unless you are able to replace the small storage with a bigger storage later on. The ability to use external storage does not make up for small internal storage. With small internal storage, sooner or later all the updates will fill up your drive and you won't be able to do anything with your computer except play Minesweeper. But what do you mean by "smallish"? 100 GB? 50 GB? 20 GB?

Trados claims that they will release version 2021 in July, and they say that that version will include a 1-year license for their web-based tool which will apparently work pretty much the same as the desktop version.

[Edited at 2020-06-30 05:54 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:27
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
If you are planning to work as a professional translator, don't skimp on the RAB Jun 30, 2020

Daniel Olsson wrote:
I want to buy a laptop to be able to work on Trados when I am travelling.
Is 4 GB RAM sufficient, if I only run trados, nothing else?

Problem is that you will run other things than Trados - antivirus for one. And are you not planning to have any browser on said laptop?

Regardless, both RAM and SSD disks are fairly cheep these days, so having a fair size of each would be a good investment. It sounds to me that the laptop you are planning to buy, is not worth the price if you are using it for work.

This reminds me of my mother. She wanted a laptop basically for reading e-mail and browsing and bought a cheap laptop. But only after a couple of years she realised it was veeeryy sluggish, so she bought herself an iPad instead, which worked much better for her.

I don't mean that you should consider an iPad, but buying a bottom line computer for serious work is really a bad investment.

Daniel Olsson wrote:
How much discplace does Trados need?

Impossible to answer, since that depends on how many projects you work on. In the not so long run most of the space Studio needs is decided by how many projects you run, not the software itself.

I would say you should go for a disk that is at least 250 GB (which to me is smallish), preferably lager. I have a 250 GB SSD systemdisk on my laptop and a 5 TB external disk for data. Works very nicely. If I should buy a new laptop, though, I probably would go for a 1 TB SSD disk as a systemdisk to be safe. (My main PC is a desktop computer, but it is in to service for the moment - has been for the last 2 months because of the Corona situation! )

Roy

[Edited at 2020-06-30 06:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memory requirements for Trados 2019

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »