Sloooow aligning of huge files (over 5000 segments), Studio 2017
Thread poster: Margarita Khabibullina
Margarita Khabibullina
Margarita Khabibullina
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Jun 1, 2020

Hello!
I have about 10000 segments in my alignment result file. When I try to change matches it takes literally about 1-2 minutes for each pair.... What's wrong with it? (((
Thanks in advance!

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:42
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Difficult to know what's wrong Jun 1, 2020

As you don't give much information, it is difficult to know what's wrong. It may not be Trados Studio, but rather a Windows problem.

How much free space do you have on your disk? If it is small, it may just be that the machine is rather cramped with space and as a result somewhat sluggish.
Do you have many programs up and running? Try to restart your machine and see if things get better.
Is there a lot of clutter on the disk? Try to clean it for unnecessary files. Cclean
... See more
As you don't give much information, it is difficult to know what's wrong. It may not be Trados Studio, but rather a Windows problem.

How much free space do you have on your disk? If it is small, it may just be that the machine is rather cramped with space and as a result somewhat sluggish.
Do you have many programs up and running? Try to restart your machine and see if things get better.
Is there a lot of clutter on the disk? Try to clean it for unnecessary files. Ccleaner is a free utility that is excellent in this regard. Then try to restart your machine.

One other thing which might influence it, could be that Internet is very sluggish. I experience that at the moment because most everyone is working from home and, therefore, is connected to the Internet. If that's the case, I am not sure if there is much one can do with it.

At least this could be a start - I don't know if there may be some other problem. One possibility is that your PC is beginning to be old and something may need to be replaced, for instance the disk.

Roy

[Edited at 2020-06-01 17:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-02 07:45 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Difficult to know what's wrong Jun 1, 2020

As you don't give much information, it is difficult to know what's wrong. It may not be Trados Studio, but rather a Windows system.

How much space do you have on your disk? If it is small, it may just be that the machine is rather cramped with space.
Is there a lot of clutter on the disk? Try to clean it for unnecessary files. Ccleaner is a free utility that is excellent i
... See more
As you don't give much information, it is difficult to know what's wrong. It may not be Trados Studio, but rather a Windows system.

How much space do you have on your disk? If it is small, it may just be that the machine is rather cramped with space.
Is there a lot of clutter on the disk? Try to clean it for unnecessary files. Ccleaner is a free utility that is excellent in this regard. Then try to restart your machine.

At least this could be a start - I don't know if there may be some other problem. One possibility is that your PC is beginning to be old and something may need to be replaced, for instance the disk.

Roy
Collapse

Margarita Khabibullina
Margarita Khabibullina
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Roy! Jun 16, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Roy

Thank you, Roy!
I have 147 Gb of free space, closing programs didn't work. So , I think only upgrade will help... I have only 4 Gb RAM...

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Yes, 4GB RAM is rather small and may well slow down your puter Jun 16, 2020

Margarita Khabibullina wrote:

Thank you, Roy!
I have 147 Gb of free space, closing programs didn't work. So , I think only upgrade will help... I have only 4 Gb RAM...

Personally I have 16 GB RAM on my PC, and in general they say the more RAM the better, although to a certain limit. 16 GB may be more than necessary (and even more is probably just waste), but you will probably see a good increase in speed if you go up to 8 or 12 GB.

In addition I would recomment an SSD disk as a system disk. Even an SDD disk with 0.5 TB space isn't that expensive these days - in Norway they cost around 100 dollar or so - well worth the investment, I would say.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sloooow aligning of huge files (over 5000 segments), Studio 2017

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »