Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:27
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 20, 2020

Hi experts,

I have Trados Studio 2015. As and when I try to "save target as" a MS Excel file translated by means of Trados Studio, I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I think that it is perhaps due to the reason that Excel files are not formatted in a manner which Trados supports. For example, sometimes there are four sentences in a single Excel cell but when we translate it through Trados, it divides the text i
... See more
Hi experts,

I have Trados Studio 2015. As and when I try to "save target as" a MS Excel file translated by means of Trados Studio, I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I think that it is perhaps due to the reason that Excel files are not formatted in a manner which Trados supports. For example, sometimes there are four sentences in a single Excel cell but when we translate it through Trados, it divides the text in that cell into four segments and which perhaps causes the above problem. Since I could not get the target file, I copied each and every sentence from the translated Trados file and then pasted it in the Excel file and wasted a great deal of time.

Does Trados support MS Excel files? Is there any solution for this problem as I sometimes face it, especially when translating Excel files?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra
Collapse

John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
try restarting May 20, 2020

Studio definitely supports Excel.
When I get that error (which is often), I always quit Studio and then restart it.
The error usually goes away at that point.

Robert Rietvelt
Aline Amorim

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply, but... May 21, 2020

the error did not go despite quitting and restarting the Studio. I look forward to receiving valuable advice from others.

John Fry wrote:

Studio definitely supports Excel.
When I get that error (which is often), I always quit Studio and then restart it.
The error usually goes away at that point.

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 18:57
German to English
+ ...
Object reference not set... May 21, 2020

1. Try running Studio Verify.
2. Obtain more details for the error message and search SDL Support pages.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion May 21, 2020

I tried to locate Studio Verify by looking at all tabs but in vain. Could you please tell me where can I find it?

Regards,

Chopra

Anthony Rudd wrote:

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
F8 May 21, 2020

I think Antony meant F8 - the QA function. It might tell you where the problem is. In any case, I will certainly follow his second piece of advice and search the internet. This is the most common error message in Studio.

Aline Amorim

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
How I solve May 21, 2020

I usually solve that problem with view>reset window layout, I hope it works also for you

Good luck!

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
verify is under tools May 21, 2020

chopra_2002 wrote:

I tried to locate Studio Verify by looking at all tabs but in vain. Could you please tell me where can I find it?

Regards,

Chopra

Anthony Rudd wrote:

In the drop down menu

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem persists May 21, 2020

I followed what you mentioned. But I still got this message:

Failed to save target content: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

It is very annoying thing.

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I usually solve that problem with view>reset window layout, I hope it works also for you

Good luck!

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Have you verified the tags? May 21, 2020

Hello Chopra,

Have you performed a verification of the tags in the file? If not, you should go to Project settings, Verification, then make sure that the Tag verification box (in the window to the right) is checked. To speed up the verification process (if speed is an issue) and to make it easier for you, I would suggest that you uncheck all the other verification options to make sure that the verfication process will only indicate "tag errors" to you, which is what you are looking
... See more
Hello Chopra,

Have you performed a verification of the tags in the file? If not, you should go to Project settings, Verification, then make sure that the Tag verification box (in the window to the right) is checked. To speed up the verification process (if speed is an issue) and to make it easier for you, I would suggest that you uncheck all the other verification options to make sure that the verfication process will only indicate "tag errors" to you, which is what you are looking for. Then press F8 again and see if you can identify any tag errors. If you do, you should then correct these tag errors and try to save your file again.

If this does not work, you could check the File Types settings. Again, you can access these settings via the Project settings, then look at the File types. Make sure that the box for the file type you are working on is checked in the window to the right. The best strategy might be to make sure that all boxes containing the words Microsoft Excel or Excel are checked. Then try to save again.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2020-05-21 17:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-21 17:44 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Aline Amorim
Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for your detailed and informative reply May 22, 2020

Hi Paul,

Thanks for explaining each and every thing in detail. I'll definitely give it a try and inform about the outcome.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Paul Malone wrote:

Hello Chopra,

Have you performed a verification of the tags in the file? If not, you should go to Project settings, Verification, then make sure that the Tag verification box (in the window to the right) is checked. To speed up the verification process (if speed is an issue) and to make it easier for you, I would suggest that you uncheck all the other verification options to make sure that the verfication process will only indicate "tag errors" to you, which is what you are looking for. Then press F8 again and see if you can identify any tag errors. If you do, you should then correct these tag errors and try to save your file again.

If this does not work, you could check the File Types settings. Again, you can access these settings via the Project settings, then look at the File types. Make sure that the box for the file type you are working on is checked in the window to the right. The best strategy might be to make sure that all boxes containing the words Microsoft Excel or Excel are checked. Then try to save again.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2020-05-21 17:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-21 17:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »