Is there a way to fine tune settings to get better fuzzy matches?
Thread poster: Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:02
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2020

Let's say that I have the following segment in my TM.
Although this is still considered an acceptable alternative name, most botanists now use the name Lamiaceae in referring to this family.

My new translation has the following segment:
1. Most botanists now use the name Lamiaceae in referring to this family.
2. This is still considered an acceptable name, and most botanists now use it when referring to this family.

Both would give fuzzy matches with a
... See more
Let's say that I have the following segment in my TM.
Although this is still considered an acceptable alternative name, most botanists now use the name Lamiaceae in referring to this family.

My new translation has the following segment:
1. Most botanists now use the name Lamiaceae in referring to this family.
2. This is still considered an acceptable name, and most botanists now use it when referring to this family.

Both would give fuzzy matches with a score of 70% or so. However, Segment 1 gives a much more useful fuzzy match. All I have to do is delete the first part of the sentence. For Segment 2, I will essentially have to translate from scratch, and it will not save me much time.

Is there any way that I can adjust the settings (possibly penalty settings) so that I will get only fuzzy matches of Type 1.
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Better fuzzy match Apr 17, 2020

You could write a regex to do a "cleanup" and convert to a single name.

Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could you elaborate Apr 17, 2020

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your response. Could you elaborate on that a bit?
Thanks,
Brent

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A per-project fitted value Apr 17, 2020

Brent, while certain language pairs combo may tend to specific fuzziness levels, CATs have different and proprietary formulae to calculate fuzzy matches (which is but Levenshtein/Edit distance modifications). To add to the confusion, texts in some fields and styles may be prone to fluctuation badly, so even with similar SVO-languages, I believe it’s a per-project value. Empirically... See more
Brent, while certain language pairs combo may tend to specific fuzziness levels, CATs have different and proprietary formulae to calculate fuzzy matches (which is but Levenshtein/Edit distance modifications). To add to the confusion, texts in some fields and styles may be prone to fluctuation badly, so even with similar SVO-languages, I believe it’s a per-project value. Empirically increase the fuzzy match threshold, eliminating too many false positives.

On the other hand, I think it’s not funny when translators have to waste their time on tweaking and struggling with the hardware or software instead of doing the job. Why should one make wild guesses and wait for a prompt (fuzzy match) already knowing the translation, I wonder?--Unless it’s about mimicking somebody else’s ‘uniformity’ guidelines, lex, and style, of course.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to fine tune settings to get better fuzzy matches?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »