Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 23:40
German to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2020

Hi All,

I have a client who has terms defined in their termbase so that one headword in German has several translations in EN but only one is actually "preferred" -- the rest are "deprecated".

This sounds like a good idea in principle (it certainly adds context to changing terminology, which is very useful for old TMs) but when you check with F8 and make these deprecated terms actually forbidden in the QA search, TRADOS flags *any segment* containing these words as inco
... See more
Hi All,

I have a client who has terms defined in their termbase so that one headword in German has several translations in EN but only one is actually "preferred" -- the rest are "deprecated".

This sounds like a good idea in principle (it certainly adds context to changing terminology, which is very useful for old TMs) but when you check with F8 and make these deprecated terms actually forbidden in the QA search, TRADOS flags *any segment* containing these words as incorrect. And it does not tell you where they are forbidden, either. Only searching "the other way around" (EN -> DE) lets you find the deprecated term.

Example:

I have these two terms in my TB, e.g.:

Schwarzbrot -> black bread defined as "preferred", rye bread defined as "deprecated"
Roggenbrot -> rye bread defined, nothing else

I run an F8 search, stating that I want my termbase "deprecated" entries to be flagged as "forbidden".

If I now have a text with segments where Roggenbrot is translated as rye bread, TRADOS will flag this as wrong, because "rye bread" is flagged as wrong for a *totally different term*. It does not link to the Roggenbrot entry, it just marks it wrong. Not exactly useful.

This is not intuitive. TRADOS seems to use forbidden terms as a *global* "stop-word list", which is not what it should be doing. A forbidden word should be forbidden for a particular term (like in memoQ), not the whole text regardless of source context.

Hope I have explained this properly, it's really counter-intuitive, which is why I mention it.

Any ideas?

Thx,

Ed
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forbidden terms in QA check (F8) in TRADOS: question about termbase structure

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »