Translating a PDF which is both editable and scanned, how do I translate the scanned part?
Thread poster: Louise Robinson (X)
Louise Robinson (X)
Louise Robinson (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
French to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2019

Hi all,
I'm having some issues with Trados and hope someone can help! I am a very new user so hopefully there is a straight forward resolution.

A client sent me an XLIFF document to translate in Trados and a copy of the original source text in normal PDF form. I have translated the XLIFF document but there are two pages which are still in the source language and haven't translated (I notice they seem to be scanned in the PDF whereas the rest of the document is editable). Trado
... See more
Hi all,
I'm having some issues with Trados and hope someone can help! I am a very new user so hopefully there is a straight forward resolution.

A client sent me an XLIFF document to translate in Trados and a copy of the original source text in normal PDF form. I have translated the XLIFF document but there are two pages which are still in the source language and haven't translated (I notice they seem to be scanned in the PDF whereas the rest of the document is editable). Trados isn't showing this text for me to translate.

I tried opening the PDF version in Trados (which is identical to the XLIFF document but was simply sent as a copy of the original text) and have downloaded the Trados Iris feature for OCR and the missing text is now showing in the PDF version however this isn't the document I am supposed to use, the client has specified that I use the XLIFF document which leaves part of the PDF out.

Why does the Iris OCR feature not pick up the missing text in the XLIFF file? Am I doing something wrong here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:32
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Invest in an OCR program Sep 25, 2019

For this use I am always using an OCR program. I have both Omnipage Pro and Abbyy Finereader, although I find Abbyy much better than Omnipage. Surprisingly enough, since it is a Russian development.

Then I would run the pdf through the OCR program and create a Word document, which I then import to Studio. Make it just editable, otherwise you get a lot of unwanted tags.

I would not use automatic OCR programs, since I very often find the result less than pleasing.

Amnon Shapira

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Louise Sep 25, 2019

Louise Robinson wrote:
The client has specified that I use the XLIFF document which leaves part of the PDF out.

The XLIFF file contains what it contains. If it doesn't contain the missing text, then there is no way to add the missing text to it. If the client insists that you translate only the XLIFF file, then it means that you can't translate the missing text. Does the client know that there is text missing, and that the missing text is not in the XLIFF file? Sometimes clients deliberately omit content in the XLIFF file.

Vera Schoen
Angus Stewart

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
OCR doesn't process XLIFF Sep 25, 2019

"the client has specified that I use the XLIFF document which leaves part of the PDF out."

If I understand correctly, your client doesn't need the PDF fragment translated, therefore, you can leave it as-is and attach to the translation. Or am I wrong?

When I'm wrong and that fragment must be translated, you should use the Iris OCR software to read the PDF fragment and convert it to DOC, DOCX, ODT or TXT, etc. whatever format is Trados-compatible. Then, you can translat
... See more
"the client has specified that I use the XLIFF document which leaves part of the PDF out."

If I understand correctly, your client doesn't need the PDF fragment translated, therefore, you can leave it as-is and attach to the translation. Or am I wrong?

When I'm wrong and that fragment must be translated, you should use the Iris OCR software to read the PDF fragment and convert it to DOC, DOCX, ODT or TXT, etc. whatever format is Trados-compatible. Then, you can translate it as a separate file (yet, if necessary, using the TM for the entire job). Finally, paste that fragment into the final target document in the location as in the source text.

HTH
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a PDF which is both editable and scanned, how do I translate the scanned part?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »