Juha Uusikartano
Juha Uusikartano  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:20
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2019

Hi folks, I only recently noticed that you can edit your target in the TM concordance search view. Seems handy, and I did a couple of changes as I noted some typos and other issues.

My question is, does Studio automatically update the edited target segment in the actual target file(s) too after any changes in the TM, or do you have to do some sort of batch task afterwards? And if so, which one would it be?

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
No Sep 16, 2019

Trados does not update anything other than the TM segment.
When you review the respective segment in Trados (whether in Review mode, or just by navigating to the relevant changed item), the Translation Results screen in Trados will point to a disparity between the TM and the edited file. That's all.
What you do with your edited files is up to you. To match the text to the TM without bothering with a million details you many have changed, just delete the segment in Trados (Alt-Dele
... See more
Trados does not update anything other than the TM segment.
When you review the respective segment in Trados (whether in Review mode, or just by navigating to the relevant changed item), the Translation Results screen in Trados will point to a disparity between the TM and the edited file. That's all.
What you do with your edited files is up to you. To match the text to the TM without bothering with a million details you many have changed, just delete the segment in Trados (Alt-Delete, I think), and Trados will insert the TM unit automatically with a confirmed Context Match status.
If you have lots of repetitions of that segment in different files, they will all be updated at that point in the sdlxliff files, but only of they are open in the same active project.
Any target files you may have generated will have to be regenerated.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

Juha Uusikartano
Juha Uusikartano  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hm Sep 16, 2019

Ok, thanks Sanda. I kinda expected that it wouldnt' update the translateable files. The project I am currently working with has over 100 files, and there's quite a bit repetition, so it's kind of hard to locate the appropriate segments manually. Especially as the TM doesn't say in which file the match appears, only when it was made, I think?

Would a QA check pick up any dicrepancies btw. translated text and TM?

[Edited at 2019-09-16 09:30 GMT]

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
@Juha Sep 16, 2019

If you can open all your project files in a combined sdlxliff file (which, given the repetitiveness of the files, makes very good sense), you may be able to select ALL the occurrences of that term by using the Review/Filter function, selecting 100% matches and TARGET as filtering criteria.

At this point, assuming that everything has been saved, I would DELETE all the filtered IDENTICAL segments and let them reinsert themselves from the TM, one by one. You don't need to reconfirm, bu
... See more
If you can open all your project files in a combined sdlxliff file (which, given the repetitiveness of the files, makes very good sense), you may be able to select ALL the occurrences of that term by using the Review/Filter function, selecting 100% matches and TARGET as filtering criteria.

At this point, assuming that everything has been saved, I would DELETE all the filtered IDENTICAL segments and let them reinsert themselves from the TM, one by one. You don't need to reconfirm, buy you may have to navigate down each segment. Some segments may take a few seconds to update from the TM.

Since I have no experience working with hundreds of files, this is just an idea of a possible solution.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017: edit translation unit F2?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »