How can I stop SDL 2019 from changing the original font size of a PPT?
Thread poster: Ph_B (X)
Ph_B (X)
Ph_B (X)
France
Local time: 22:41
French
+ ...
Aug 21, 2019

SDL 2019 changes the font size of the source document, so that I have to select this or that part of a large number of the translated slides to change the font from, say, size 20 back to the original size.

Note this is not consistent: some slides are fine and others are not and the ‘new’ fonts are not always of the same size. My document has 226 slides and I’ve had to put right about 2/3 of the slides I've already translated. A waste of time.

I’d be grateful for
... See more
SDL 2019 changes the font size of the source document, so that I have to select this or that part of a large number of the translated slides to change the font from, say, size 20 back to the original size.

Note this is not consistent: some slides are fine and others are not and the ‘new’ fonts are not always of the same size. My document has 226 slides and I’ve had to put right about 2/3 of the slides I've already translated. A waste of time.

I’d be grateful for any solution. Thank you (and apologies if this has already been discussed).
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Tag location? Aug 21, 2019

Ph_B wrote:
Note this is not consistent: some slides are fine and others are not and the ‘new’ fonts are not always of the same size.

I suspect you are ignoring or not noticing tags while translating, so that the location of the translated text is different to that of the original text, in terms of tag positioning. Consider the example below to be a typical target segment, with made-up tags:

TT1font-begin Untranslated text in a sentenceTT1font-end TT2font-begin formatted using different fonts.TT2font-end.

If you insert all the translation between the first set of tags, marking the "TT1" font, and delete the remainder of the text, which is between the set of tags marking the "TT2" font, you'll end up with something like this:

TT1font-begin The entire translated sentence is now in here, using only one font.TT1font-end TT2font-begin TT2font-end

Note that there is no text between the "TT2" font tags. When you generate the target document, the fonts (or other formatting) will no longer be identical to those in the source document. Instead of a mixture of the "TT1" and "TT2" fonts, it will be only "TT1", and you will be annoyed that Studio has changed your fonts.

If this is indeed what is happening - and it could be something else entirely - the only solution that I know of is to pay attention to tags in the SDL editor (making them visible) and be careful where you insert text as you translate. This takes more time.

For this reason I tend to avoid projects with lots of formatting tags. If you are working directly from the source document rather than a package you might be able to reduce the number of tags using the utilities in TransTools.

Dan

Jorge Payan
Adam Warren
Dimmo Petrov

Ph_B (X)
Ph_B (X)
France
Local time: 22:41
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 22, 2019

Much appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I stop SDL 2019 from changing the original font size of a PPT?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »