Trados is Generating preview as soon as I confirm a segment.
Thread poster: Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Local time: 00:47
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 11, 2019

Hi! I got the same problem as so many times described with earlier versions. I work with Trados Studio 2019. Everything was working fine until, yesterday, I started having this problem:

- I translate my segment
- I confirm my segment (either with the CRTL+ENTER shortcut or by manually selecting the command with the mouse)
- Trados starts confirming the segment (I got the message "Generating preview" on the left corner)
- Everything freezes and I have to kill Trados
... See more
Hi! I got the same problem as so many times described with earlier versions. I work with Trados Studio 2019. Everything was working fine until, yesterday, I started having this problem:

- I translate my segment
- I confirm my segment (either with the CRTL+ENTER shortcut or by manually selecting the command with the mouse)
- Trados starts confirming the segment (I got the message "Generating preview" on the left corner)

I tried already so many things described in this forum (f.inst. new shortcuts for the preview functions), but nothing works. I also installed SP2, tried to repair the program etc.

This is so annoying. Every second year I buy a new version of Trados hoping for a better functionality, and it's just as annoying as Windows. Crashing all the time. No problems fixed, nearly useless new features. It's a shame! As soon as someone creates a professional translation tool for Apple (which is compatible with all the Trados/MemoQ files I got from my clients) I will switch.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
A professional translation tool for Apple: CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant Aug 11, 2019

Annette Bredewold wrote:

As soon as someone creates a professional translation tool for Apple (which is compatible with all the Trados/MemoQ files I got from my clients) I will switch.

You can already try CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant, which can do everything with existing SDLPPX packages that Studio can do, except for one thing: process tracked changes. (This hasn't been implemented until now.)

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
CAT Tools for the Mac Aug 11, 2019

Annette Bredewold wrote:

- I translate my segment

I tried already so many things described in this forum (f.inst. new shortcuts for the preview functions), but nothing works. I also installed SP2, tried to repair the program etc.

This is so annoying. Every second year I buy a new version of Trados hoping for a better functionality, and it's just as annoying as Windows. Crashing all the time. No problems fixed, nearly useless new features. It's a shame! As soon as someone creates a professional translation tool for Apple (which is compatible with all the Trados/MemoQ files I got from my clients) I will switch.

Hi Annette
there are some very good CAT tools for the Mac and not necessarily online tools. A lot of us professional translators use these professional tools.

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools for Apple Aug 11, 2019

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply! Can you suggest a program for Apple, which is compatible with Trados files? I unfortunatly couldn't find such a program.

Kind regards
Annette

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
CAT tools for the Mac Aug 12, 2019

Annette Bredewold wrote:

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your reply! Can you suggest a program for Apple, which is compatible with Trados files? I unfortunatly couldn't find such a program.

Kind regards
Annette

Hi Annette
see Hans's answer, Cafetran is definitely a great tool to use on a Mac. Then there is Swordfish which can process sdlxliff files (no sdlppx though) and Wordfast Pro 5 which can process sdlppx files but cannot (yet) export return packages, only sdlxliff files. If you are not afraid of a fairly steep learning curve I'd suggest Cafetran (https://www.cafetran.com) and a lifetime licence is definitely affordable, Igor's support is great and you can find all the help you need on https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/home

Wolfgang

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados is Generating preview as soon as I confirm a segment.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »