Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:04
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 9, 2019

I have just bought a new laptop computer: a Lenovo Thinkpad L580. I have installed Studio 2019 SR2.

Normally, the key combination Fn+Left is equivalent to pressing the Home key, while Fn+Right is equivalent to pressing the End key. Naturally, these are two combinations I use a lot when editing text. But, in Studio, every time I press the Fn key, the "Create Return Package" dialog comes up.

I checked and there is no keyboard shortcut assigned to this action, so I can't t
... See more
I have just bought a new laptop computer: a Lenovo Thinkpad L580. I have installed Studio 2019 SR2.

Normally, the key combination Fn+Left is equivalent to pressing the Home key, while Fn+Right is equivalent to pressing the End key. Naturally, these are two combinations I use a lot when editing text. But, in Studio, every time I press the Fn key, the "Create Return Package" dialog comes up.

I checked and there is no keyboard shortcut assigned to this action, so I can't think of a way to stop this behaviour.

Can anyone replicate this? Are there any known workarounds or fixes?
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Only trados? Aug 9, 2019

Do the keys work differently in other software?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already answered Aug 9, 2019

As I said, Fn+Left is equivalent to Home, and Fn+Right is equivalent to End. Fn by itself does nothing, obviously: it is a modifier key. Only in Trados Studio it works as if it were a normal key.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Create a shortcut Aug 9, 2019

Then it might be something similar to this:
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/269354-studio_2014_keeps_trying_to_create_return_package_during_translation.html

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably Aug 9, 2019

This is what I thought I'd try before posting here, but then forgot to... I will do it and let you know what happened, for future reference.

Thanks, Lincoln, for digging out this old forum post. Much appreciated.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Aug 12, 2019

I confirm that by assigning a keyboard shortcut to "Create Return Package" I can now press the Fn key and nothing will happen, as expected and desired.

XtS
XtS
Germany
Local time: 00:04
English to German
+ ...
Lenovo Thinkpad T480S - same problem Sep 5, 2020

I know this thread is a little old, but I found it via a Google search and just wanted to say that I am experiencing the same Problem.
In my case, I have reassigned the Fn key to the CTRL key, so pressing this key once, the mentioned dialog comes up.

I am on a Lenovo ThinkPad 480S.

I'll assign a key combination so as to avoid this.
Thank you, Epameinondas Soufleros, for the suggestion.

Lars Sundin
Lars Sundin
Sweden
Me too... Oct 13, 2021

And now, still a year later, I was lucky to find this thread and finally got rid of this silly little problem that forced me to change my ingrained "shortcut behavior" when using SDL. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fn key on Lenovo laptop brings up "Create Return Package" dialog in Studio 2019

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »