Francisco Callejo García
Francisco Callejo García
Spain
Local time: 11:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

Hello!

I have a technical question about Trados. I have two TMs with the same source content in English, one into esES and the other into esMX. I need now to create a TM taking both target languages and using one of them (esES) as source language. To make it clear, this is what I have and I need:

-Have TM enUS>esES
-Have TM enUS>esMX (same content)
-Need TM esES>esMX

Does anybody here know if this is feasible?

Thank you for your sup
... See more
Hello!

I have a technical question about Trados. I have two TMs with the same source content in English, one into esES and the other into esMX. I need now to create a TM taking both target languages and using one of them (esES) as source language. To make it clear, this is what I have and I need:

-Have TM enUS>esES
-Have TM enUS>esMX (same content)
-Need TM esES>esMX

Does anybody here know if this is feasible?

Thank you for your support
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not in trados Oct 12, 2017

It can be done but it may not be trivial. If the content is EXACTLY the same then you can convert the TMs into xls(x), switch the columns around to create an es-es table, convert that into tmx and import that into Trados... If Trados can handle an es-es - es-mx TM. You can test that easily beforehand.
If the content is not exactly the same, you'll have to review and fix the alignment in excel.

[Edited at 2017-10-12 11:24 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TMX editor? Oct 15, 2017

If this indeed can’t be done in Trados, perhaps*) you could use a CAT tool that can open TMX files as projects (or a standalone TMX editor).

First you open EN - ES and commit this to a new, trilingual TM.

Then you delete the target in the editor and open the EN - MX as a project TM.

Insert all exact matches. Optionally, filter on empty segments and work through the fuzzy matches.

Commit the EN - MX project to the trilingual TM. Now you sh
... See more
If this indeed can’t be done in Trados, perhaps*) you could use a CAT tool that can open TMX files as projects (or a standalone TMX editor).

First you open EN - ES and commit this to a new, trilingual TM.

Then you delete the target in the editor and open the EN - MX as a project TM.

Insert all exact matches. Optionally, filter on empty segments and work through the fuzzy matches.

Commit the EN - MX project to the trilingual TM. Now you should have a TM with:

EN
ES
MX

I don’t think that EN will get in your way. If it does, you could remove it or perhaps you’d like to change it to segment notes.

*) I didn’t test this scenario.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging two TMs (enUS>esES & enUS>esMX) to create an esES>esMX one

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »