Thread poster: Jean-Paul Salaün (X)
Jean-Paul Salaün (X)
Jean-Paul Salaün (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:51
English to French
Oct 3, 2017

Hi all,
i am working on an alignment between English and French files wich apparently are not exactly the same but have some similar parts.
the results are rather disappointing. i have a mess of connections which very far apart one of the other on the screen and lot of segments that i want to delete. I remnber it was possible in Workbench, bus this new version doesnt seem to have this fonction.
It i quite impossible to match segments when thay are not on the same screen which
... See more
Hi all,
i am working on an alignment between English and French files wich apparently are not exactly the same but have some similar parts.
the results are rather disappointing. i have a mess of connections which very far apart one of the other on the screen and lot of segments that i want to delete. I remnber it was possible in Workbench, bus this new version doesnt seem to have this fonction.
It i quite impossible to match segments when thay are not on the same screen which is the case.
Does anybody have a cue on this problem.

to be frank i do not consider this new version of SDL better than 2015.

best JP
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use WinAlign, or LF_aligner. Oct 3, 2017

Jean-Paul Salaün wrote:

Hi all,
It i quite impossible to match segments when thay are not on the same screen which is the case.
Does anybody have a cue on this problem.

to be frank i do not consider this new version of SDL better than 2015.

best JP

WinAlign (the old aligner from Trados Workbench days) should still be installed on your computer. You should be able to find it on your computer in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\T2007\TT\Winalign.exe

Of course, WinAlign is limited to certain file types only, and if you have (for example) *.docx files to align, you might have to first save them as *.rtf.

Another good alignment tool you can use is LF_aligner (you can download it from https://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/).

Don't try to use the "aligner" function provided with Studio: it's absolutely useless, crippled in ways that boggle the mind (for instance: when it first came out, it was supposed to be so good that it was completely automatic. No joining of splitting of segments, no nothing. Of course, it soon proved to be anything but useful that way, so they added some manual functionality. No splitting of segments, yet, AFAIK, but they now allow joining... only, since doing otherwise might have made the software somewhat useful, they allow joining up to three segments... no more than that.)

The current Studio alignment module might be able to align two documents that are completely identical, but for anything else it is just a waste of time: it's as if SDL had launched an internal contest for the most useless piece of software, and the winning entry became the new alignment module.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to delete segments in alignment process

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »