Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 22, 2016

I translated a .XLIFF file (XLF file) in Studio 2014. Studio converted the file automatically in a SDLXLIFF file.

The client is working with Wordbee. According to him this CAT doesn't import SDLXLIFF.

So, I have to deliver a .XLIFF file, but all I got is the SDLXLIFF and I have no clue how to convert it.

Is there anybody who can help me please? (quite urgent!)

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Export? Dec 22, 2016

If you imported the .xliff in Studio, can't you just export (from the batch tasks)? This usually creates the target file in the same format as the source. Isn't it working for you?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Dec 22, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

If you imported the .xliff in Studio, can't you just export (from the batch tasks)? This usually creates the target file in the same format as the source. Isn't it working for you?

No, when I export the .XLIFF, it converts automatically to SDLXLIFF.

[Edited at 2016-12-22 12:28 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Save as target? Dec 22, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
So, I have to deliver a .XLIFF file, but all I got is the SDLXLIFF and I have no clue how to convert it.

My logic tells me that you should have the option somewhere to "save as target". I seem to recall that you can right-click the project in the project list and then select (I think) "batch tasks" and then there is an option to generate the target file, which should be XLIFF.

Elena Feriani

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Save as Target Dec 22, 2016

If the file was an .xliff it should be an .xliff when saved as target text.
File > Target Text save as (or something like that).
The following dialogue box should offer .xliff automatically.

Jaro M.
Elena Feriani
Weiling Lee

starlinguk
starlinguk  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
How do I do this in 2017? Sep 22, 2018

The "save target as" option has been reduced to just being able to save docs. No more saving as xliff possible (which is incredibly annoying since I can no longer import into WordBee or send my client plain xliff files). Also no more saving as rtf or anything like that (also very, very necessary to solve certain Trados problems).

Nagehan Carroll

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you ever been able to export xliff files from Studio? Sep 22, 2018

starlinguk wrote:

The "save target as" option has been reduced to just being able to save docs. No more saving as xliff possible (which is incredibly annoying since I can no longer import into WordBee or send my client plain xliff files). Also no more saving as rtf or anything like that (also very, very necessary to solve certain Trados problems).

There is no need to export xliff files, since the sdlxliff files are in this format already. So if your client has problems with this format, you should be able to just change the extension sdlxliff into xliff. When I translate the sdlxliff files in Studio, I import the file directly from the Studio\nb-NO folder. Then when I export the sdlxliff file from Dejavu, I just copy them into the nb-NO folder again. No need to take the extra (superfluous) step of exporting xliff files from Studio.

And if you want an rtf file (which is called "External view"), I believe you can just right click the sdlxliff file in question in the Files view and choose it from the Batch menu that pops up (or you can choose it from the ribbon). (I have moved Studio to a laptop since I am leaving for a week's convension tomorrow, so I cannot check from this machine.)

Roy

[Edited at 2018-09-22 13:02 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Target text is probably an export of the finished translation and not a dual language file. Sep 22, 2018

Silke Walter wrote:

If the file was an .xliff it should be an .xliff when saved as target text.
File > Target Text save as (or something like that).
The following dialogue box should offer .xliff automatically.

As sdlxliff is already in the xliff format, it should be sufficient to change the extension from sdlxliff to xliff and be finished with it.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Incorrect Sep 22, 2018

Roy Oestensen wrote:
There is no need to export xliff files, since the sdlxliff files are in this format already. So if your client has problems with this format, you should be able to just change the extension sdlxliff into xliff.

SDLXLIFF is an XLIFF but if your source file was an XLIFF then you cannot simply change the extension of the SDLXLIFF and hand it over to your client as the XLIFF you started with is not going to have the same structure as the one created by Studio. You just need to save the target file an XLIFF. Many ways to do this but if you just have one file then open it in the Studio Editor and use File -> Save Target As, or Shift+F12.

Regards

Paul
http://xl8.one

Helga Humlova
AlisonTunley
Victoria Romero
Oriol Vives (X)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In 2019 the method is the same Sep 22, 2018

starlinguk wrote:
[In 2017,] the "save target as" option has been reduced to just being able to save docs.

I just tried it with 2019 (which I'm told is essentially 2017 labelled "2019"), and the method is still the same: right-click the project (or the file in project view), select "Batch tasks" and select "Generate target file". This turns the SDLXLIFF file back into an XLIFF file.

Roy Oestensen wrote:
As sdlxliff is already in the xliff format, it should be sufficient to change the extension from sdlxliff to xliff.

No.... while all SDLXLIFF files are XLIFF files, not all XLIFF files are SDLXLIFF files.

XLIFF is an extensible format, which typically means that different programs create different variants of it that are all basically "XLIFF" but which may have extended the format in different ways. Wordbee XLIFF and Trados XLIFF are both "XLIFF" but they're not the same format and can't be used interchangeably by simply changing the file extension.

When Trados reads a non-Trados XLIFF file, it converts it to SDLXLIFF in the same way as it converts a DOCX or XLSX file to SDXLIFF, so the SDLXLIFF file that was created from a non-Trados XLIFF file is not simply the same file but with a different file extension.

Roy Oestensen

Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you, Paul! This explanation just saved my life. May 10, 2019

SDL Community wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:
There is no need to export xliff files, since the sdlxliff files are in this format already. So if your client has problems with this format, you should be able to just change the extension sdlxliff into xliff.

SDLXLIFF is an XLIFF but if your source file was an XLIFF then you cannot simply change the extension of the SDLXLIFF and hand it over to your client as the XLIFF you started with is not going to have the same structure as the one created by Studio. You just need to save the target file an XLIFF. Many ways to do this but if you just have one file then open it in the Studio Editor and use File -> Save Target As, or Shift+F12.

Regards

Paul
http://xl8.one

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Having the same problem, can anybody help? Mar 24, 2020

Here is the situation. The client always needs .xliff files and so far it worked well and managed to save xliff files and send them to the client. Even though my Trados always "picks" it as sdlxliff, I always manage to save it as xliff through "save target as" route and then selecting save as original file. This time it doesn't work and I am always prompted to error: "Failed to save target content. Problem when converting to original file type". I only managed to save target as 1) ttxs and 2) sd... See more
Here is the situation. The client always needs .xliff files and so far it worked well and managed to save xliff files and send them to the client. Even though my Trados always "picks" it as sdlxliff, I always manage to save it as xliff through "save target as" route and then selecting save as original file. This time it doesn't work and I am always prompted to error: "Failed to save target content. Problem when converting to original file type". I only managed to save target as 1) ttxs and 2) sdlxliff, none of which work for the client.

I contacted the client asking them if they changed anything with this project in terms of source format, as all of a sudden I can't save the files as xliff now, they said they didn't. The client reported back:

Base file is .xliff which was then transformed to .ttx and then .sdlxliff
In Trados Studio, the client can transform .xliff to .ttx. However, they cannot transform .ttx to xliff.

I tried all suggestions I could find on here or online such as batch tasks, generate target file, export files, etc. none of which worked, as same error keeps popping up.

The client uses 2014, I'm using 2017.

Perhaps this is something minor that I'm simply failing to spot, not sure. I would appreciate help as soon as possible, thanks.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Ask client to receive the source file as xliff Mar 24, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
Here is the situation. The client always needs .xliff files and so far it worked well and managed to save xliff files and send them to the client. Even though my Trados always "picks" it as sdlxliff, I always manage to save it as xliff through "save target as" route and then selecting save as original file. This time it doesn't work and I am always prompted to error: "Failed to save target content. Problem when converting to original file type". I only managed to save target as 1) ttxs and 2) sdlxliff, none of which work for the client.

If you receive the file in xliff format, I would have thought that you can export the translated file in the same format. I wonder if that may be the problem - you are suddenly receiving the file in a different format than in the past. If not, and they need an xliff file, then they should be able to convert to xliff.

But I am confused: If they use Studio 2014, why do they need the xliff format? The file format in Studio is sdlxliff. Could it be a confusion on the part of the project manager? They say "xliff" and mean the native Studio sdlxliff format? Mainly a thought.

Roy

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Already answered in my initial post. Mar 24, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

If you receive the file in xliff format, I would have thought that you can export the translated file in the same format. I wonder if that may be the problem - you are suddenly receiving the file in a different format than in the past. If not, and they need an xliff file, then they should be able to convert to xliff.

But I am confused: If they use Studio 2014, why do they need the xliff format? The file format in Studio is sdlxliff. Could it be a confusion on the part of the project manager? They say "xliff" and mean the native Studio sdlxliff format? Mainly a thought.

Roy

They need it for their own technical reasons. They simply cannot process sdlxliff for what they need.

I already asked the client if they changed anything comparing to earlier files, they said they didn't. They said, quoting the client:

"Base file is .xliff which was then transformed to .ttx and then .sdlxliff
In Trados Studio, the client can transform .xliff to .ttx. However, they cannot transform .ttx to xliff."

Yes, I agree with you, if their base file is .xliff, then it's weird that I cannot save target as .xliff? Maybe this middle step "ttx" before sdlxliff gets in the way? But the type of files they sent earlier (I crosschecked) was exactly the same, and I never had this error/problem.

Is Unicode selection related to this in anyway, as I am prompted to select when saving target. I tested it with a couple of different ones always ending in the same error. Trados always suggest the 8 on its own.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 11:04 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:06
English to Russian
What is the source file you get for translation? Mar 24, 2020

You mentioned that 'Base file is .xliff which was then transformed to .ttx and then .sdlxliff'. Who transformed it and why? Does it mean that you get '.ttx and .sdlxliff' files as source for your translation?
If yes, then you cannot save source ttx or sdlxliff as target xliff; and that is why you managed to save it as ttx and sdlxliff.
If not, then why they transform the file and what it has to do with your workflow?

It does not matter what their base file is. What mat
... See more
You mentioned that 'Base file is .xliff which was then transformed to .ttx and then .sdlxliff'. Who transformed it and why? Does it mean that you get '.ttx and .sdlxliff' files as source for your translation?
If yes, then you cannot save source ttx or sdlxliff as target xliff; and that is why you managed to save it as ttx and sdlxliff.
If not, then why they transform the file and what it has to do with your workflow?

It does not matter what their base file is. What matters is the file type they send to you for translation. If you get ttx files, you cannot make xliff from them even if such ttx file was obtained from xliff.
Trados (as well as many other CAT tools) transforms all files into its own format, sdlxliff. Therefore, the Import<=>Export workflow is ttx=>sdlxliff=>ttx or sdlxliff=>sdlxliff=>sdlxliff. Trados does not know where the ttx or source sdlxliff or any other source file came from. You and your client know that ttx was transformed from xliff. Trados doesn't.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 14:24 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting SDLXLIFF to .XLIFF

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »