MultiTerm 2014 "Conversion option could not be initialised properly" trouble
Thread poster: Minh Tran
Minh Tran
Minh Tran
Vietnam
Local time: 21:56
English to Vietnamese
Sep 12, 2016

Currently, I'm having trouble with this error when trying to create termbase with excel file, both .xls and .xlsx. When I want to convert them, this "Conversion option could not be initialised properly. The file cannot be opened in Microsoft Excel." Did try fixing by using options from http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/1405.html and <... See more
Currently, I'm having trouble with this error when trying to create termbase with excel file, both .xls and .xlsx. When I want to convert them, this "Conversion option could not be initialised properly. The file cannot be opened in Microsoft Excel." Did try fixing by using options from http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/1405.html and http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3903.html. Tried repair Office but not working, looked to Click-to-Run component in service in registry but none was found. I tried solution in 1405 article. The problem with doing that is my termbase has Unicode characters, when changing to UTF they all turn to question mark "?". Anyone with better solution pls answer, since I reallly do not want to fix more than 1k words by hand. Thank youCollapse

Minh Tran
Minh Tran
Vietnam
Local time: 21:56
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Found Solution. Yay!!! Sep 12, 2016

My solution almost the same as 1405, just this time I save Excel file to Unicode Text, then save that .txt file with UTF-8 encoding. Put this file in MultiTerm Convert and it worked with me just fine.

Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz

Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz
Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz
Spain
Local time: 15:56
English to Spanish
Thanks Apr 20, 2020

xoi100dong wrote:

My solution almost the same as 1405, just this time I save Excel file to Unicode Text, then save that .txt file with UTF-8 encoding. Put this file in MultiTerm Convert and it worked with me just fine.

Thank you very much!!!! Only I have to say in order to keep Spanish characters I had to save the .txt file with UTF-8 with BOM. Otherwise, this was the solution I was looking for!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2014 "Conversion option could not be initialised properly" trouble

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »