Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Studio not recognizing terms - it's driving me nuts!
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:37
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Good to know - also a thank you Dec 7, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

This problem doesn't seem to be affecting everyone, but we are aware of it and are working on it.

Thanks for the explanation Paul - yes, even an error message would be nice.

Also, thank you for the introduction of Quick Add New Term - that's an excellent feature!

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
yes, of course Dec 7, 2014

Hello Paul

SDL Support wrote:

• what languages you are working with,

• In this case, it is a pre-translated sdlxliff-file with English as the source language and German as the target language. The sdlxliff-file has been created with the alignment function of Trados Studio 2014 (SP2). I use this file with the objective of building a specific termbase.

• where the termbase is stored on your computer,

• The termbase is stored on my main drive (C:) in the documents folder ("documents" -> "SDL" -> "Termbases"). It is a normal SDLTB-termbase created with SDL MultiTerm 2014 SP2.

• what operating system,

• I use windows 8.

• the language of the operating system,

• The language of the operating system is German.

• the text you are using to reproduce this,

• It is a pre-translated sdlxliff-file made of two word-files (.doc). I aligned the two word files with the alignment function in Trados Studio 2014.

• the specific filetype too

• sdlxliff, sdltb

We also have some logging software we have been using, so if you are happy to run this for a little while I can make this available to you next week and perhaps this will shed some light on the problem for us?

Sure, why not.

[Edited at 2014-12-07 13:55 GMT]

Joern Wennerstroem
    Joern Wennerstroem  Identity Verified
    English to Danish
    Possible workaround Sep 3, 2017

I've had the same pesky problem with – in my case – Trados 2014. I work mostly in the language pair English > Danish and the behaviour is not frequent. An idea came up: why not add a "surprise" character to the term based on the assumption that something has gone amiss in the database/termbase running behind the scenes. My example: I have to deal with a thingy called WM50. I do not need a translation termwise, just that the name pops up unaltered in the Danish text. So in the Danish field in... See more
    I've had the same pesky problem with – in my case – Trados 2014. I work mostly in the language pair English > Danish and the behaviour is not frequent. An idea came up: why not add a "surprise" character to the term based on the assumption that something has gone amiss in the database/termbase running behind the scenes. My example: I have to deal with a thingy called WM50. I do not need a translation termwise, just that the name pops up unaltered in the Danish text. So in the Danish field in MultiTerm (2014) I wrote: WM50@ – lo and behold: now when I come across WM50 in the English text WM50@ pops up in the Danish text. The surplus @ can be stripped off later during the final check of the translation.

All the best,

Joern Wennerstroem
    Collapse

Sandra de Pablo
    Sandra de Pablo  Identity Verified
    Spain
    German to Spanish
    + ...
    Check Termbase Language setting Sep 21, 2017

I sometimes have the same problem. Sometimes I can see the term in the TB window, but not in Autossugest. Or I add a term and it never again appears as suggestion, and when I try to add it again I get the message that the term already exists.

My conclusion is that one of the causes might be that I don't have the right termbase language selected.

In Project Termbase Settings you have to check that the right termbase language is selected. I sometimes have Spanish and ES
    ... See more
    I sometimes have the same problem. Sometimes I can see the term in the TB window, but not in Autossugest. Or I add a term and it never again appears as suggestion, and when I try to add it again I get the message that the term already exists.

My conclusion is that one of the causes might be that I don't have the right termbase language selected.

In Project Termbase Settings you have to check that the right termbase language is selected. I sometimes have Spanish and ES there (maybe because of merging termbases), and changing it seems to work.
    Collapse

Selçuk Dilşen
    Selçuk Dilşen  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 21:37
    Member (2014)
    English to Turkish
    + ...
    Any solutions yet? Oct 1, 2017

I am asking this question with very little hope. Could SDL find a solution to this problem after almost FOUR (yes, a big FOUR) years since the topic was first started? I have the same problem for years: the terms I add are not recognized even after multiple restarts and it drives me nuts too! We are not children playing translation game in a kindergarten, we are professionals making a living out of this job and TIME IS MONEY!!!
    You, programmers at SDL, don't you think that it is an incredi
    ... See more
    I am asking this question with very little hope. Could SDL find a solution to this problem after almost FOUR (yes, a big FOUR) years since the topic was first started? I have the same problem for years: the terms I add are not recognized even after multiple restarts and it drives me nuts too! We are not children playing translation game in a kindergarten, we are professionals making a living out of this job and TIME IS MONEY!!!
    You, programmers at SDL, don't you think that it is an incredibly long time for solving such a problem? Or will it last 13 years, too, just like segment merging problem? Or should you better look for a job other than programming?
    Collapse

Michael Beijer

Matthias Brombach
    Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2007)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    Plural or singular? Oct 2, 2017

Selçuk Dilşen wrote:
    ... You, programmers at SDL, ...

How do you know SDL employs more than just one programmer?

[Edited at 2017-10-02 06:40 GMT]

Michael Beijer
    Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    Studio is such a colossal waste of everyone's time. Aug 12, 2018

Selçuk Dilşen wrote:

You, programmers at SDL, don't you think that it is an incredibly long time for solving such a problem? Or will it last 13 years, too, just like segment merging problem? Or should you better look for a job other than programming?

It's now 2018, and I am having the same problem in (so-called) brand new Studio 2019. This is really sad, and if you ask me, due to the crap underlying Access/Jet database system, which is as I said, just complete crap. Tons of stuff I know is in my MultiTerm termbase: is just not being recognised, and so when I try to add a term I think isn’t in my TB (because Studio doesn't tell me it is), it then says: ‘The term you are trying to add is already present in your termbase.’ :|

Or, there is the problem of tons of keyboard shortcuts simply not working at all, back in Studio 2015 already. I asked about it*, and (TWO YEARS AGO) Paul says, Oh, yeah, they're all dead, we might fix that sometime. Fast forward to Studio 2019, two years later, and they are all still dead in Studio 2019, although we all keep having to pay for upgrade after upgrade.

They need to fire & rehire the whole team and get their shit together. It's such a colossal waste of everyone's time. And it's a real shame because the program does have some really good ideas.

Michael

* https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/8454 + https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/8180

Dan Lucas
    Vladimir Matviyenko
    SpecializedTR

Dan Lucas
    Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Member (2014)
    Japanese to English
    Not recognising terms Aug 12, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:
    Tons of stuff I know is in my MultiTerm termbase: is just not being recognised, and so when I try to add a term I think isn’t in my TB (because Studio doesn't tell me it is), it then says: ‘The term you are trying to add is already present in your termbase.’

I ran into this problem literally five minutes ago. Yes, it has been a frequent annoyance for years, like many other things.

Dan

SpecializedTR

Michael Beijer
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    (The Joys of) Studio's Pathetic, Frustrating, Broken, Legacy Terminology System. Aug 12, 2018

Btw, I just chanced upon this interesting-looking program for working with terminology in Studio/MS Word:

http://www.rycat.cn/products/buy.htm
    https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/

I found it
    ... See more
    Btw, I just chanced upon this interesting-looking program for working with terminology in Studio/MS Word:

http://www.rycat.cn/products/buy.htm
    https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/

I found it while looking for a way to still use Studio, but not have to use its pathetic, frustrating, broken, legacy terminology system.

It's quite expensive ($150), but if it works, I'd gladly pay it if it meant I could actually use termbases again in Studio. So, so stupid: all that money, all that advertising, and … all those bugs!

Michael

screencast @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovwzv0as5xifsnh/RYCAT_DEMO.rar?dl=0
    Collapse

SpecializedTR

Michael Beijer
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    I fully recommend ‘RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler’ as a Studio termbase replacement! Sep 2, 2018

I have since bought RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler and can fully recommend it as a Studio termbase replacement!

I also just reviewed it @ https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/

Michael

Anthony Rudd
    Anthony Rudd

German to English
    + ...
    Also problem with regexes in Find/Replace Sep 3, 2018

Not only do I have the problems mentioned with TB, but also regular expressions do not function reliably with Find/Replace, although there is a workaround with ADF (Advanced Display Filter), but this means leaving the editor and it does not mark the hits. It is all very frustrating.

SpecializedTR

Erik Freitag
    Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2006)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Sounds promising Sep 3, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

I have since bought RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler and can fully recommend it as a Studio termbase replacement!

I also just reviewed it @ https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/

Michael

This sound promising indeed! Before I have a look at it, could you answer a couple of questions?

1. Will I be able to use my existing MT termbases?
    2. Will I have to convert these to a different format?
    3. Will attribute fields be preserved?

Thanks for taking your time!

Kind regards,
    Erik

Michael Beijer
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    some answers Sep 8, 2018

Erik Freitag wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Michael

This sound promising indeed! Before I have a look at it, could you answer a couple of questions?

1. Will I be able to use my existing MT termbases?
    2. Will I have to convert these to a different format?
    3. Will attribute fields be preserved?

Thanks for taking your time!

Kind regards,
    Erik

Hi Erik,

To be honest, I am not so sore yet, as I am just learning how to use it. However, I do know that the developer is very responsive and is in fact working on an update which should be released pretty soon, with a number of new features.

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, in addition to its own TB format (.rystb), RYS can also open .sdltb, and I think even Excel. I believe its native format is based on SQLite (which is cool), but I'm not yet sure. Definitely not the ancient Access/Microsoft Jet Studio/DVX still use!

2. I converted mine, as I prefer the native format as it works better/faster. But you can use .sdltb if you want.

3. I haven't used the feature yet myself, but, yes, you can. Have a look (see: ‘Map Fields To’ in 2nd screenshot):

RYS1

RYS3

Michael

Better images:

http://beijer.uk/screenshots/RYS1.PNG
    http://beijer.uk/screenshots/RYS3.PNG

[Edited at 2018-09-08 21:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-08 21:13 GMT]

SpecializedTR
    SpecializedTR  Identity Verified
    South Korea
    Korean to English
    + ...
    Doesn't work in 2109 SP2 Aug 26, 2019

The recognition still works as mentioned above - recognized sometimes, not recongnized the other times in 2019 SP2.

Buying trados was the worst choice in my life.

SpecializedTR
    SpecializedTR  Identity Verified
    South Korea
    Korean to English
    + ...
    I made a mistake... Aug 29, 2019

The latest version is not a 2019 SP2, but a 2019 SR2 just released.

And I made a big mistake; the term recognition does not work MOST OF TIME!

I bought the worst of worst choice in my life - buying a trados.

Alan Halls

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio not recognizing terms - it's driving me nuts!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »