Trados 2009 Error: The specified path, file name or both is too long...
Thread poster: Sara Alvarado
Sara Alvarado
Sara Alvarado  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
May 9, 2010

I am translating a project of 3 files (.doc) with Trados Suite 2009. Two can be translated without problems but the 3rd gives me this error on trying to open the file: "Error. The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters". The file name is only 5 letters long so what can I do to access the file for translation?

Sara Alvarado

César Eduardo Gil Carvajal
César Eduardo Gil Carvajal
Local time: 06:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
File route too deep May 10, 2010

Sara Alvarado wrote:

I am translating a project of 3 files (.doc) with Trados Suite 2009. Two can be translated without problems but the 3rd gives me this error on trying to open the file: "Error. The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters". The file name is only 5 letters long so what can I do to access the file for translation?

Sara Alvarado

Hi Sara,
It may be not a problem of the file name but of the file path (too many subfolders)
Hope it helps
Cesar

Natalex
Natalex  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
take pains to be careful Oct 23, 2012

I see the tread is pretty old, but still, I had the same problem today and after having some 20 tries at solving it I noticed that I wasn't paying enough attention to the folder the project would go to. So I created a new folder in the same folder with the unopened file for translating - and the process rocketed ahead) Btw, I didn't give the new folder any particular name - I left it as 'New Folder'.

(for me, it's C/desktop/Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/MyNewly-CreatedFolder)

... See more
I see the tread is pretty old, but still, I had the same problem today and after having some 20 tries at solving it I noticed that I wasn't paying enough attention to the folder the project would go to. So I created a new folder in the same folder with the unopened file for translating - and the process rocketed ahead) Btw, I didn't give the new folder any particular name - I left it as 'New Folder'.

(for me, it's C/desktop/Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/MyNewly-CreatedFolder)

When I tried to shorten the name of the file, it didn't help!

[Редактировалось 2012-10-23 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It all adds up Oct 23, 2012

The limit is for the total file path, i.e. all the folders plus the file name. The problem usually occurs if there are many levels of nested folders, but it could happen if you have an extremely long file name right in the root (C:\looooooooooooooooongfilename.doc, with about 250 o's in there).
You can shorten the name of the file, shorten the name of a folder or move the file so that there are fewer levels of folders, whatever is more convenient. Obviously it doesn't matter what you call
... See more
The limit is for the total file path, i.e. all the folders plus the file name. The problem usually occurs if there are many levels of nested folders, but it could happen if you have an extremely long file name right in the root (C:\looooooooooooooooongfilename.doc, with about 250 o's in there).
You can shorten the name of the file, shorten the name of a folder or move the file so that there are fewer levels of folders, whatever is more convenient. Obviously it doesn't matter what you call your folder, as long as the name is not too, well, long.
In case it's not obvious, this is not a Trados error per se. This is a limitation of Windows. (Unless Trados has a lower limit than the 256-character limit that Windows imposes.)
Collapse

Juan Miller
Juan Miller
Bangladesh
Path too long Apr 4, 2020

I suggest you Long Path Tool will let you easily

delete, copy or rename long path files, you can try it

for better service.

Juan Miller
Juan Miller
Bangladesh
Long path Tool Apr 4, 2020

Long path tool was always there for me in this type of

problem. I've been using it for months now and it is

really helpful

Juan Miller
Juan Miller
Bangladesh
Long path Tool Jul 3, 2020

I would suggest to use Long Path Tool program. It resolves problem regarding source path too long.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 Error: The specified path, file name or both is too long...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »