Fishy email allegedly from POS Nirvana (virus/trojan?)
Thread poster: Myriam Moreno Hijazo
Myriam Moreno Hijazo
Myriam Moreno Hijazo  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 15:50
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 25, 2020

I just got an email from the address [email protected], with no mention of how they got my contact or who they represent.

"Hello,
Please, read this and confirm

Regards,
[No signature]"

Attached is an Excel file called "CompensationClaim-650132616-11242020". The preview shows a single image with the words "PERFORM THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO PERFORM DECRYPTION

If this docu
... See more
I just got an email from the address [email protected], with no mention of how they got my contact or who they represent.

"Hello,
Please, read this and confirm

Regards,
[No signature]"

Attached is an Excel file called "CompensationClaim-650132616-11242020". The preview shows a single image with the words "PERFORM THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO PERFORM DECRYPTION

If this document was downloaded from Email, please click 'Enable Editing'
from the yellow bar above

Once You have Enable Editing, please click 'Enable Content'
from the yellow bar above

WHY I CANNOT OPEN THIS DOCUMENT?

You are using iOS or Android, please use Desktop PC

You are trying to view this document using Online Viewer
"

While I know better than to download a random file from an unknown sender onto my computer, I suspect it may contain malware.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let's make this a little easier Nov 26, 2020

There you are, sitting at home, minding your own business, and someone knocks at the door. You open the door, and someone you've never seen before in your life says "Hello, please read this and confirm". They say nothing else, and don't even say who they are, or what "this" is. Wouldn't you say "Thank you, but no", and close the door in their face? In fact, you could skip the talking. Better to not say anything, in fact, except maybe "Go away and don't come back, or I'll call the police."
... See more
There you are, sitting at home, minding your own business, and someone knocks at the door. You open the door, and someone you've never seen before in your life says "Hello, please read this and confirm". They say nothing else, and don't even say who they are, or what "this" is. Wouldn't you say "Thank you, but no", and close the door in their face? In fact, you could skip the talking. Better to not say anything, in fact, except maybe "Go away and don't come back, or I'll call the police."

You may not know what they want, but you don't want to either, because it can't be anything good.

[Edited at 2020-11-26 06:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-26 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

ahartje
Philippe Etienne
Robert Rietvelt
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fishy email allegedly from POS Nirvana (virus/trojan?)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »