Sara Cantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. But, once again... Oct 19, 2020

Somehow, I must agree with Lincoln. It is obvious that you do not check the SCAM forum on a regular basis in order to stay informed.
1. When you realized that this is a scam, you should've stop any communication with the scammer since you are not experienced enough to deal with them, but you continued for over a MONTH !!!!
2. You think it is a "she" - well, let me tell you that it is not a single person, it is a whole world-wide industry where these "narratives" are sold and bought o
... See more
Somehow, I must agree with Lincoln. It is obvious that you do not check the SCAM forum on a regular basis in order to stay informed.
1. When you realized that this is a scam, you should've stop any communication with the scammer since you are not experienced enough to deal with them, but you continued for over a MONTH !!!!
2. You think it is a "she" - well, let me tell you that it is not a single person, it is a whole world-wide industry where these "narratives" are sold and bought on the darknet.
3. I bet you received the check by FedEX (this is their usual MO) - keep it and frame it!

I wonder what did you try to achieve by communicating with the scammer for over a month?

To me, this is wasted time.

Stay safe,
lee [/quote]

I'll repeat some things from my original post...
1. I will admit that, no, I did not check the ProZ Scams forum regularly to stay informed. However, I already said that I checked the name and email on different scams sites.
2. RE: #1 -- Again, I also said that, while I was suspicious early on, I didn't realize for sure it was a scam right away. I didn't discard right away, juuuust on the off chance it was a legitimate job because, like countless others during these times, a high-paying job would have helped me financially. But after I knew for sure, I was simply asking for others' opinions on saying one last thing to this person, but I had no intention of keeping in contact.
2. RE: #2 -- No, I'm not convinced it was a "she." Note that I said "client" in quotes and things like "this person." I simply relied on the female pronoun for simplicity's sake since the name they gave is a female name.

I do thank you for reminding me to check the Scams forum regularly, informing me that FedEx is their M.O. ("she" sent it via USPS and with a tracking number, but it's good to know this for the future), suggesting I keep and frame the check (I kept a photocopy ), and wishing me to stay safe. Those are helpful or encouraging statements. However, my point for Lincoln still stands: please do not respond to my posts if you are going to be impolite and/or imply that I'm naïve. Telling someone what they should have done does no good as they cannot change the past; offering advice for the future, as you did in some parts, is more effective and professional. As is offering suggestions, providing information (without judging), sympathizing, or sharing one's own stories, as others in this post have done. We need to be supportive of each other, not tear each other down, after all.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Sara Cantrell
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True! Oct 19, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Sara Cantrell wrote:
I was considering something vague but direct like "I cannot do this translation for you. Please stop contacting me." Possibly adding "I've given your check to my bank's fraud department."

Thanks!

If you are afraid of, that this person will perhaps visit you one day (or night), because you already took a (fake) check by her, and she (if a "she" at all) has already made intimations in that way or in the way, that she/he knows, where you live (perhaps live alone), then you should contact the police and report it in a last email to the person in question, that you did contact them (even when you did not). Scammers mostly do not live in the same country, but when the check came from within the US, I may be wrong. But, as Kay-Viktor already stated, scammers are perfect social engineers and like to play with your fears when you show these towards them. At least your reaction to Lincolns post shows, that you are able to defend yourself in a way I wouldn´t be too worried about that (the scammer) and try to forget it as soon as possible.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-01 09:31 GMT]

Good point about being in physical danger. The check and the return address - they were different, of course - came from the U.S. Their phone numbers were U.S. numbers, too. I know none of those things mean they're actually in the U.S., but they never said anything to make me feel like I was in danger. Still, something to be cognizant of in the future so thanks!!

Sara Cantrell
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes :( Oct 19, 2020

[/quote]
Yes, we're taught good manners, we know that breaking things off with a guy is when we are the most at risk from him, we're taught not to make people mad even when they are literally raping us because they might escalate to murder. So yes it's hard. But in this situation, it's perfectly acceptable. They'll just move on to the next person, there are plenty of us after all, new sign-ups to Proz all the time. [/quote]

Ugh, yes, unfortunately, that's too true for woman.<
... See more
[/quote]
Yes, we're taught good manners, we know that breaking things off with a guy is when we are the most at risk from him, we're taught not to make people mad even when they are literally raping us because they might escalate to murder. So yes it's hard. But in this situation, it's perfectly acceptable. They'll just move on to the next person, there are plenty of us after all, new sign-ups to Proz all the time. [/quote]

Ugh, yes, unfortunately, that's too true for woman.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to reply to scammers (if at all)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »