Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
Serbian to English
+ ...
They don't want your money Oct 2, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What I mean, we are not exactly the best paid profession in the world. If I were a scammer, I wouldn't put all my efforts in scamming translators, but would go for something more 'substantial', so 'real money' in stead of 'peanuts'.

I don't get it, hence my question.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-08 17:00 GMT]

they only want to use your bank account.

The way the "overpayment" scam works they only need you to help them to make vanish into thin air (and then into their pockets) some faked / stolen / illegal money of theirs so it doesn't matter what they could take from you.

Pieter Groenhart
Pieter Groenhart
Netherlands
Local time: 11:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Scammer: Rosenov Zlatilov - 'Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU' - English to Dutch Oct 3, 2019

Scammer: Rosenov Zlatilov 'Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU' - English to Dutch
Email address of the scammer: [email protected]
IP address: 82.102.19.132

Was in contact with this scammer since this weekend. He accepted my rates last night and wanted me to send my bank details. Fortunately I was smart enough to search on this forum (and on Google) first, before sending him any of my detail
... See more
Scammer: Rosenov Zlatilov 'Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU' - English to Dutch
Email address of the scammer: [email protected]
IP address: 82.102.19.132

Was in contact with this scammer since this weekend. He accepted my rates last night and wanted me to send my bank details. Fortunately I was smart enough to search on this forum (and on Google) first, before sending him any of my details (or getting to work on that document about 'agricultural reforms').

To answer the questions people ask in this forum thread: The reason they want your bank details is because they will transfer a much larger amount of money than agreed to your account. The money will actually be there in your account for a few days, but will then be removed again because the funds were transferred using a fraudulent cheque. In the mean time the scammer will try to convince you to transfer the difference (between the amount you agreed on and what was actually transferred) back to them (in whatever way). Many people will agree to do that because they see the funds in their account and assume that this was a legitimate error. Unfortunately it is not..
Collapse

Daryo

Monica de Leon
Monica de Leon  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:14
English to Spanish
They're still at it Oct 3, 2019

It just happened to me. His "name" is Jeffrey Bergsten. He contacted me through LinkedIn. The file name is Research Project on Agricultural Reforms in the EU. 15149 words.

Mónica

Frank Dobbs
Frank Dobbs
United Kingdom
Member (2021)
French to English
+ ...
They're still at it Oct 29, 2019

The pirates! I'll be damned. I've gone back through my banking history, though, and there's been nothing untoward on there. The main thing I looked for was if they were asking for anything that would allow them to clear my account, like my PIN number, but there wasn't.

Emilie Péladé
Emilie Péladé
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Gülnihal ZORA TEKE is back! Dec 2, 2019

Gülnihal ZORA TEKE has finally replied after a long silence. Is there any way I can report on this person for scamming? I'm not sure why they are coming back to me now, maybe they are missing some information to be able to access my account and scam further?

Vanina LLOYD-COLOMB
Vanina LLOYD-COLOMB
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Scammer from August back at it! Dec 2, 2019

Hi all,

Scammer impersonating well established translator Gulnihal Zora Teke (using gmail account [email protected] and dodgy IP address 91.207.174.156 in Japan) is back at it, following up on the "transaction" they started back in August...

Cécile Frangi
Cécile Frangi
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Gülnihal ZORA TEKE impersonator still at it! Jan 30, 2020

They are still contacting me as well, one email on 2nd December which I ignored, another one today.
Their IP address was 105.112.41.62 the first time they got in touch via ProZ, their email is [email protected].

Genevieve Elisabeth Jarry
Genevieve Elisabeth Jarry  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
another scam 9984€ Feb 5, 2020

Hi everybody,
I read all your messages with interest.
I was scammed last November.

People's names contact were : Anna Smith via [email protected]
Intermediate name : Shin Michael via [email protected]
Bank account's owner : FRANKO STRAAL EN COATING F O AGY

These people have given me a lot of trouble, I wanted to tell P
... See more
Hi everybody,
I read all your messages with interest.
I was scammed last November.

People's names contact were : Anna Smith via [email protected]
Intermediate name : Shin Michael via [email protected]
Bank account's owner : FRANKO STRAAL EN COATING F O AGY

These people have given me a lot of trouble, I wanted to tell Proz.com but never found out how.
The scam was of 9984€ !

So I say it here.
Collapse

Genevieve Elisabeth Jarry
Genevieve Elisabeth Jarry  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
yes it was that project of Research project on agricultural reforms in EU Feb 5, 2020

Same people under different names !
Their bank is in Neederland, not surprising.
Always be aware of Dutch bank accounts.

Kenny Wesley
Kenny Wesley
Spain
French to English
+ ...
Happened to me too! Jul 6, 2020

My first concern was the purchaser NEVER returned my invoice signed. He continued to tell me to be on the lookout for his deposit, but ignored my reminders to return the signed invoice

My second concern was when I started to read through his essays, they were filled with incomplete sentences and grammatical errors.

My third concern was he consistently misquoted the agreed upon deposit amount, and it seemed intentional.

Of course, my final concern was him
... See more
My first concern was the purchaser NEVER returned my invoice signed. He continued to tell me to be on the lookout for his deposit, but ignored my reminders to return the signed invoice

My second concern was when I started to read through his essays, they were filled with incomplete sentences and grammatical errors.

My third concern was he consistently misquoted the agreed upon deposit amount, and it seemed intentional.

Of course, my final concern was him asking me to send back money.

That's when I decided to hop on here and search for proz scam threads. Thank you so much to whomever started this thread. You just saved me a lot of translation work and headache!

---

Here is the latest email he sent.

Sender Email: [email protected]

"Hello Kenny,

Good morning, hope your weekend went as planned? Like i said in my previous email, the payment has been made with an error and you will have over $10,000 in your account before the end of the week. The money was to be sent to the planner while the planner got the $1,050 advance payment for the translation. Please i have not been happy or able to sleep since this happen but i said to myself on the other hand you are a good person and we will definitely work this out. I am a good person and have always live my life with the golden principle of treating others as i will love to be treated. So kindly let me know as soon as you have the funds available in your account and we can sort it all out.​
​​
Thanks and Regards from Charles"
Collapse

Cécile Frangi
Cécile Frangi
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TranslationSecrets Scam Nov 14, 2020

Hey all,

Just to let you know I've received the following email which is a well-known scam:

Dear Translator

I hope this email finds you well.

Please send me your updated CV, rate for translation and proofreading, Skype, Whatsapp, Proz profile link, Facebook link, references of clients you worked with and samples of your previous work.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Mrs. Ta
... See more
Hey all,

Just to let you know I've received the following email which is a well-known scam:

Dear Translator

I hope this email finds you well.

Please send me your updated CV, rate for translation and proofreading, Skype, Whatsapp, Proz profile link, Facebook link, references of clients you worked with and samples of your previous work.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Mrs. Tasneem Hamza

URL: TranslationSecrets.com

Beware & take care!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank Information Scammers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »