Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
This sounds a bit fishy (cashier check or bank certified check proposed for payment)
Thread poster: Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
Thomas Walls
Thomas Walls
United States
Local time: 12:08
German to English
+ ...
The story continues - check sent via UPS Nov 12, 2020

The saga continues. They sent me a check in the amount of $3960.20, far above the amount I quoted them.

An alleged "Melissa195o" contact me from 2 email addresses (Melissa195o and Melissa1950 at protonmail) and a 737 (Chicago) number to ask me if I got the check. The explanation for the overpayment was as follows:

--
Hi there ? I am sorry for the delay. There is death in my sponsor family so I have a little delay, but I am happy to inform you that your payment has
... See more
The saga continues. They sent me a check in the amount of $3960.20, far above the amount I quoted them.

An alleged "Melissa195o" contact me from 2 email addresses (Melissa195o and Melissa1950 at protonmail) and a 737 (Chicago) number to ask me if I got the check. The explanation for the overpayment was as follows:

--
Hi there ? I am sorry for the delay. There is death in my sponsor family so I have a little delay, but I am happy to inform you that your payment has been mailed out to you by my sponsor and it will be delivered TODAY. Also we discussed considering you for the next phase of this project, but I need to be sure the first phase will be well translated. The additional fee for the next phase of the project was added because I don't want any further delay of payment any more. We've calculated the next phase with your rate, so the first phase and the next document will cost us $3,960.20 and that is the amount on the check. We don't have much time now and here is the information.

Amount on check:$3,960.20

Kindly confirm with me as soon as you receive the payment. I hope to hear from you soon

Regards.

--

It was sent via UPS Next-Day Air; according to the tracking number, it was shipped from Sparks, Nevada.

The return address was BSH Home Appliances Corp in Irvine, Calif. and the check was allegedly issued by TAPCO Credit Union of Tacoma, Wash. and "Payable through Catalyst Corporate FCU."

If anyone wants to collaborate on nailing these scammers, I am game. I've reported it to the FTC and to BSH.

-TW

Thomas Walls wrote:

I got the same thing from a protonmail address for a DE->EN translation (11150 words). I responded saying I was available, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your swift response. I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 7th of November 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

I look forward to reading from you soon,

----

I asked for more details about the company, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your response,...this is individual project,more so I am freelance researcher I do search for my sponsor and handle the project,I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again Payment option is Cashier Check , The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document ..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

I will always count on you,

Regards.
Collapse

(Sharon) Yibing Ni
(Sharon) Yibing Ni
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same thing happened to me, too Nov 27, 2020

Well, I got the exact same response and wordings from this email address ->> [email protected]
The reason I got suspicious in the first place was the domain of this email address which looks very strange to me.

Thomas Walls wrote:

I got the same thing from a protonmail address for a DE->EN translation (11150 words). I responded saying I was available, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your swift response. I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 7th of November 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

----

I asked for more details about the company, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your response,...this is individual project,more so I am freelance researcher I do search for my sponsor and handle the project,I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again Payment option is Cashier Check , The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document ..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

I will always count on you,

Regards.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
did you read the scam section about the overpayment scam? Nov 27, 2020

[quote]Thomas Walls wrote:

If anyone wants to collaborate on nailing these scammers, I am game. I've reported it to the FTC and to BSH.

-TW

The FBI has an online site to report it, but do not expect miracles. This is a well organized industry where its members could be from anywhere the world.
Usually, the ”head” scammers from abroad hire ”money mules” or ”arrows” in the US to withdraw the money, change it to bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency and send it to their TOR-encrypted wallets.
Sometimes, the scammers provide fake US IDs to the arrows (Eastern Europe has a very lucrative ”industry” by manufacturing fake US IDs.)

Stay safe,
lee

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Proton is a free email program like Gmail Nov 27, 2020

(Sharon) Yibing Ni wrote:

Well, I got the exact same response and wordings from this email address ->> [email protected]
The reason I got suspicious in the first place was the domain of this email address which looks very strange to me.

Another email address to watch out for! Not necessarily a red flag, but it does signal caution!
https://protonmail.com/

Carol Carol
Carol Carol
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Scam Alert in still on! March 16th, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Yesterday I got a gmail email asking for translation services from Eng> Chi. The individual sent me a short paragraph to translate, I did it, wasn't suspecting , until she said she agreed to pay my price quote and can make partial or full payment in advance. Of course it's a cashier check, and she wanted me to provide name/address/mobile number so she can send the check. This individual's contact ... See more
Yesterday I got a gmail email asking for translation services from Eng> Chi. The individual sent me a short paragraph to translate, I did it, wasn't suspecting , until she said she agreed to pay my price quote and can make partial or full payment in advance. Of course it's a cashier check, and she wanted me to provide name/address/mobile number so she can send the check. This individual's contact info is:
Name: Lindsey Moura
Email: [email protected]

SO I came here, saw exactly the same wording and response, then I confirmed. I'm new here, even newer at this forum, is there a scammer button on these people I can press? Can you share tips to differentiate good people/companies from those scammers? Thanks!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Read the SCAM section on a regular basis Mar 17, 2021

Carol Carol wrote:

Yesterday I got a gmail email asking for translation services from Eng> Chi. The individual sent me a short paragraph to translate, I did it, wasn't suspecting , until she said she agreed to pay my price quote and can make partial or full payment in advance. Of course it's a cashier check, and she wanted me to provide name/address/mobile number so she can send the check. This individual's contact info is:

SO I came here, saw exactly the same wording and response, then I confirmed. I'm new here, even newer at this forum, is there a scammer button on these people I can press? Can you share tips to differentiate good people/companies from those scammers? Thanks!

Keep yourself informed. There aren't too many scam narratives, but scammers use to recycle them once in a while.

Stay safe,
Lee

Carol Carol
Carol Carol
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Need Help with this one! Mar 19, 2021

Believe it or not, I actually got ANOTHER email soliciting translation services.
I asked this individual some questions and she answerd them. Her name is Ana, below is the exchange:

==============================
Me to Ana:

Hi Ana,

Can you please tell me more about this project -
What's the name and registered address of your company?
Who's the target audience of these documents?

... See more
Believe it or not, I actually got ANOTHER email soliciting translation services.
I asked this individual some questions and she answerd them. Her name is Ana, below is the exchange:

Me to Ana:

Hi Ana,

Ana's reply (copy+paste):

The document will be use by University a students and not to be published. My address is 11250 Park Meadows Dr, Apt
South Haven, MI 49090 and I am individual freelancer
Your total amount looks very good with your delivery time. To make this easier for both parties, you will receive a 50% deposit upfront to start and the balance upon completion of the project. If this works for you, kindly get back to me with the details below so that the payment can be facilitated via wire transfer / direct deposit, apple pay or by check as soon as possible.

For wire transfer / direct deposit
Bank Name:
Bank Address:
Beneficiary Address:
Name of Beneficiary:
Account number:
Routing Number:
Phone number:

For Check
Your full name as it should appear on the check
Address:
Phone number:
================================

This person actually provided her physical address and said she's freelance as well. What got me suspicious is, throughout the entire exchange, we never talked about deadlines or exact delivery date, and she already agreed to pay 50% upfront and asked for payment onfo.
My instinct is saying another scammer... but is it?

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
Carol Carol wrote:

Keep yourself informed. There aren't too many scam narratives, but scammers use to recycle them once in a while.

Stay safe,
Lee

[Edited at 2021-03-19 08:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 08:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 08:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-19 08:36 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
yes, it is a scam Mar 20, 2021

[quote]Carol Carol wrote:

Me to Ana:

Hi Ana,

Ana's reply (copy+paste):

The document will be use by University a students and not to be published. My address is 11250 Park Meadows Dr, Apt
South Haven, MI 49090 and I am individual freelancer
Your total amount looks very good with your delivery time. To make this easier for both parties, you will receive a 50% deposit upfront to start and the balance upon completion of the project. If this works for you, kindly get back to me with the details below so that the payment can be facilitated via wire transfer / direct deposit, apple pay or by check as soon as possible.

For wire transfer / direct deposit
Bank Name:
Bank Address:
Beneficiary Address:
Name of Beneficiary:
Account number:
Routing Number:
Phone number:

For Check
Your full name as it should appear on the check
Address:
Phone number:
================================

This person actually provided her physical address and said she's freelance as well. What got me suspicious is, throughout the entire exchange, we never talked about deadlines or exact delivery date, and she already agreed to pay 50% upfront and asked for payment onfo.
My instinct is saying another scammer... but is it?

1- Ask yourself WHY did she chose you?

2- Asking way to many more details about your bank account than about your skills/experience in the field, etc.

3-Offer to pay 50% upfront ????? I have been working in this field for over 25 years and I don't remember being offered to be paid in advance, without an explicit request from me.

4- If she is a freelance translator in the US, most probably her name is on the ATA directory.

5- Did she provide her contact phone number so you can check it?

6- You asked some specific questions about her company, about the project; did she answer?

7 -This sounds like the over-used "overpayment scam"!

Stay safe,
Lee

[Edited at 2021-03-20 18:50 GMT]

Kristina Love
Kristina Love  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
This thread helped me spot the scam before it started Jul 18, 2021

I was targeted for this type of scam as well. Someone emailing from a free web-based email asking me to translate a document, sending a document when I ask for more info, and then immediately proposing payment by cashier's check. It didn't seem right. I learned about this cashier's check/ overpayment scam here and elsewhere online.

The good thing is that scammers like to use the same scams for quite a while so usually if something smells fishy and you're not sure about it, you can
... See more
I was targeted for this type of scam as well. Someone emailing from a free web-based email asking me to translate a document, sending a document when I ask for more info, and then immediately proposing payment by cashier's check. It didn't seem right. I learned about this cashier's check/ overpayment scam here and elsewhere online.

The good thing is that scammers like to use the same scams for quite a while so usually if something smells fishy and you're not sure about it, you can do a little online research and nine times out of ten someone else has reported the same scam in recognizable detail.

I'm glad I didn't fall prey to it. But I found that when I told this person I was not interested, then reported them for spam, that didn't quite end the problem. I was then repeatedly contacted by the same person or one of their cronies in disguise two or three more times, and it disgusted me so much that I disabled receiving any email through ProZ.
Collapse

S.A.Braithwaite
S.A.Braithwaite
United States
Member (2021)
French to English
+ ...
Client refused to sign a contract before sending payment for a job Aug 16, 2021

And is now threatening to hold me liable for "damages."

I wish I had combed these forums thoroughly before providing any personal information. I now see that it is a classic overpayment scam ("please forward excess to my moving company"). I odn't even know if it was a cashier's or personal check. I returned it unopened.

I'm new to freelancing after many years in house, so thank you for the suggestions above on the questions to ask up front.

Bruce Tuggy
Bruce Tuggy
United States
Local time: 09:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
I almost fell for it but stopped before cashing the check Aug 20, 2021

Shortly after I re-registered my business, Sierra Translation Services, my first job offer came from one of these scammers on January 28, 2021. I didn't know anything about PROZ at the time, unfortunately.

I assumed they were honest, but they kept bumbling one thing after another, like referring to an attached document that was missing. I looked at the sample document they eventually sent me and quoted a high price. Here's what they said:
Shortly after I re-registered my business, Sierra Translation Services, my first job offer came from one of these scammers on January 28, 2021. I didn't know anything about PROZ at the time, unfortunately.

I assumed they were honest, but they kept bumbling one thing after another, like referring to an attached document that was missing. I looked at the sample document they eventually sent me and quoted a high price. Here's what they said:
I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you but the payment can only made by CHEQUE Or a MONEY ORDER and is Within the US only, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me as soon as possible.

I sent the requested details.
_________
Feb. 17, 2021
I am sorry for the delay. There is death in my sponsor family so I have a little delay, but I am happy to inform you that your payment has been mailed out to you by my sponsor and it will be delivered TODAY or TOMORROW. Also we discussed considering you for the next phase of this project, but I need to be sure the first phase will be well translated. The additional fee for the next phase of the project was added because I don't want any further delay of payment any more. We've calculated the next phase with your rate, so the first phase and the next document will cost us $3,970.70 and that is the amount on the check. We don't have much time now and here is the information.

Amount on check:$3,970.70

Kindly confirm with me as soon as you receive the payment. I hope to hear from you soon

Regards.

Finally, on Feb. 24, 2021, I received a UPS Next Day Air from FL to CA with a check in it for the whole project, for $3,970.70.

The strange thing was that the check was from a plumbing and heating company in Ohio. Finally I became suspicious! (A little slow, I know!) I called that company and they said it was a fraudulent check. They weren't surprised to hear my story (apparently others had contacted them also). I sent them an image of the check and dropped the whole thing.

As long as I don't cash the check, no harm will be done, as far as I can tell.

Here are the clues that I could have picked up on:

The strange use of the English language.
The confusing terms of the proposal.
The continual bumbling.
Requiring my personal information.
The upfront overpayment.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks,
Ed
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Bonita Tan
Bonita Tan
Local time: 11:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
Got one today 9/21/2012 Sep 21, 2021

It is from Linda Cameron

Here is the email:

-----------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for your swift reply, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 23-of September-2021. I'm proposin
... See more
It is from Linda Cameron

Here is the email:

-----------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for your swift reply, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 23-of September-2021. I'm proposing a Cashier's Check. You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

----------------------------------------------

Looks just like some of the emails posted in this thread.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Joanna Cruz-Rejos
Joanna Cruz-Rejos
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received the same email--watch out for a Linda Anderson Nov 24, 2021

Initially, I thought it could be someone really needing help as I have emailed people here myself. However, after getting her response I knew it was a scam when the cashier's check was mentioned. Also, I couldn't find anyone when I googled this person's email so that was a no from me. He/She is now flagged for phishing. Below is the email thread:

Hey there?I would like to know if you are available to
translate an Englis
... See more
Initially, I thought it could be someone really needing help as I have emailed people here myself. However, after getting her response I knew it was a scam when the cashier's check was mentioned. Also, I couldn't find anyone when I googled this person's email so that was a no from me. He/She is now flagged for phishing. Below is the email thread:

Hey there?I would like to know if you are available to
translate an English document into Spanish?Reply to me on (
[email protected] )Many thanks..Linda
----------------------------------------

Dear Linda,

I appreciate your email regarding the translation of the document.

Could you please send a sample, word count, and by what date would you need it? Thanks.

Best regards,
Joanna Rejos

---------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for your swift reply, I am very sorry for the late reply.I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 25th of November 2021. I'm proposing a Cashier's Check. You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

Regards

--------------------------------------------

BLOCKED!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This sounds a bit fishy (cashier check or bank certified check proposed for payment)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »