Company banned from posting with good BB rating - what does this mean?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2020

I have found a possible client on another translation portal, and when I checked their BB rating it was 4.3 points (past 12 months) and 4.4 (total). Even so, they have been banned from posting on ProZ. I assume that this is a red flag, but would just like to know why they could have been banned if their rating is not that bad. There is a link to a message but there is no information, just that the client has been banned. Their rating includes two people who complained about late payment (score 1... See more
I have found a possible client on another translation portal, and when I checked their BB rating it was 4.3 points (past 12 months) and 4.4 (total). Even so, they have been banned from posting on ProZ. I assume that this is a red flag, but would just like to know why they could have been banned if their rating is not that bad. There is a link to a message but there is no information, just that the client has been banned. Their rating includes two people who complained about late payment (score 1) and many other people who gave 5.0.
Some of the ratings come with a graph symbol, it would be interesting to see these graphs but for some reason I can't access them. Don't know why.
Could someone explain this please?
I would like to take this job, especially with the desperate situation of the market in Brazil - but I am worried because of this ban. They contacted me directly by e-mail.
Collapse

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
It does happen Apr 17, 2020

Most likely they used to be non-payers but then management changed and the company is OK but they are banned. I have this situation with a couple of clients (one contacted me directly, same as you, they were banned but had good rating for the past year; they paid on time)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BB not reliable Apr 17, 2020

The BB is not reliable.

If you really want to work for that agency, I suggest you:

1. Get their business address and Tax Code before you start.
2. Get a clear written agreement with them setting out what you will do, how much you will be paid, and the deadline for payment. A simple email will be enough.
3. Decide what your strategy is going to be if they don't pay you.

[Edited at 2020-04-17 15:33 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Research first, ask second Apr 17, 2020

Paul,

You are a translator, you know how to perform documentary and other research, come on!

There is a BlueBoard FAQ, you can read all about this before posting.

For example, here is one relevant question and answer:

What does the message This outsourcer has been banned from posting jobs at ProZ.com mean?

As per ProZ.com termination policy, if a total of two non-payment complaints regarding a single outsourcer have been
... See more
Paul,

You are a translator, you know how to perform documentary and other research, come on!

There is a BlueBoard FAQ, you can read all about this before posting.

For example, here is one relevant question and answer:

What does the message This outsourcer has been banned from posting jobs at ProZ.com mean?

As per ProZ.com termination policy, if a total of two non-payment complaints regarding a single outsourcer have been received from unrelated sources, the issue will be brought to ProZ.com staff for review. At its sole discretion, ProZ.com staff may then choose to suspend or revoke the outsourcer's right to use ProZ.com. This note refers to that suspension.

https://www.proz.com/faq/blue_board_outsourcer_database_/blue_board:_general.html#what_does_the_message_i_this_outsourcer_has_been_banned_from_posting_jobs_at_proz_com_i_mean_
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
esperantisto
Jorge Payan

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Risk assessment Apr 17, 2020

You have to carry out your own risk assessment.

• How old are the non-payment reports? Are they older or newer than the positive ratings?
• What does paymentpractices.net and other resources say about them?
• Is there any way you can check their financial situation?
• Have you asked them to comment on the non-payment reports?
• You much money are you risking?

As Tom says, the Blue Board is not that reliable. Good outsourcers can get ba
... See more
You have to carry out your own risk assessment.

• How old are the non-payment reports? Are they older or newer than the positive ratings?
• What does paymentpractices.net and other resources say about them?
• Is there any way you can check their financial situation?
• Have you asked them to comment on the non-payment reports?
• You much money are you risking?

As Tom says, the Blue Board is not that reliable. Good outsourcers can get bad ratings based on incorrect information and bad outsourcers can get good ratings if they game the system. My best client has a measly rating of 4.3, for example. They can be a bit disorganised and bureaucratic, but they are nice (and quirky) people to work with and certainly not dishonest. A recent rating of 1 says they only pay by PayPal, and that is demonstrably false.

In the present situation, it may make sense to take a higher risk than normal if your time would have been wasted anyway, although you obviously don't want others to take advantage of that.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paul Apr 17, 2020

Paul Dixon wrote:
Their rating includes two people who complained about late payment (score 1) and many other people who gave 5.0.

As for how or why agencies get banned:
https://www.proz.com/termination_policy
https://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=faq

The fact that ProZ.com banned an agency from posting does not mean that it is a bad agency. It simply means that they crossed the line twice. A few of my most prolific and well paying agency clients are banned from posting on ProZ.com. Treat the notice as just one more flag to consider.

Some of the ratings come with a graph symbol, it would be interesting to see these graphs but for some reason I can't access them. Don't know why.

The graphs are visible to Plus members. They're an attempt to get more useful ratings than the simple score of 1 to 5. Translators who post reviews, are asked to rate agencies based on these additional categories:
- Easy/Enjoyable to work with
- Considers quality
- Straightforward on-boarding
- Adheres to terms
- Reasonable payment terms

The graphs are not very useful, though, because translators who are angry with an agency tend to give low ratings for all these categories regardless of the truth.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Some cases of non-payment are not closed Apr 18, 2020

Paul Dixon wrote:
I have found a possible client on another translation portal, and when I checked their BB rating it was 4.3 points (past 12 months) and 4.4 (total). Even so, they have been banned from posting on ProZ. I assume that this is a red flag, but would just like to know why they could have been banned if their rating is not that bad.

Paul, this company had many cases of non-payment in the past (this was the reason for the ban), most of these cases were closed, however two cases are still open (since 2018). The ban may be lifted only in case the outsourcer closes all non-payments.

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Company banned from posting with good BB rating - what does this mean?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »