Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
VAT charged to add funds to wallet
Thread poster: Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Oct 31, 2019

I have found an indirect source that backs what Thomas T. Frost says above.

Here, Upwork (another platform) explains why they charge VAT to EU residents who do not have a valid VAT number.

You can mostly replace Upwork with ProZ in this instance.

Also, in my first post, when I said the VAT charge "should be lifted", I have actually checked before stating this. Likewise, when renewing my ProZ membership, upon entering my EU VAT, the VAT charge was lifted.... See more
I have found an indirect source that backs what Thomas T. Frost says above.

Here, Upwork (another platform) explains why they charge VAT to EU residents who do not have a valid VAT number.

You can mostly replace Upwork with ProZ in this instance.

Also, in my first post, when I said the VAT charge "should be lifted", I have actually checked before stating this. Likewise, when renewing my ProZ membership, upon entering my EU VAT, the VAT charge was lifted.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211061278--Value-Added-Tax-VAT-

Why is VAT being collected?
Upwork is an online platform that brings freelancers and clients together. As our membership and activity have continued to grow in the EU, assessing VAT is an important element to continue providing services there.

Based on Directive 2006/112/EC ("EU VAT Directive") Upwork's services qualify as electronically supplied services (ESS), which are subject to VAT at the place where the customer (i.e. the freelancer) is established or resides.

Therefore, the services supplied by Upwork to freelancers who reside, have a permanent address, or are established in the European Union are subject to VAT there. Upwork is responsible for charging, collecting and remitting this VAT when providing these services to our EU customers.

Note: When a freelancer submits a valid, EU formatted VAT number to Upwork we don't charge VAT. In these cases, the VAT may still be due but would be "reverse charged" to the freelancer. In other words, these freelancers will have to personally report any VAT that is due for Upwork's services.

I'm exempt from paying VAT in my country. Are you still going to charge me?
Example: I am a declared auto-entrepreneur in France. I have a number, but I don't pay VAT.

No, Upwork won't charge VAT to anyone who has provided a valid VAT number. When Upwork is audited by your government, we are required to substantiate that we have charged VAT to all VAT non-taxable persons and that we have reverse-charged VAT to all taxable persons.

[Edited at 2019-10-31 17:34 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT charged to add funds to wallet

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »