Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Exy, exclusively your choice: Nov 24, 2020

Which model for Christine would you prefer: this one?

IMG_20201124_125044

expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Or this? Nov 24, 2020

Exy, your choice, for Christine!

IMG_20201124_125204

We count on you!

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:46
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Matthias :-D Nov 24, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Exy, your choice, for Christine!

IMG_20201124_125204

We count on you!

I don't like this one with sunglasses

[Edited at 2020-11-24 12:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-24 12:19 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Six pack Nov 24, 2020

An alligator with a six pack, well ... Or a ten pack, more like. Or is it a crocodile? I never could tell the difference.

[Edited at 2020-11-24 12:58 GMT]

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me neither Nov 24, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

An alligator with a six pack, well ... Or a ten pack, more like. Or is it a crocodile? I never could tell the difference.

[Edited at 2020-11-24 12:58 GMT]

So, for the avoidance of doubt, I think we should pick this model instead:

transferir

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nice gentleman! Nov 24, 2020

Hard to understand (for me with my untrained ears), but these two remind me of the discussions in the lunchrooms at "my" Volkswagen plant in the middle of the 80es in East Frisia during my apprenticeship, with all the ex farmworkers, fishermen, and peat diggers around. But they built the best cars in those times.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cook and Moore Nov 24, 2020

Yes, Matthias, you need to be born over there to understand those two 100% of the time, and even then there are a couple of things that were lost on me. Like in East Frisia, they could well have been employees at a British car plant having a pint after work.

As I remember, apart from the main theme of both of them being fed up with bothersome beauties constantly contacting them, that conversation was mostly improvised. And this video is quite mild for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Th
... See more
Yes, Matthias, you need to be born over there to understand those two 100% of the time, and even then there are a couple of things that were lost on me. Like in East Frisia, they could well have been employees at a British car plant having a pint after work.

As I remember, apart from the main theme of both of them being fed up with bothersome beauties constantly contacting them, that conversation was mostly improvised. And this video is quite mild for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. They were famous for using some very foul language whenever they could get away with it.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
VW Nov 24, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

these two remind me of the discussions in the lunchrooms at "my" Volkswagen plant in the middle of the 80es in East Frisia during my apprenticeship. But they built the best cars in those times.

Today they build the best cheating devices.

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:46
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
RE: RE: RE: FW: RE: URGENT PROJECT PLEASE REPLY ASAP 350K WORDS FOR TOMORROW Nov 26, 2020

Urgency

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 26, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Urgency

Thank you Felipe, this has made my day!

Felipe Lacerda

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"El éxito está aquí": Nov 27, 2020

spanish-starbucks-e1435677419629

In Spanish the word “éxito” actually means “success”, that's what this thread is.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'd rather ___________ than do your translation, buddy. Nov 30, 2020

A success indeed, as Sandra says in the previous post, and we have Tom in London to thank for this frivolity sanctuary.

It's just a thought, and it may not come to anything, but considering the assortment of delightfully twisted and twistedly delightful mindsets we seem to have on this site (yes, I know it's not very good, but it's getting late and my get-up-and-go is getting up and going), I thought maybe we could arrange a small competition. It's all been cleared with HQ in Syrac
... See more
A success indeed, as Sandra says in the previous post, and we have Tom in London to thank for this frivolity sanctuary.

It's just a thought, and it may not come to anything, but considering the assortment of delightfully twisted and twistedly delightful mindsets we seem to have on this site (yes, I know it's not very good, but it's getting late and my get-up-and-go is getting up and going), I thought maybe we could arrange a small competition. It's all been cleared with HQ in Syracuse, of course, as usual. The Top Three chosen get a smart T-shirt with "Go with ProZ!" emblazoned on it in large red letters. Plus free legal advice, if required subsequently.

The usual rules apply: Entries on a postcard etc. etc. ... management is totally unaware of this scheme, does not condone or support it, and takes no responsibility etc. etc. ... no one will read your daft postcard ... there are no prizes as such etc. etc.

The contest consists of filling in the gap above with what you yearn to say to certain customers, but can't, for whatever reason. Or it could be something you HAVE said in the past, in fact, why not?

I'll start the ball rolling with:

+++
I'd rather watch the Eurovision Kids Song Contest 24 hours a day at full volume for an entire month than do your translation, buddy.
+++

As one of you out there knows from a conversation earlier, that's not my real proposal, which was much more dubious. Let's just say it wasn't viable. So emulate me on that criterion, please. There's no point getting Tom's thread ditched. What I mean is, reasonable taste should prevail at all times. Unlike the Eurovision Kids Song Contest.

[Edited at 2020-11-30 19:27 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 23:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'd rather listen to Baby a thousand times than do your translation, buddy. Nov 30, 2020

No offence, Beliebers. I hated the word 'baby' before the song was born.

Edit: After I posted the above, I went to find out what the Eurovision Kids Song Contest was. I withdraw my lame entry.

[Edited at 2020-11-30 20:59 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Zibow Nov 30, 2020

If you didn't know what the Eurovision Kids was, I'd never heard "Baby" before, although I'd heard of Mr Bieber, of course. So I found it, and listened to it for at least 30 seconds.

I must say yours is a fine entry in the contest, Zibow, because I could genuinely feel an uncontrollable psychotic rage rising up in me, simply after listening to the first few lines spelling out the psyche of tortuous teenage love, and that alone, never mind repeatedly or 24 hours a day:

<
... See more
If you didn't know what the Eurovision Kids was, I'd never heard "Baby" before, although I'd heard of Mr Bieber, of course. So I found it, and listened to it for at least 30 seconds.

I must say yours is a fine entry in the contest, Zibow, because I could genuinely feel an uncontrollable psychotic rage rising up in me, simply after listening to the first few lines spelling out the psyche of tortuous teenage love, and that alone, never mind repeatedly or 24 hours a day:

Ooh whoa, ooh whoa, ooh whoa
You know you love me, I know you care
Just shout whenever and I'll be there
You are my love, you are my heart
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I'd rather go peat digging again in East Frisia than do your PEMT, buddy! Nov 30, 2020

... my five cents, Mervyn, thank you for taking up the thread again. I was thinking about converting this thread into a kind of Secret Santa (julklapp) for the remaining 24 days until Christmas, because we have dealt with a nice choice of products and things so far, which remain unused now. Examples:
- pea sausages
- sunglasses
- Pirelli calendar*
- Christine
- nutmegs
- the replaced Mexican commas from the neighbor thread
- pills to cure hyperuricemia... See more
... my five cents, Mervyn, thank you for taking up the thread again. I was thinking about converting this thread into a kind of Secret Santa (julklapp) for the remaining 24 days until Christmas, because we have dealt with a nice choice of products and things so far, which remain unused now. Examples:
- pea sausages
- sunglasses
- Pirelli calendar*
- Christine
- nutmegs
- the replaced Mexican commas from the neighbor thread
- pills to cure hyperuricemia
- a toilet seat (where did that come from? I can´t remember)
- the lost (looking) eyes of Alain Delon
- dairy products
- an invalid flight ticket Brussel - Cairo - Brussel
- the London machine
- an extremely right-wing supermarket in East Germany
- a lost Chinese website, where you can choose between strange options
- underwear picked from the trees and bushes in Tom Bones' garden
etc., but I don´t know how to prepare these items on a daily basis and to whom and how they should be granted. Any ideas?

* in proper proportions, of course

[Bearbeitet am 2020-12-01 06:38 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »