Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:16
German to English
+ ...
Underhand name-changing Nov 3, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Just a couple more unhelpful, unnecessary and unsolicited pieces of advice:

Forget about the cat. It's not going to help you out. Like Magnificat in Southwark Cathedral, everything is about The Cat, not you. All that winding itself around your leg, back-arching and purring doesn't mean what you think it means. What that means is "Remember to make sure my Whiskas are in the bowl sharpish today, woman. Remember who's in charge here. Do you seriously think I'm going to sit around here wasting my time licking my paws simply because there's no tuna to be had?"

And I get your anxiety, I really do, but the sudden overnight name change? It might help, I agree, in the long run, but it might be premature, far too early to take such a drastic move. Like I said before, it's probably all a big misunderstanding, so no need to try and rush into anonymity just yet. Still, it's done now, so that's torn it.

See, I assumed I was always me on ProZ (nothing to hide, even my Aero-anxiety), but then when you called me 'A Burt', I initially thought you were addressing me as 'a Burt' and I nearly Googled it to see if it was a compliment or an insult until I realised my name had somehow changed to such, so I hastily changed it back to reveal the true me again. Wasnie my intentional doing, I can assure you.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Now there's a proper chocolate bar Nov 3, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Is this an on-topic post in an on-topic thread of an off-topic subforum? Or an on-topic post in an off-topic thread of an off-topic subforum? Or perhaps an off-topic post in an off-topic thread of an off-topic subforum?]

All of those. But please stick to the topic (and be sure the topic doesn't stick to you)

513ef7ba5bf45c8b017ae881d10c612c

[Edited at 2020-11-03 11:17 GMT]

I used to love Topics. That's a proper chocolate bar right there. I haven't seen them for years though – maybe they've been ditched to make way for all the new and weird Aero flavours?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 11:16
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I was in a hurry Nov 3, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

They might have been down earlier, but it looks to me like nobody's being very serious now! Is all your work equipment functioning 100% again?

I haven't read carefully all the comments before, as I was in a hurry to leave. I had to go my old mum, too... and visiting my "loved ones".
My city is not the same, streets are almost empty, there are more policemen and patrols on the streets, people's expressions are different, but we make an effort to smile and tell some jokes to give a loud laugh.
Tomorrow, it will be declared the state of emergency.
Yes, everything is fine with my work equipment. My computer is protected against any virus right now (a license's problem), except its owner.
I'm sorry, today is my "serious" day, but I enjoyed the chocolate's topic.
I will try to change my mood

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Exy Nov 3, 2020

"My computer is protected against any virus right now (a license's problem), except its owner."

Hee-hee!! Very sharp there, Exy.

I'm very sorry about the state of emergency, though. We might be joining you back on the balconies in a day or so.

Stay safe!

expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Also in Italy Nov 3, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Me in Italy again since September, (which is good so someone can buy food and medicine for my infected son) tomorrow semitotal or total lockdown in at least 3 regions, (mine included).

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I have to delete Nov 3, 2020

The post was double for mistake

[Edited at 2020-11-03 16:03 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Balconies and Activities Nov 3, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

"My computer is protected against any virus right now (a license's problem), except its owner."

Hee-hee!! Very sharp there, Exy.

I'm very sorry about the state of emergency, though. We might be joining you back on the balconies in a day or so.

Stay safe!

We will overcome this together! It's only a passing thing, a dark shadow.
Here's how (in a funny way) Portuguese deal with quarantine.
They learn new things like learning how to do wine tasting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGTsWpMN790&list=RDWs-sD0QsslY&index=10
Stay safe

Angela B
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Gli auguro una pronta guarigione! Nov 3, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Me in Italy again since September, (which is good so someone can buy food and medicine for my infected son) tomorrow semitotal or total lockdown in at least 3 regions, (mine included).

Wishing your son a speedy and full recovery!

PS: You are entitled to proofread the Italian, please.

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Exy Nov 3, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

PS: You are entitled to proofread the Italian, please.

Thank you very much,

Bigh hug!

[Edited at 2020-11-03 17:08 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My Achilles' heel Nov 3, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Thank you very much, your sentence is almost perfect, just GLI instead of LE since my son is a male

Bigh hug!

[Edited at 2020-11-03 16:57 GMT]

Feminine and masculine were always one of my weaknesses. Thanks!
A big one for you too!

It has already been corrected in the tile: "le" with "gli".

[Edited at 2020-11-03 17:05 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Angie Nov 4, 2020

Angie,

Mick (Jagger) rang me last night. The guy's always ringing me, never gives me a moment's peace, but this time I used it to my advantage to ask him if the Stones could maybe do a little song for you. "Any song at all," I said. "It would help," I added, "although for no particular reason, if you could ask Keith and the guys to kind of rejuvenate a little and wear the clothes of many, many years ago." He said "Of course, of course we'll do that," and so here it is:

... See more
Angie,

Mick (Jagger) rang me last night. The guy's always ringing me, never gives me a moment's peace, but this time I used it to my advantage to ask him if the Stones could maybe do a little song for you. "Any song at all," I said. "It would help," I added, "although for no particular reason, if you could ask Keith and the guys to kind of rejuvenate a little and wear the clothes of many, many years ago." He said "Of course, of course we'll do that," and so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZn2-bGXqQ
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Mervyn Nov 4, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Angie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZn2-bGXqQ

A big hug! I am rejuvenating

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You're welcome Nov 4, 2020

Although it was as much as I could do to get Jagger off the bloody phone. Kept saying Miss You, and wanted to come around with some Puerto Rican girls, he said, who're "just dyyyyyyin' to meetcha". He also said something about bringing a case of wine and fooling around like we used to. I had to tell him to bog off and pull himself together, maybe hit Madison Square Gardens or something, get it out of his system ...

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
uh Nov 4, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

and wanted to come around with some Puerto Rican girls, ...

I hope not with Puerto Rican Jane stolen to Springsteen???

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Talking about Mick Nov 4, 2020

You know the story about Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithful and the Mars bar?

And that all three of them have always denied it ever happened?

What? You can already see where this is going?

Fine. Add your own punchline then.

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »